Windows 10: No System Sounds functioning after Win10 Update

Discus and support No System Sounds functioning after Win10 Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have updated to Windows 10. After scouring the internet for options, I need to turn to ask the experts. Movies play, songs play... even the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Graphicport, Sep 22, 2015.

1. No System Sounds functioning after Win10 Update

I have updated to Windows 10. After scouring the internet for options, I need to turn to ask the experts. Movies play, songs play... even the system sound previews play when I pick a sound scheme. But under normal computer operation, no system sounds play. The recycling bin, system errors, windows boot and shutdown, and email notification sounds are all silent in regular computer operation. I have performed the two prescribed sound card driver tweaks described online for issues of no sounds working at all.

Is anyone else having this problem? How would I fix it?

:)

Graphicport, Sep 22, 2015

2. System sounds not functioning.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue.

Now, here are the below important links which will help you.

• Set default device This is in order to make all the programs have their audio played through this device.
    • Turn off Audio Enhancements This ensures that all calls/video call audio will be played through this device (unless otherwise configured).

Hope the above information will be helpful. However, if it does not help, follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

I suggest you to check if any of the audio settings has been changed.

To quickly identify if it at a user level, the easiest way here is to
    check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Follow the steps:

• Assuming that you are already logged on to your user account in Windows 10, click the Start button.
    • From the Start menu, click your name from the top of the left pane.
    • From the displayed options click Sign out.
    • From the login screen, click to the different user account you want to switch to.

However, if you do not have a separate user account, I suggest you to create another administrator user account by referring to the Microsoft article here: Set
    up accounts

Method 2

If it still does not help, I suggest you to reinstall the drivers for the audio device. This in fact will revert all the changes made and restore the device configuration and settings to its factory settings.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 22, 2015
  3. System sounds not functioning.

Hello Sayan,

Thank you for trying to assist.

Device manager tells me that this device is working properly.

When I try to update the driver, it tells me that the best driver is already installed.

The troubleshooter did not find a problem.

There was no reference to default device on the help page you referred me to.

Now, please bear in mind that the speakers are working perfectly when I play music or watch a film, and the headphones also work correctly, and in fact some system sounds are present. For example, this evening I plugged in my smartphone for the first time
    and the correct sound played, and again when I unplugged it. However when I plug in my printer I do not get a sound, and the windows start up sound is also absent, except weirdly the start up sound plays through the headphones if they happen to be plugged
    in. This is a new machine for me which has been upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. Previously I was using windows 7 on a different machine.

Nigel of Rhos, Sep 22, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

No System Sounds functioning after Win10 Update

Did you recently install any applications that may have manipulated the sound settings in any way?
    It is likely something that has altered the default sound settings somewhere.
    Possibly narrow it down by creating another user profile just as a test and see if that works.

Kanata, Sep 22, 2015
  5. Much of my primary user account is failing to work. I cannot log in with Microsoft Account and I was unable to create a new user account until I forced it via cmd (admin). In that new user account, I hear all the sounds and I am able to log in with Microsoft Account as well. Not sure what to do from here. All my software/emails/etc. is set up in that original user account. Is there some way to copy my profile to a new user account? Must be a glitch with upgrading from Windows 7.

What do you think?

Graphicport, Sep 23, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    The fact that it works in another user profile (account) likely means that the first profile is corrupt. You can copy settings from one profile to another. This may help: Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Help

There may be better instructions for Windows 10 if you look around the MS site. At least make sure you have a backup of any user data you can't live without! With some careful planning you should be able to fix everything and you sound tech savvy enough to manage it.

Kanata, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

No System Sounds functioning after Win10 Update

1. No System Sounds functioning after Win10 Update - Similar Threads - System Sounds functioning

2. Volume/Sound Issues After Win10 Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume/Sound Issues After Win10 Update: I am using a DJ Controller and mixer as a mic-in via usb and after the latest update, I no longer have right channel sound. The problem exists even when using each piece of equipment independently. I've tested my equipment on external standalone speakers and there is no issue...
  3. No output sound devices on system after updates?

No output sound devices on system after updates?: What happened to the Audio Driver after the Windows update 10. I am unsure how to reinstall the Realtek Audio? I think? Says there is no output devices installed?...
  4. Windows sound not playing after recent Win10 Update

Windows sound not playing after recent Win10 Update: Hi all, Symptom: Since last windows update, windows doesn't play the windows sounds: Startup, UAC sound, exclamation, warning, notifications, etc. Note: Other sounds, like games, videos, calls are working well. I use SoundBlaster Z series sound card. Their recent driver...
  5. Windows sound not playing after recent Win10 Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows sound not playing after recent Win10 Update: Hi all, Symptom: Since last windows update, windows doesn't play the windows sounds: Startup, UAC sound, exclamation, warning, notifications, etc. Note: Other sounds, like games, videos, calls are working well. I use SoundBlaster Z series sound card. Their recent driver...
  6. No sound after Win10 1909 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No sound after Win10 1909 update: I am using Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2 rev. 1.0 with onboard Creative SB 20K2 digital audio processor. It is working fine when using Win10 1809 but no sound after Win10 1909 update. Please check whether it is the issue of certification to Creative Labs' sound blaster card....
  7. A device attached to the system is not functioning Sound problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A device attached to the system is not functioning Sound problem: I am running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 on an HP PC and when I hover over the speaker icon on the taskbar it says no audio output device is installed. In the Device Manager it shows under Other devices Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus with an exclamation...
  8. No Sound after latest Win10 update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Sound after latest Win10 update.: I recently installed the latest update for Win10. Since then no sound. Ran trouble shooting programs to no avail. Deleted and installed drivers for sound. What do I do next?...
  9. Lost sound system after windows updates

Lost sound system after windows updates: After downloading recent update for windows 10, my pc lost sound. Sound device says there is no audio output device is installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-sound-system-after-windows-updates/b731a6c3-70e0-4506-84e9-a3a155d0859e
  10. CSGO sound problem after win10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CSGO sound problem after win10 update: ambient noise (wind and map noises etc.) and quickswitching gun sounds are extremely loud while everything else is quiet, also the click sound of moving my pointer over the menus is super loud as well..sound is overall unbalanced or w.e you might call it...the only difference...