Windows 10: No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files

Discus and support No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Recently, opening image files will not show a thumbnail of the actual photo, but a generic picture icon. I have not changed any default image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by WatsonClark, Jun 21, 2022.

1. No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files

Recently, opening image files will not show a thumbnail of the actual photo, but a generic picture icon. I have not changed any default image settings..

:)

WatsonClark, Jun 21, 2022
  2. LauraWan Win User

Dialog Box Save/Open

When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved
    in the drop down list? I know how to disable the jump list in Windows 10 by turning of Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar by the toggle button so that it says Off. That doesn't clear the list that I want it to.

Example in photo (Yes I am aware that is Windows 8/8.1 but I have Windows 10):

No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files 866e2dca-7080-43d0-adc1-ba806bdcfe67?upload=true.png

LauraWan, Jun 21, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    How to disable thumbnails for all files

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable thumbnails for all the files, let me help you with the steps.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

Disable Thumbnails in File Explorer:

1. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    2. Type control folders and click on
      OK.
    3. Click on View tab.
    4. Select the checkbox for Always show icons, never thumbnails under
      Files and Folders.

Disable Thumbnails in Visual Effects:

1. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    2. Type SystemPropertiesPerformance
      and click on OK.
    3. Go to Visual Effects tab and clear the checkbox for
      Show thumbnails instead of icons.
    4. Click on Apply and OK.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 21, 2022
  4. No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files

How to disable thumbnails for all files

Thank you; knowing that calling SystemPropertiesPerformance opens that window makes customisation much easier for me.

However, I specified that I wanted the thumbnails on .EXE files to also be removed, for I already knew what the above steps did. Is there a way?
    No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files 35a74893-1d3d-43a0-99f5-721013e56e7d?upload=true.png

No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files a5ed642b-c0a0-4d70-b378-908565df01db?upload=true.png

I'm just demonstrating what I mean by thumbnails for executables.

Roke Beedell, Jun 21, 2022
Thema:

No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files

1. No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files - Similar Threads - thumbnail Open Dialog

2. No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files

in Windows 10 Customization
    No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files: Recently, opening image files will not show a thumbnail of the actual photo, but a generic picture icon. I have not changed any default image settings.....
  3. No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files: Recently, opening image files will not show a thumbnail of the actual photo, but a generic picture icon. I have not changed any default image settings.....
  4. Dialog boxes will not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dialog boxes will not open: I'm using Windows 10 on an ASUS VivoBook. Sometime in the past few months, dialog boxes for Snip & Sketch and the HP Smart app have stopped working. When I click save on either of these apps, instead of a dialog box coming up for me to rename the file and choose where to save...
  5. Dialog boxes will not open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dialog boxes will not open: I'm using Windows 10 on an ASUS VivoBook. Sometime in the past few months, dialog boxes for Snip & Sketch and the HP Smart app have stopped working. When I click save on either of these apps, instead of a dialog box coming up for me to rename the file and choose where to save...
  6. No image previews in the open dialogs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No image previews in the open dialogs: Does anyone know how to fix the open dialogs not showing image previews? https://imgur.com/HBJjeSz submitted by /u/unabatedshagie [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ke9mk2/no_image_previews_in_the_open_dialogs/
  7. File Open Dialog Box Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Open Dialog Box Issues: Since today I've noticed that the Windows file open dialog box crashes the app calling it. For example, I use Soundforge Pro 11 and if I click the icon or the menu item for file open, the dialog appears followed by an error message from the application saying the program has...
  8. Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...: New 4 Months Lennovo legion laptop with Win10 64 bit pre-installed. As indicated, the file/open file/save dialog boxes do not work for any 32 bit applications. This includes Office applications/Acrobat/Garmin/etc. Dialog boxes do work for 64 bit applications. 1 I have...
  9. Dialog Box Save/Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  10. Save-as Dialog Box not showing any thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    Save-as Dialog Box not showing any thumbnails: Hi, I was trying to save an image from the internet and my fingers slipped on a key. Since then every time the save-as box opens, where the files should show, it is just grey. I will attach a picture to show the issue. Could someone please assist me in getting back the...