Windows 10: No Start Menu? No Cortana?

Discus and support No Start Menu? No Cortana? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Squashua, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Squashua Win User

No Start Menu? No Cortana?

Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and nothing Start is just not working. I can't get into settings (any way that I know) to revert back. Can someone please assist in this matter, someway, somehow?

:)

Squashua, Mar 22, 2015
  2. ...No... Win User

Shift Lock On Windows 10

Hello,how do I enable shift lock on Windows 10? Somebody help!!!

...No..., Mar 22, 2015
  3. Windows Hello Setup just crashes

hastebin

Also here are the event logs I found about it.

No Name_459, Mar 22, 2015
  4. No Start Menu? No Cortana?

Only in Oklahoma! lol

That's why they call it "testing".
    When it blows up, we do a clean re-install and try again.

On ver 10041, 32 bit, I had no start menu at all. Nothing!

but when I loaded ver 10041, 64 bit on the same PC (HP Laptop) and I clicked on the new start button, I got that Combo menu screen, with one column of text and then the Apps (blocks) to the right.

Of course, that doesn't satisfy my needs at all, so I promptly install the "Classic Shell" and then I'm back in the real world, with a Classic start button, start menu and a desktop that I can customize to my liking.
    I even got an old 16 bit game to work on the 32 bit version. It's very backward compatible.

I'm constantly amazed, by the extent of the Driver package that comes with the latest OS's from MS.
    Even when installing 8.1 or 10 to a ten year old PC, all the hardware (video, sound, Lan, keyboard and mouse) all work.
    My Epson printer is also installed without a whimper.

After some tweaking and tuning, both versions of Win-10-TP, 10041, work just fine. No crashes or BSOD's, so far.

Try a clean install!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Mar 22, 2015
  5. Squashua Win User
    I think that is exactly what I will be doing...as soon as I get home from work. Good thing is, I've got my new laptop coming in this afternoon and I'll wait till the official Win 10 comes out then put it on the new comp, because I really do like it. Of course I'll continue to test the preview on my old laptop.

This and the sound driver problem (easy fix) are the only problems I've had so far.

Now I do have iObit win 8 start menu now installed, so I did get it to work this route, including file search and what not. So that helped out a wee little bit. (Advanced System Care 8.0 Pro/Toolbox If anyone reads this and does not currently want to do a clean install.)

As for the "Only In Oklahoma", I don't think I've heard a truer statement in the 28 years I've here. (All my life, LOL!)

Squashua, Mar 22, 2015
  6. I had this issue when I booted my system this evening; along with a non working start, I had a Homegroup icon in the top left corner of the desktop that couldn't be moved or deleted. A simple reboot put it back to normal.

fracking4oil, Mar 23, 2015
  7. Squashua Win User
    Ya, my computer has been rebooted several times now. It's still not working. I haven't had the chance to do a clean install though. One of these days my wife will let me do it. But the problems that now exist don't bother her. So it doesn't really matter, especially now that I have my new laptop....just have to get used to Win 8.....*sigh*.

Squashua, Mar 23, 2015
  8. usasma Win User

usasma, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No Start Menu? No Cortana? - Similar Threads - Start Menu Cortana

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. start menu and cortana

in Cortana
    start menu and cortana: start menu and cortana do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-cortana/af6eb818-795d-4653-9bb3-28c3706de982
  5. Remove cortana from start menu

in Cortana
    Remove cortana from start menu: Seeking for assist on removing cortana from start menu. Tried the method below 1) using registry set 0 value on “AllowCortana” to disable. 2) On desktop, right click to hide cortana None of the above, work to remove cortana from start menu. please assist....
  6. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  7. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451
  8. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  9. Cortana and Start Menu aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu aren't working: I upgraded to Win 10 a week ago and after a long updating session was well pleased with the OS - everything seemed to work normally and much faster than before. However, a day after the last updates were installed (KB3081449 and KB3081448) my normal screen appeared with a...
  10. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...