Windows 10: no start menu

Discus and support no start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello members Hopefully I can find a solution to my problem. Initially after start up to menu was always there then about a month ago it did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rockon, Nov 2, 2015.

1. rockon Win User

no start menu

Hello members
    Hopefully I can find a solution to my problem. Initially after start up to menu was always there then about a month ago it did not appear. I have been told to left click the windows Icon, the icon changes from white to blue but clicking on it has no effect neither does the widows key on my keyboard.

:)

rockon, Nov 2, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Nov 2, 2015
  3. No Taskbar , no Start Menu, no Start Button no Search Box in my desktop

Hello Bergen,

I realize that the Desktop has no Start button, taskbar or the search box in Windows. We will help you.

• Are you facing this issue after any recent update installed?
    • Are you facing this issue in any other user accounts?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    This issue might have caused due to some system files damaged or corrupted in Windows.

Let's try the below Steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Safe mode loads only minimal set of drivers and applications which helps you rectify the issue.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode

Method 2: Perform a
    clean boot and check if the issue persists.

To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update
    or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Disclaimer: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Method 3: I suggest you to
    try creating a new user account and check if issue persists.

Click on the below link to check how to create new user account in Windows 10

Microsoft Support link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Note: Install all the pending updates after logging in to Microsoft account and check.

Keep us informed if the taskbar and start menu issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 2, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

no start menu

There are many possible solutions for that. If I post them all. it could be page long.
    I'll start with just one and we can go from there.............

Assuming RIGHT click at Start button still working ?
    If yes, right click at it > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.
    When it is done, check if you can open Start Menu.

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  5. Very odd, I encountered the same problem this morning. Thank you Win Ten Forums!! *Smile

GatsbyGlen, Nov 2, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Does that mean the suggestion has solved your issue ?

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  7. It solved my problem, thank you *Smile Not sure about the author of the thread though.

GatsbyGlen, Nov 2, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

no start menu

You are welcome.
    Yes, I'll have to wait for the OP's response.

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  9. rockon Win User
    Thank you Billy268 for your very prompt response I have tried your suggestion (yes I can right click) but Still no Start menu but I am pleased to see that you advice has helped Gatsbyglen along the way Thank you and await further help

rockon, Nov 2, 2015
  10. davidhk Win User
    Create another user account with exactly the same type (privileges) as the one you are using.
    Logon to it and see if the same problem appears.

You might have a corrupt user account.

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  11. rockon Win User
    I am unable to bring up the search box to "add user"

rockon, Nov 2, 2015
  12. davidhk Win User
    You are quite right. My mistake of forgetting what you said in your initial post.
    My apology.

OK please try this...........................
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  13. rockon Win User

no start menu

3rd report came up and when I ran the restorehealth command it finished with message "The source files could not be found"

QUOTE=billy268;450603]You are quite right. My mistake of forgetting what you said in your initial post.
    My apology.

OK please try this...........................
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report. [/QUOTE]

rockon, Nov 2, 2015
  14. davidhk Win User
    Can you do these?...................
    Right click at Start > select Control Panel > top right, at View by, click the pointer and select Small icons > select User Account
    > Select Manage another account.....................

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  15. rockon Win User
    Yes I have got there, it says select the account you want to change but the only account there is mine! underneath it says add other accounts in pc settings how do I get there?
    Excuse me being such a novice with Win10, but I greatly appreciate your time and effort to enlighten me to solve the problem.

rockon, Nov 2, 2015
Thema:

no start menu

1. no start menu - Similar Threads - start menu

2. C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...: C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS SECURITY RISK BY ANTIVIRUS After quarantine, download and restart attempt, computer unable to start. Had to get HP tech. Follwed directions to get PC back on line, Had to delete Windows and...
  3. C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...: C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS SECURITY RISK BY ANTIVIRUS After quarantine, download and restart attempt, computer unable to start. Had to get HP tech. Follwed directions to get PC back on line, Had to delete Windows and...
  4. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  5. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  6. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  8. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  9. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

10. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...