Windows 10: No "Turn off display" option for what the power buttons and lid do.

Discus and support No "Turn off display" option for what the power buttons and lid do. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I want to customise my power button of my laptop Dell XPS on Windows 10 Home to make the display turn off. No sleep or hibernate. Up until now the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dimitris-, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Dimitris- Win User

No "Turn off display" option for what the power buttons and lid do.

I want to customise my power button of my laptop Dell XPS on Windows 10 Home to make the display turn off. No sleep or hibernate. Up until now the solution was given here by MariusTC:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...what-the/657307a6-918c-4a5e-bb19-c1a843d1be43

However, after a recent Windows 10 update there is no CsEnabled key in the registry options and the problem stands again.

Any possible fixes?

:)

Dimitris-, Jul 16, 2020

2. turning off the display option for power button

Hi Caro,

The function to turn off the display on your device only affects the monitor but the rest of the programs still run in the background. On the other hand, sleep mode turns off any unused programs to save energy. To change the power option on your device,
    follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box and press Enter.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Power Options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Under Power and sleep button settings, click the drop-down arrow for
      When I press the power button: option and select Turn off the display.
    • Click Save changes.

Once you're done, check if the music still plays after clicking the power button.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Darwin Dim, Jul 16, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    turn off display option missing in system power settings

Is your HP Envy 17t-ce000 CTO a 'Modern Standby' machine? If so, then that may explain it. From a similar question about a Dell XPS...

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/9...6130902#M14642

4. No "Turn off display" option for what the power buttons and lid do.

No "Turn off display" option when choosing what the power buttons and lid do.

I recently got a new Dell XPS 9370, and on my old laptop I assigned the power button to just turn off the display in the power options so that I can leave time-consuming tasks running overnight.

However, on my new laptop this option appears to be missing, and I'm not sure how to solve this problem.

Here is a screenshot of the options allowing you to customise what the power buttons and lid do:

No "Turn off display" option for what the power buttons and lid do. e9633c01-a1d4-4145-a0a0-154f22d956c2?upload=true.png

As you can see, the option isn't greyed out like other people are sometimes reporting, it is just not there all together.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Nathaniel Struselis, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

No "Turn off display" option for what the power buttons and lid do.

1. No "Turn off display" option for what the power buttons and lid do. - Similar Threads - Turn off display

2. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  3. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  4. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  5. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  6. Can't find "Turn off display" button at power plan options.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't find "Turn off display" button at power plan options.: Hey, I just own a new PC, and i cannot found the button of "Turn off Display"... I've read from here that I can go to here: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power" and edit the "CsEnabled" registry, but there is no "CsEnabled" registry there. What...
  7. no power button - "turn off display" option Windows 10 Home 20H2

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    no power button - "turn off display" option Windows 10 Home 20H2: Since the windows update, the option to use the power button to turn off the display has disappeared from my advanced power options. I have the shutdown, hibernate, sleep and do nothing options, but not the "turn off display" option. The PC is a Surface Pro 6 and the...
  8. Turn Off the Display Via the Power Button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Turn Off the Display Via the Power Button: I would like to turn off the display on my tablet without putting it to sleep via pressing the power button. I read that the Power Options allow this. But, when I looked, I saw only Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, and Shut down. Turn off the display is not available. What...
  9. Windows 10 Home Power Options "Turn off the Display" Power Button Not Available / Not Listed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Home Power Options "Turn off the Display" Power Button Not Available / Not Listed: Hi guys, I've recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 (9570) and a feature I am very fond of under Power Options is not available on this machine. On my older machine (Dell M3800) I set the Power Button to "Turn off the Display", which helps save power and improves privacy when I...
  10. Power options and action for a lid,sleep,turn off

in Windows 10 Support
    Power options and action for a lid,sleep,turn off: Guys I need help.I cant find a way to change 3 actions in my power plan.I need for option "sleep" -action do nothing,"close lid" -action do nothing and for option "power button" -turn off computer. The point is that I cant find proper registry.Is there any bat.file or...