Windows 10: No update installation even after reboot

Discus and support No update installation even after reboot in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I got a couple updates and they indicated they were "waiting for restart". I restarted my computer and was surprised it didn't go through the whole... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Delly10, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Delly10 Win User

No update installation even after reboot

I got a couple updates and they indicated they were "waiting for restart". I restarted my computer and was surprised it didn't go through the whole "Configuring Windows Updates, do not turn off your computer" routine. After it was completely rebooted, I went into Settings, and Updates, and found that the downloaded updates are still waiting for me to restart my computer.

Here are the 2 updates: KB4074595 and KB4058258.

If restarting doesn't do the trick, then what am I supposed to do?

:)

Delly10, Mar 3, 2018
  2. bearcat36 Win User

Windows 10 installs fine, then won't load on reboot

So after trying to reboot about 10 times into Windows 10 and it not working, I went back to Windows 8.1. There were some other updates for 8.1, which I installed. After they installed, Windows 10 reinstalled. After the install, I rebooted, and now it
    appears to be working just fine, even after reboots. Maybe something was in the updates?

I will keep track and if any problems, will respond again to this post. Thank you for being willing to help out.

bearcat36, Mar 3, 2018
  3. Creators update failure iastora.sys

Thanks for the reply and links. I checked one out and decided to downgrade my iastora.sys file even though Devide manager reported no problem.

After rebooting the Creators Update tried to load and failed with the usual error code. After doing a hard reboot as usual Windows stated it needed to install an update. I let it procede and a couple of hours later after it rebooted the update failed to install
    and reverted back to my original version. After I rebooted it told me again it needed to install an update and the same result happened. I'll try again tomorrow and see what I can accomplish.

This was not the Creators Update. It has actually disappeared from my machine.

WilliamSeyler, Mar 3, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Mar 4, 2018
  5. Delly10 Win User
    Great! In other words, it's still another faulty update, which is what I seem to get each and every time I dare to download the latest updates. I guess I'll have to go back to my previous resolution to not allow any more Windows Updates to install on my computer. It's been nothing but a headache from day one.

Delly10, Mar 4, 2018
  6. pepesito Win User
    WUMT Wrapper script - controls windows update service | Page 6 | My Digital Life Forums

Try this , it works wonders

pepesito, Mar 5, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Stopping updates shouldn't be thought of as a solution- just a temporary option.

If updates (rather than upgrades) repeatedly cause you problems, expect there to be an underlying cause.

dalchina, Mar 5, 2018
  8. No update installation even after reboot

@Delly10

Do you still want to find a solution for your issue, or did you give up? I promise you, that you will soon run into even deeper issues with your computer if this issue does not get resolved in time.

I might have a few solutions for you so we get the updates going again.

Please let me know if you still want to continue this journey. It's your choice! *Smile

slicendice, Mar 5, 2018
  9. Delly10 Win User
    I guess I'm willing to try, but it seems like every single time I download updates and try to install, it's a different problem every time. First, it was that it totally changed all my settings and deleted some of my programs. The next time, I was supposed to just get updates to the version of Win10 I already had, but instead it did a complete replacement of my existing OS with the same version, which caused settings and programs to be messed up once again. The following time, I couldn't connect to the internet for about a week. Now this time, there were 3 downloads: One of them downloaded, but still says it's waiting to download, and the other 2 are still waiting for me to restart, even though I just did that. If they eventually get installed, I have no idea if they'll end up causing more problems or not, but right now they won't even install.

See, this is why I hesitate to download updates. Each one is supposed to make my computer more secure and make it work better. But each one has been nothing but problems each and every time. So as a result of the latest update, I'm here to try to find a solution for it. If I hadn't downloaded the update, I wouldn't be here with more problems.

Pepesito had a solution for me in post #4 that I don't even understand how to implement.

Delly10, Mar 6, 2018
  10. pepesito Win User
    The installation guide is on the first post I passed the link I had bookmarked

pepesito, Mar 6, 2018
  11. @Delly10

Here's what you could try:
    !NOTE! When I say Type I mean copy/paste !NOTE!

• Open Elevated Command prompt
      1. Look for Command Prompt in Start Menu
      2. Right click on it and select Run As Administrator
      3. Press YES on the UAC prompt
    • Stop Windows Update Service
      Type the following command:
      Code: net stop wuauserv[/quote]
    • Delete temporary update files
      1. Type the following command:
      Code: explorer C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download[/quote] 2. Delete everything in the Download folder that just opened
      3. Close the Explorer window
    • Re-enable Windows Update Service
      Type the following in Command Prompt:
      Code: net start wuauserv[/quote]
    • Clean Reboot System
      Code: shutdown /r /t 0[/quote]
    • Try Windows update again
      Go to the usual Windows Update page in settings and try to update

If this did, not work, then try disabling any AV you have and try again from beginning. After successful update, you can re-enable your AV.

If this still does not work, then you have a deeper issue on your computer and we need to take a closer look at what it is doing and not doing, before it completely crashes.

slicendice, Mar 6, 2018
  12. Delly10 Win User
      Code: explorer C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download[/quote] 2. Delete everything in the Download folder that just opened
    • Clean Reboot System

If this did, not work, then try disabling any AV you have and try again from beginning. After successful update, you can re-enable your AV.

If this still does not work, then you have a deeper issue on your computer and we need to take a closer look at what it is doing and not doing, before it completely crashes.[/quote] Thank you for this. I'll give it a try, but it might be several days before I can get to it.

Delly10, Mar 7, 2018
  13. Delly10 Win User

• Clean Reboot System

If this still does not work, then you have a deeper issue on your computer and we need to take a closer look at what it is doing and not doing, before it completely crashes.[/quote] Ok, I just did what you said to do. After finishing step 4, I checked the Windows Update section under Settings, expecting to find the downloaded updates to be gone, but one of the 2 were still there, still waiting for me to restart my computer (again). After the reboot, there was a message saying that it was configuring windows updates, even though I had just deleted them. Now the computer is rebooted and froze up for quite awhile before I was able to make another attempt at downloading updates again.

Delly10, Mar 10, 2018
  14. Yes, that is what happens.

Did the update go through this time?

slicendice, Mar 11, 2018
  15. Delly10 Win User
    Apparently not. My computer is completely screwed up now. I did the restart after downloading all the updates, which included a “cumulative” one that required a restart. After I restarted, it still didn’t indicate that windows updates were being configured. It just went straight to the lock screen. When I click on the settings icon to check the update status, I get an error message that says, “Class not registered”. When I click the Start menu icon in the left corner, nothing happens, so I now can’t get into Settings at all to do anything. Also, clicking on the Wi-fi symbol to bring up the available networks doesn't do anything anymore. On top of all this, the computer is giving me warning messages that it's time to restart my computer--again. Since the Settings section isn't letting me access it, and I can't even get into Control Panel, I can't even adjust when the restart happens. I had it set for 3am in order to keep it from restarting when I'm using the computer, but it keeps being changed back to 10 minutes after I turn the computer on.

I also just discovered that I can't type anything into the search box next to the Start menu icon. I was hoping that I could do a search and get into Settings that way.

I've never seen it messed up as badly as it is now. See why I don't trust Windows Updates? I was going to make this my last one, but now it screwed up my computer. So what am I supposed to do now?

Delly10, Mar 17, 2018
Thema:

1. No update installation even after reboot - Similar Threads - update installation reboot

2. MS Update reboot even in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Update reboot even in sleep mode: on my working station I have open abt. 10 windows with autocad, 3 with navisworks and some with nesting software. when updates are being pushed, w11 reboots, when not used. this means, it kills all my open apps, installs useless updates and i have to start over. I tried to...
  3. MS Update reboot even in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Update reboot even in sleep mode: on my working station I have open abt. 10 windows with autocad, 3 with navisworks and some with nesting software. when updates are being pushed, w11 reboots, when not used. this means, it kills all my open apps, installs useless updates and i have to start over. I tried to...
  4. Update does not install even after restarting PC

Update does not install even after restarting PC: For days my PC is showing to update for Windows 11 version 22H2 KB5028185 by restarting,but no matter how many times I restart,the installation is not done and the notice keeps popping up.I have no idea what the reason is, what should I do?...
  5. random reboot even after clean install of OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random reboot even after clean install of OS: It does not matter if I install Win 10 what the machine came with or Win 11, it experiences random reboots even after a clean OS install and 0 software installed, with only Edge and my preferred extensions running all of which does not crash any other machines using same...
  6. random reboot even after clean install of OS

random reboot even after clean install of OS: It does not matter if I install Win 10 what the machine came with or Win 11, it experiences random reboots even after a clean OS install and 0 software installed, with only Edge and my preferred extensions running all of which does not crash any other machines using same...
  7. Rebooting After Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Rebooting After Updates: Hi since this update KB5004296 was installed my PC yesterday, it reboots on its own. After this update was installed today KB5004331, it rebooted on it's own. Anybody else experienced this problem, is it a problem? 183372
  8. Windows can't update even after clean install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't update even after clean install: This problem has plagued my pc for about a year, I encountered the infamous “We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes” error about a year ago. It was only solved by a complete format and reinstall of the latest version of windows. About a month later the error...
  9. File Explorer busted -- even after reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer busted -- even after reboot: Self explanatory. Windows 10 Pro -- appears recent updates busted Windows Explorer. I rebooted and still does not work. Running DISM and SFC to see if it helps, but doubtful. What is the deal Microsoft? Does no one test updates? This is pretty apparent when you cannot...
  10. Random Reboots Even After Format

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Reboots Even After Format: Hi apologises if this is in the wrong section but ive just recently sold my gaming pc on ebay and want to resolve the issue before shipping out so last night came to switch the pc on after many months of not using it and it kept coming up onto a blue screen windows has...