Windows 10: No Start Menu, Search

Discus and support No Start Menu, Search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by biged, Aug 31, 2015.

1. biged Win User

No Start Menu, Search

All,

I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus (Control panel, etc.). I'd prefer not to refresh or reinstall as I have a number of apps installed a little time to fool with it. I've seen many threads on similar issues and wonder if this is a Microsoft issue or my issue. I'd appreciate some direction here.

Thanks.

:)

biged, Aug 31, 2015

2. No Taskbar , no Start Menu, no Start Button no Search Box in my desktop

Hello Bergen,

I realize that the Desktop has no Start button, taskbar or the search box in Windows. We will help you.

• Are you facing this issue after any recent update installed?
    • Are you facing this issue in any other user accounts?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    This issue might have caused due to some system files damaged or corrupted in Windows.

Let's try the below Steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Safe mode loads only minimal set of drivers and applications which helps you rectify the issue.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode

Method 2: Perform a
    clean boot and check if the issue persists.

To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update
    or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Disclaimer: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Method 3: I suggest you to
    try creating a new user account and check if issue persists.

Click on the below link to check how to create new user account in Windows 10

Microsoft Support link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Note: Install all the pending updates after logging in to Microsoft account and check.

Keep us informed if the taskbar and start menu issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 31, 2015
  3. No Taskbar , no Start Menu, no Start Button no Search Box in my desktop

All I have is my Desk Top. there is no Task Bar, no Start Menu, no Start Button no Search Box, no nothing. I have my Desk Top. If I want to shut down my Computer I will have to force it. I have no access to any of the above. I'm lost. Can someone help?
    Thank you.

ErnieBergen, Aug 31, 2015
Thema:

No Start Menu, Search

1. No Start Menu, Search - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. No Search Bar in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Search Bar in Start Menu: Hello, My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot. Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list...
  3. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...
  4. Start Menu Search Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...
  5. Start Menu Search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search not working: When I start my computer, my Start Menu Search sometimes gets stuck in a start up or searching loop. The start menu itself works if I am just using my mouse to click icons. The issue is hitting the Windows button on my keyboard and typing. What is strange is that when...
  6. Problem with Start Menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Start Menu search: I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile. I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working. Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are...
  7. Still no program search support in Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no program search support in Start menu search: I'm still having to use Stardock Start10 to use the keyboard to find non-store-app programs. Whenever I use the native Start menu and use the keyboard to enter the non-store-app program name it only finds useless hits among documents and junk (I have Bing disabled otherwise...
  8. windows start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    windows start menu search: i can't seem to see that windows finds simple "apps"\(programs)" like the blizzard app, twitch app etc... is there some setting that enables me to do this? so far i narrowed it down to the indexing of files. maybe that'll do something. every time i search for "twitch"...
  9. start menu search problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu search problem: Build 14328. I can't open start menu and begin typing to search anymore. searching only works in the Cortana box. 48330
  10. Lost Start Menu and Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Start Menu and Search: For whatever reason I have lost the use of my Start Menu and Search function. Is there any way to get the 'Settings' page open without the Start Menu? Winkey + I did it. 6925