Windows 10: No usable free extent could be found error when running DISKPART

Discus and support No usable free extent could be found error when running DISKPART in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]DISKPART is a very useful command line disk management tool which can be used to manage, delete or create new hard drive partitions.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 29, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

No usable free extent could be found error when running DISKPART

WinClub, Apr 29, 2019

2. DISKPART says "Virtual Disk Service error: The disk's extent information is corrupted" ? Which disk is "The disk's"? How to fix this?

I had to reinstall Windows 10, and since I did that I can't re-create a RAID-1 mirror on two identical disks.

It doesn't matter if I used the GUI Disk Manager or the command line
    DISKPART, so I'll post the command line version here

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: ARES

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 111 GB 0 B

Disk 1 Online 5589 GB 9 GB * *

Disk 2 Online 5589 GB 5588 GB * *

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 D 5.45TB NTFS Simple 5579 GB Healthy

Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy System

Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 111 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 3 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART> select volume 0

Volume 0 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> add disk =2

Virtual Disk Service error:

The disk's extent information is corrupted.

DiskPart has referenced an object which is not up-to-date.

Refresh the object by using the RESCAN command.

If the problem persists exit DiskPart, then restart DiskPart or restart the

computer.

Attempts to get an answer from Microsoft for this have met with:

- reinstall Windows - didn't fix it from a clean USB-based install;

- in-place update ("I promise this will fix it") - didn't fix it

I've been using Windows for 30 years and I've never had this problem. It's clear nobody at Microsoft seems able to help....!

BrianButterworth, Apr 29, 2019
  3. Diskpart problems?

Hi again, I tried what you suggested and got the same error message as before. I spoke to a guy on another forum and he suggested typing the "Active" command before doing the Format.
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number for the USB flash drive
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
    He tried it on a Windows 7 PC with the Active command straight after format and he was told to select a partition again...but when selecting Active first before format it was fine.
    Im thinking that might be the case on my Windows 10 laptop too but instead of getting a reminder to select a partition I get an error. After the error message If I select a partition and Type Active everything is OK. It seems a bit strange I know!!

Can I ask you though. Is it OK to type the Active command before the Format command or should Active only be typed into Diskpart after the Format has been done?

sportsfan148, Apr 29, 2019
  4. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

1. No usable free extent could be found error when running DISKPART - Similar Threads - usable free extent

2. Run DLL, the specified module could not be found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run DLL, the specified module could not be found.: Upon startup I received this error message. I noticed that if I run any games, the framerate is locked to about 21 fps while I would typically get around 144+ fps. It doesn't seem like any other functions like browsing are affected. I attempted to use system restore to fix...
  3. Run DLL, the specified module could not be found.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run DLL, the specified module could not be found.: Upon startup I received this error message. I noticed that if I run any games, the framerate is locked to about 21 fps while I would typically get around 144+ fps. It doesn't seem like any other functions like browsing are affected. I attempted to use system restore to fix...
  4. Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. After Running DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. After Running DISM: Hey,I am using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1105, After installing some application that changed one of my system files later on I read its documentation, I keep getting the same error every time I try to restore health via DISM. How can I fix this error without...
  5. Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. After Running DISM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. After Running DISM: Hey,I am using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1105, After installing some application that changed one of my system files later on I read its documentation, I keep getting the same error every time I try to restore health via DISM. How can I fix this error without...
  6. Diskpart Virtual Disk Service error, There is not enough usable space

in Windows 10 News
    Diskpart Virtual Disk Service error, There is not enough usable space: [ATTACH]While creating a partition on a hard disk by using the Diskpart utility, some users encountered the error “There is not enough usable space for this operation.” According to the error message, you are unable to create a new partition because of the lack of usable...
  7. Fix Run DLL: eed_ec.dll, The specified module could not be found error

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Run DLL: eed_ec.dll, The specified module could not be found error: [ATTACH]If you receive an error message, There was a problem starting C:\WINDOWS\system32\eed_ec.dll; The specified […] This article Fix Run DLL: eed_ec.dll, The specified module could not be found error first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. DISKPART VIRTUAL DISK ERROR...."The object is not found."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISKPART VIRTUAL DISK ERROR...."The object is not found.": Hello all, My apologies up front for a long post, and most likely some information that you don't need. But I want to be thorough and make sure I include everything that might be pertinent. I built a desktop back in October of 2018, and it's worked great up until a couple...
  9. Backup "No usable drives found"

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup "No usable drives found": Windows 10 Pro, Insider Preview. Was checking my Backup and found it was not running. Has in the past and have an older File History on an external drive. I want to create a new File History backup on a SSD, "D" on this PC. Go to "Add a Drive" in Settings, says "No usable...
  10. Running Diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running Diskpart: I use this to select a drive to backup data,drive is not always powered up. I only power this up after windows has booted and need to backup something. Every time I use this now when I boot the backup drive it always wants to do a disk check?Never did this in windows7,what...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no usable free extent could be found diskpart

2. no usable free extent could be found.

3. diskpart no free extent

4. no usable free extent could be found error when using shrink command,
  5. msata no usable free extent could be found