Windows 10: No text, not even in command prompt

Discus and support No text, not even in command prompt in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys My laptop was running pretty hot the other day, so I turned it off when it got super slow. This was after the latest update, and everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BnsFe, Jun 18, 2020.

1. BnsFe Win User

No text, not even in command prompt

Hi guys

My laptop was running pretty hot the other day, so I turned it off when it got super slow. This was after the latest update, and everything was working normally, except of course running hot.

I booted it up again today, and... no text on anything to do with the system. I turned it off with the shut down button, not with the shut-down from the start menu. When I booted it up it took around 5-7 minutes to boot.

Then when I logged in... no text under icons, no text in windows explorer or any type of system dialogue. I read about "fix this with this clean up tool in windows command prompt" so I opened that up, no cursor or anything appearing in the command prompt.

I noticed that when it got super hot, it seemed to crash because of Kaspersky. I had the "secure browser" open, and google chrome was really pulling a lot of power. I've used the secure browser several times before without issue. But when I tried to open chrome this time, it just can't cope at all!

Is it something with chrome? or Kaspersky?

I looked at windows update, it says the June 9th update is "pending download"... but I can't see anything to click to get it to download and there are no prompts anywhere.

No idea what's going on. 18 month old Lenovo not really used for anything heavy.

:)

BnsFe, Jun 18, 2020
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

1. No text, not even in command prompt - Similar Threads - text command prompt

2. Random text in command prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random text in command prompt: Today i used command prompt and when the task was done random text appeared in the part where i type in. This happened to me before and I ran anti viruses and reset my pc but it does not seem to stop. I don’t know if this is a bug or some type of malware....
  3. Command prompt text is black (and therefore invisible)

in Windows 10 Support
    Command prompt text is black (and therefore invisible): I did a reboot (installing the latest VS 2019 update) and when windows came back up everything seems normal but the command window text is black, on the black background. So the text is invisible. Same for Powershell. And for the Snipping Tool and I assume other apps. 157311
  4. Text content disappearing. In control panel, menu, right clicks even in command prompt I...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text content disappearing. In control panel, menu, right clicks even in command prompt I...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jo_step [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxmzcy/text_content_disappearing_in_control_panel_menu/
  5. Command prompt opens then closes before I can even see the text displayed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command prompt opens then closes before I can even see the text displayed: For some reason when I tried opening a terminal through Visual Code it caused an issue where command prompt wont stay open. It opens for at least a second but then closes before you can do anything, I've tried running as administrator and no luck. Any help will be much...
  6. Command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt: It seems that I have to renew my command prompt almost monthly by use of the "bootsect /nt60 sys" command. Why is this happening ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/6ca7646e-66a4-45cf-ab84-781950936dee
  7. Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt: On my PC cmd not working properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/1997eabc-1c65-4dd5-a223-03a83f66ccf6
  8. command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    command prompt: hi, Is the 64 bit operating system, alright to run on the 32 bit administrator command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/0202ade4-c9cf-4456-80b3-5ee9a53dd104
  9. command prompt commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    command prompt commands: Can anybody just tell me what the command prompt for starting up in safe mode with networking is, if there is one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/command-prompt-commands/7b058934-65f0-40dc-8982-936764895a61
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240