Windows 10: No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade

Discus and support No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; HiYesterday I ran updates windows 11 update. Since this has ran I don't have a task bar or start menu just a grey rectangle where it should be. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Troopon, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Troopon Win User

No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade

HiYesterday I ran updates windows 11 update. Since this has ran I don't have a task bar or start menu just a grey rectangle where it should be. I can also not run settings. It simply tries to open then disappears. Even file explorer search doesn't work and other things like control panel take a long time to openI have done no end of googling and tried all sorts of things from various threads but cannot find a resolution. Most solutions unvolve running stuff in the command prompt e.g. Powershell but I am unable to run them due to not running as admin and cannot get to the program to ru

:)

Troopon, Nov 30, 2021

2. Win10 start menu won`t open (SOLUTION)

To all people that suffer from same problems as I did:

-Win 10`s start menu won`t open after restart

-Win 10`s menu stops working after few days if your pc has been idle or just on.

-Win 10`s menu works after AC power down

-Win 10`s menu won`t work after restart unless you log out and relog through CTRL+ALT+DEL

It took me 7 hours to find cause of this problem, lots program reinstallations and browsing through internet.

Even Microsoft support didn`t provide the right answer for this problem, they just give you commands and advices to create new accounts, cleanup this, reinstall that, clean boot this, normal boot that. But what they don`t say is that all those problems are
    caused by their so called "feature" that released with their "Fall Creators Update". A feature that saves some data into the memory, so after restart it start`s to open all your chrome windows and other programs.

CAUSE:

Your windows might get some conflicts with some programms during the session, before the update if you shutdown/restart your pc, windows where just dumping all the data out of the window, after the update it started to save it to the memory (including all the
    conflicted data). THANK YOU MICROSOFT!

SOLUTION:

Go to your Search icon on the taskbar, type > Settings > Accounts > Sing-In options > Under "Privacy" uncheck/disable "Use my sing-in info to automatically setting up my device after an update or restart" > Restart

Hope it helps folks!

3DArtist

And ofcourse:

Microsoft, you`ve already forced us into updates with Win10.

Will you now please stop screwing up windows even more with your pointless system breaking features!

Stop reinventing the wheel.

3DArtist_007, Dec 1, 2021
  3. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Dec 1, 2021
  4. No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade

Taskbar "start menu" customization tab missing

On Windows 8.x and lower versions of Windows, you’re be able to apply customization’s to the Start Menu under the Taskbar and and Start Menu Properties which can be found when you right-click on the taskbar. On Windows 10, this setting is not available when you select the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties on the taskbar and in the most recent version of Windows 10, you won’t see the properties at all. The Start Menu settings in the taskbar properties has been removed in Windows 10 therefore you can’t find the Start Menu or Taskbar settings as you would on earlier versions of Windows. This Start Menu customization setting has been moved to Settings > Personalization > Start whereas the Taskbar settings has been moved to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar. The steps below further illustrate how to access this setting on Windows 10. Why Is Start Menu Tab Missing from Taskbar Properties on Windows 10? - Appuals.com

kamilanwar, Dec 1, 2021
Thema:

No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade

1. No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Taskbar start menu

2. Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11: Just got a new PC.At first it worked fine. After a restart I was unable to make many basic interactions.While the taskbar is functional and I can open programs from it, I am unable to do the following:- Right Click programs to close/pin ect- Open the start menu. It simply...
  3. Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11: Just got a new PC.At first it worked fine. After a restart I was unable to make many basic interactions.While the taskbar is functional and I can open programs from it, I am unable to do the following:- Right Click programs to close/pin ect- Open the start menu. It simply...
  4. Windows 11 - No Start Menu, No Full Settings Menu, Empty Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - No Start Menu, No Full Settings Menu, Empty Taskbar: My boot drive repaired itself and now i have an empty taskbar. I also need to sign-in through a cmd prompt, not the normal log-in. I'll provide any info requested....
  5. No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Taskbar or start menu and settings won't open after Windows 11 Upgrade: HiYesterday I ran updates windows 11 update. Since this has ran I don't have a task bar or start menu just a grey rectangle where it should be. I can also not run settings. It simply tries to open then disappears. Even file explorer search doesn't work and other things like...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu, and Settings won't open!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start Menu, and Settings won't open!: My cousin has an Asus G14 Laptop, the one with a ryzen 9 and an rtx 2060. I'm trying to fix it with all the top results on YouTube and chrome relating to "windows 10 Start Menu won't open", but none of them are working. My cousin said the last thing he remembers doing before...
  7. settings, start menu, sound won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings, start menu, sound won't open: settings, sound, start menu won't open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-start-menu-sound-wont-open/8a4f2b06-fdd4-43bd-bd10-584f4f2d52f9
  8. Settings and Start Menu won't open!

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings and Start Menu won't open!: A couple days ago my computer started acting funky and the next day my settings would crash every time I would open it I have tried running the troubleshooters and all the commands in PowerShell and cmd but nothing seems to work. Also, my start menu won't open even if I do...
  9. Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop: I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and have had nothing but problems. The biggest one is the fact that I cannot open the start menu, I had worked around it by right clicking it and then selecting what I needed from there. However now that doesn't even work. Any help...
  10. Start menu and other taskbar items won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and other taskbar items won't open: Hello, For some reason, my Start menu won't open, by both mouse or keyboard button. Other taskbar items (bottom right icons) aren't opening either, e.g. battery info, wifi menu, audio settings, calendar/clock, and messages. However, I can open the tray only. I tried...