Windows 10: No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack

Discus and support No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, there was an upgrade to Wins 10 2004 version and after the upgrade, my sound from audio jack has become distorted. Hence I rolled back to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ern815, Aug 8, 2020.

1. ern815 Win User

No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack

Hi guys, there was an upgrade to Wins 10 2004 version and after the upgrade, my sound from audio jack has become distorted. Hence I rolled back to the previous version of Win 10 but problem still persist.

After reading some solutions, I tried uninstalling the realtek driver and have it auto re-install and it worked for a while but the sound issue has gone back subsequently. Now the issue is that I can hear a very very faint sound on my earphones when I plugged it in.

I was wondering if anyone has the same issue and if there's a solution to this problem? It has been persisting over the past 2 days. I'm also not sure if the auto update of the sound drivers have caused the issue?

It seems plausible that MEDIA - 6.0.8960.1 could be the culprit since it was later auto installed to my laptop just now.

:)

ern815, Aug 8, 2020

2. Cackling sounds when plugging earphones to laptop

By dirty connection, the laptop audio jack? The earphones I currently use is just new, arrived yesterday. And both earphones I used for testing has 4 zones.

NatsuIgneelFT, Aug 8, 2020
  3. applepie Win User
    Windows 10: No Sound coming out of earphones (only speakers work)

It's a laptop (dual booting Win10[recently upgraded from win7 64bit] and Elementary OS Freya)

It's nothing to do with hardware issues

Earphones worked fine on my Elementary OS so my audio jack is definitely not broken or anything like that. Earphones work on my phone as well so i'm quite positive it's to do with windows 10 only.

No sound coming out of earphones

There's no sound coming out of the earphones, and I'm sure it's nothing to do with them because they work fine when I plug them into my phone. Also, I've tried another pair of earphones which resulted the same. However, the sound works perfectly without the earphones plugged into my laptop, the speakers are fine.

unsure if it's to do with drivers

I've tried uninstalling the Realtek HD audio drivers, reinstalling and nothing works.

However, I have Windows 10 but could only find drivers for Windows 7/8

settings

I've googled a bit and most would suggest something like checking the playback devices but the only one on my list is 'Speakers'.

Realtek detected my earphones

When I plug in my earphones, Realtek detected them and even popped up the notification saying 'you just plugged a device into the audio jack'

http://imgur.com/dFqaTU1
    as shown in the picture, when i toggle my mouse onto the black circle, it clearly detected something was plugged in, but somehow audio just won't play through my earphones.

applepie, Aug 8, 2020
  4. No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack

Video Freeze Randomly Occurs When Earphone inserted into Laptop Jack

I appreciate your observation, however if the ear-jack is creating a flurry of connect/disconnect interrupts to the processor, then it is software. My observation about CPU utilization and Wi-Fi utilization are the key facts that support the software not handling a video stream when a plug is inserted into the jack.

The other key fact that suggests that this is not a simple hardware problem,
    is that "video freeze" was never a problem before an OS upgrade on 4/2/19.

the OS or the sound driver are the front line defense against a rogue peripherial sending a surge of interrupts to overload system resources.

catholicfocus, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack

1. No sound when inserting earphone into audio jack - Similar Threads - sound inserting earphone

2. headphone jack issue when connecting earphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphone jack issue when connecting earphones: Hi,I have Windows 11 Inspiron 5584 which recently stopped supporting earphones when connecting them into headphone jack, and instead using the laptop's own speakers for sound when listening to music, watching movie, etc.the only time the headphones do have sound is upon start...
  3. No Simultaneous Sound out of Audio Jacks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Simultaneous Sound out of Audio Jacks: How can I get simultaneous audio out of both the USBC and 3.5mm jacks in my Samsung Tab Pro S? The sound leaves the 3.5mm side as soon as I plug in the USBC. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  4. my earphone jack is not working

my earphone jack is not working: Inspiron 5406 2-in-1 my earphone jack is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-earphone-jack-is-not-working/ff57ecfc-6f96-46f0-8dfe-d509317a4aa2
  5. Windows 10 Headphones not auto-selected when inserted to audio jack

Windows 10 Headphones not auto-selected when inserted to audio jack: Hi, I have an Acer Swift 5 laptop running latest Windows Version 10 64-bit. Is there a way in setting to select the headphones as the output device automatically when the headphones are connected to the Audio jack? When the headphones are connected to the audio jack, a...
  6. Volume issues when I plug/unplug headphones/earphones from audio jack

Volume issues when I plug/unplug headphones/earphones from audio jack: So when I'm watching videos or playing music on my laptop with the headphones/earphones plugged in before I it on, the volume is just as it should be, but when I unplug it, speaker volume is reduced even when it's at 100% and if I plug back into the jack, the output from my...
  7. Sound from speakers/earphones when audio media changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound from speakers/earphones when audio media changes: I used to have this problem well still do, but it's all but completely unnoticeable now when using earphones where I would constantly hear crackling, regardless of what I was playing. I remedied this by going to Device Manager, Sound, Video and Game Controllers, RealtekR...
  8. Sound issue with front audio jack

Sound issue with front audio jack: I have two computers. Both on windows 10 1903. If I plug in headphones I have sound. If I unplug them I get sound from the internal speaker. If I plug the headphones in later, I cannot get any sound to come out from the headphones, only the internal speaker. In order to get...
  9. Video Freeze Randomly Occurs When Earphone inserted into Laptop Jack

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Freeze Randomly Occurs When Earphone inserted into Laptop Jack: This problem occurred for the first time since newest WINDOWS 64bit 1809 OS update about a week ago which is significant. Quick background: new HP ProBook laptop; Windows 64 OS clean install. When playing any video stream via Wi-Fi (such as youtube, etc.) and while stream is...
  10. Laptop Speakers Continue Playing Sound Outloud When I Insert My Headphones In The Audio Jack

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Speakers Continue Playing Sound Outloud When I Insert My Headphones In The Audio Jack: So, usually when I plug in my headphones into the audio jack, my laptop gives me a small popup in the bottom right corner saying something like headphones were inserted, and I would press "okay" and I could listen to my music. But for some reason, I'm inserting it into the...