Windows 10: No system reserved partition

Discus and support No system reserved partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by st2ref, Jul 31, 2015.

1. st2ref Win User

No system reserved partition

Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the message "Windows 10 couldn't be installed". "We couldn't update the system reserved partition". I would like some help to upgrade to Win10 on this pc. Thank you

:)

st2ref, Jul 31, 2015
  2. EuanO Win User

No Windows 10 System Reserved Partition (Can't Update)

Hi Andre,

I downloaded the ISO, mounted it, and when trying to install, I got this message:

No system reserved partition [​IMG]

I then found a post here: "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup."

...that said to change a registry key from '1' to '0' (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PortableOperatingSystem)

On doing this, I could now run Setup from the mounted ISO.

I sucessfully updated Windows 10, and as you thought, it created a new partition, which can be seen below. (It shows as Recovery Partition instead of System Reserved, however, and it appears after the primary partition instead of before??)

Hopefully I wont have any further issues updating in the future.

Thank you both for your assistance.

Kind regards

Euan

EuanO, Jul 31, 2015
  3. No Windows 10 System Reserved Partition (Can't Update)

Yes, it would, but in your case, it might not, if you use the ISO file. Windows 10 setup would automatically create it. Did you try using the ISO file to upgrade?

Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Post a snapshot of a fullscreen Disk Management Window:
    To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen. Expand the fields as necessary so everything can be seen.

Windows 10: How to Take a Screenshot in Windows 10

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  5. russcript Win User
    I think I have some similar problem, windows 7 update says "windows 10 couldn't be installed" with error: 80070006-2000C.
    I'm pretty sure its a system partition related problem based on what meager info I could turn up.
    After checking it turns out that I don't have a system reserved partition; the primary partition has the system and boot files - could this be a problem? It's factory installed Asus n53jq , apparently they decided to put everything in the main partition, possibly that's causing a problem.

russcript, Aug 13, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can try using MiniTool partition wizard to shrink your main partition, leave 600 mb free in front of it. That should give Windows 10 plenty of room to create a recovery partition. Not sure if it will create the recovery partitions on an upgrade though.

You might have to do a clean install of Windows 10 (skip any time that it asks for a product key), deleting all the partitions on your hard drive first - that will definitely create the recovery partitions - but it won't activate. Then you would do a clean install of Windows 7, just select the big, main partition as the install location - don't delete partitions. You do have a Windows 7 product key? That should leave the needed recovery partitions intact. When Windows 7 activates, you can upgrade it to Windows 10.

Of course any clean install will erase all your programs and data.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2015
  7. russcript Win User
    Thanks, can anyone advise if leaving some empty space will work?I'm a little leery of crashing my system, I don't really have time for that right now. or is there a way to manually create a system reserved partition by copying the boot folders over and making it active?

the clean install is a route I would prefer not to go; I have a ton of software installed, but if I must it would be a good chance to upgrade to an ssd.

russcript, Aug 13, 2015
  8. russcript Win User

russcript, Aug 13, 2015
  9. rbmorse Win User
    On my system, a clean install of Windows 10 Pro from a retail distribution media (not the upgrade) I have four partitions, Recovery (450Mb), System (100 Mb), Reserved (16Mb) and Primary (the rest of the drive).

The reserved partition does not show in diskmgmt.msc, but I can see it using the "list part" command in diskpart.exe

rbmorse, Aug 13, 2015
  10. Cleave Win User
    Were you able to resolve this by creating a new system reserved partition? I have almost exactly the same issue. I have a Vaio laptop and migrated my Win 7 install to an SSD, which left me with no system reserved partition. I used the instructions linked in this thread to create a new system reserved partition, but I'm still getting the same 'Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition' error. Anyone know if there is something else I can do to get the upgrade to work? I really don't want to do a fresh install of Win 7 (assuming that would work)? My dismgmt screenshot is below.

Cleave, Aug 19, 2015
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Strange, you shouldn`t need a SR partition to do an upgrade.

Attachment 32696

Did the Windows 7 install drive have a SR partition ?

AddRAM, Aug 19, 2015
  12. Cleave Win User
    Not sure. After I migrated to the SSD, I wiped the old drive to fill it with movies/music/pictures.

Cleave, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No system reserved partition - Similar Threads - system reserved partition

2. Systeme reserved and OS partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Systeme reserved and OS partition: Hello, I cloned a windows 10 form an orginal disk to an SSD disk using Aomei backuper.all works perfectley no probleme.But on the SSD i see one partition it s using the boot and the os in the same place note that the SSD is booting and workin with probleme !But i prefer for...
  3. Restoring of system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring of system reserved partition: Hello,During migration of the Windows 10 to a new SSD I forgot to migrate a system reserved partition. And now I have permanent error 0x800f0922 during installing updates. Also this issue prevents me from upgrade to Windows 11.How I can restore this partition? Excluding...
  4. Remove system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove system reserved partition: I recently built a new pc, installed windows on my m.2 and everything works great etc. I decided to bring my old HDD and SSD and connect them. The old SSD was recently my main C drive, with Windows installed, but now im not using it for anything else then normal storage. I...
  5. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  6. Two System Reserved Partition

Two System Reserved Partition: I had dual boot in my laptop for windows 10 + ubuntu. I deleted the ubuntu part. But after that, I haveTWO system reserved memory in my SSD mine is a hybrid system with 256 SSD+1TB HDD. I don't know if I should delete one of the reserved partition or not. If yes, then guide...
  7. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  8. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  9. System reserved Partition

System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  10. Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions: I have Windows 10 Home Version 1803 installed in my pc. Windows is installed on Disk 5. Disk 5 contains my C drive and D partition that I created after Windows was installed. It also contains a partition named System Reserved which Windows created when I installed Windows...