Windows 10: No Thumbnails on Photos in Folders Created as Symbolic Links to UNC Paths

Discus and support No Thumbnails on Photos in Folders Created as Symbolic Links to UNC Paths in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My previous post on this problem was locked without reason. This is the same problem as described in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by abubasim, Apr 20, 2020.

1. abubasim Win User

No Thumbnails on Photos in Folders Created as Symbolic Links to UNC Paths

My previous post on this problem was locked without reason.

This is the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rk-paths/8e9497d5-ef71-429d-b8ca-cf74672dc8f5 but for Windows 10.

I have a NAS box at \\DSxxx where I have a shared folder at \\DSxxx\Pictures. If I access this UNC path directly in Windows explorer then everything looks fine. I can see thumbnails for the photos stored in this share and the details are filled with EXIF data when I view the file properties. And for folders with a large number of pictures the refreshing of thumbnails can take time but every single picture eventually is shown with its thumbnail.

But if I access the same folder through a symbolic link at %USERPROFILE%\NAS\Pictures, most thumbnails are not shown and the file properties are missing all EXIF data. A few pictures have thumbnails but I have not been able to figure out for which pictures Explorer decides to show thumbnails. It seems more or less random.

I have confirmed the same works fine in Windows 7. It seems something happened with Windows Explorer starting at Windows 8 and the problem still remain unfixed in the latest version of Windows 10. I have not been able to find any article stating that this functionality was removed intentionally.

Please note that the forum post linked above is from 2012. We are now in 2020 with this bug remaining unfixed.

:)

abubasim, Apr 20, 2020
  2. abubasim Win User

No Thumbnails on Symbolic Links to Network Paths

This is the same problem as described in No Thumbnails on symbolic link network paths but
    for Windows 10.

I have a NAS box \\DSxxx where I have a shared folder at \\DSxxx\Pictures. If I access this in Windows explorer directly everything looks fine. I can see thumbnails for the photos stored in this share and the details are filled with EXIF data when I view
    the file properties. But if I access the same folder through a symbolic link at %USERPROFILE%\NAS\Pictures, no thumbnails are shown and the file details are empty. I have confirmed the same works fine in Windows 7. It seems something happened with Windows
    Explorer starting at Windows 8 and the problem still remain unfixed in the latest version of Windows 10.

abubasim, Apr 20, 2020
  3. How to move and link files

1. Place your batch file (or a shortcut to it) on your desktop, then drop the file to be moved and linked onto the shortcut. Its name & path will appear as the first batch file argument (%1).
    2. Use UNC paths when creating your symbolic links with mklink.

Frederik Long, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Dgo47 Win User

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

1. No Thumbnails on Photos in Folders Created as Symbolic Links to UNC Paths - Similar Threads - Thumbnails Photos Folders

2. UNC path can not be accesss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNC path can not be accesss: How to access it?Unc path can not be accessed its showing network path can not be found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unc-path-can-not-be-accesss/9fc7277a-c1ec-4206-ae9c-4d37871cb3d7
  3. UNC path can not be accesss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNC path can not be accesss: How to access it?Unc path can not be accessed its showing network path can not be found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unc-path-can-not-be-accesss/9fc7277a-c1ec-4206-ae9c-4d37871cb3d7
  4. UNC path can not be accesss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Symbolic links/Folder links

Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  6. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  7. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Mapped drives and unc path

Mapped drives and unc path: I am runing Windows 10 version 20H2 with all updates applied on a peer to peer network with drives mapped to a shared network location on a Win Server 2012 R2. I also accesed other files from the server using the UNC path to the files. Suddenly both the mapped drives would...
  9. No Thumbnails on Symbolic Links to Network Paths

No Thumbnails on Symbolic Links to Network Paths: This is the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/no-thumbnails-on-symbolic-link-network-paths/8e9497d5-ef71-429d-b8ca-cf74672dc8f5 but for Windows 10. I have a NAS box \\DSxxx where I have a shared folder at...
  10. Symbolic links inside linked folder

Symbolic links inside linked folder: Hi I'm creating symbolic links of one folder (Missions folder) to server so that the server can load the missions from the linked folder and this works. But the problem is that when I create symbolic links inside the sub folders (of Missions folder) then the server fails to...