Windows 10: No USB kybd or mouse after W10 upgrade

Discus and support No USB kybd or mouse after W10 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Running W7 on a modern desktop (Asus mobo) I had put this off for a long time - hoping it would be stable by time I upgrade. Followed full update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sargan, Jun 14, 2016.

1. sargan Win User

No USB kybd or mouse after W10 upgrade

Running W7 on a modern desktop (Asus mobo)
    I had put this off for a long time - hoping it would be stable by time I upgrade.

Followed full update process - al up to date before upgrade.
    After 100% upgrade ... it rebooted and got to to login screen - would not accept any mouse of keyboard input (both are USB)
    Reboot and at BIOS level the mouse & kybd work fine.
    As soon as I boot up OS they don't work ....

I then tried a (very old) PS2 kybd ... that did work and allow me to login ... but mouse still not working.
    Mouse does power up (LED) but no cursor on screen.

A number of popup windows telling me I need to update ... but can't proceed as no mouse.
    I have an old PS2 mouse but PC only has 1 PS2 port .... if I plug in mouse into it ... there is a beep but still no cursor.

It looks like all files are there - it has network access ... just can't get any USB devices to work.
    I now stuck can't get into anything ....

Help - please - need to resolve ASAP

:)

sargan, Jun 14, 2016
  2. bykboi Win User

Windows 10 - Jerky Mouse Movement

PLUGGED IN my old Dell USB Keyboard and Mouse and problem is fixed.

It was "nice" to have a wireless mouse and kybd but essentially, to me, it is a feature without benefit. I'm happy with the old setup.

bykboi, Jun 14, 2016
  3. bykboi Win User
    Windows 10 - Jerky Mouse Movement

PLUGGED IN my old Dell USB Keyboard and Mouse and problem is fixed.

It was "nice" to have a wireless mouse and kybd but essentially, to me, it is a feature without benefit. I'm happy with the old setup.

bykboi, Jun 14, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

I must have a different interpretation of a modern desktop, my boards lost P/S2 long ago.

You can't hot plug in a P/S2 mouse and expect it to work, won't happen. Reboot required. Likely that board had a P/S2 splitter to allow mouse and KB thru the port, depends, most of those have mse and KB symbols on or by the port.

It is a driver issue in W10 GUI, since you have them in BIOS, First step try a different USB port.

You can also try KKB commands in the GUI, tab, enter, to get the update process started, in downloading and installing updates it might solve itself.

RWOne, Jun 14, 2016
  5. sargan Win User
    This is a pretty recent 64bit ASUS mobo - includes 1 x PS2 port .... which I'm told is because of issues like this where USB will not work.
    It does have mouse/keyboard symbol ............

I dis try several USB ports .. USB 2 and 3 and formt and back of PC ports - all the same.

Anyway ......... issue update..

I managed to find my way to device manager using Keyboard ... and found there were yellow warning triangles against all the USB controller entries.
    For each I went in and read the message "Software for device has bee blocked, contact vendor for new driver"
    I tried update driver software> search automatically it comes back with "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"

So Windows tells me it needs me driver and driver is up to date - I just knew this W10 upgrade would fail.

I chickened out and rolled back to W7 ... at least all is working again ....
    Not sure how to proceed... W7 happy with drivers, but not W10

sargan, Jun 14, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    I'd grab the W10 USB drivers from ASUS, place on your desktop before the upgrade, then retry, then you can try running the driver install using the KB, then see what you get ...

RWOne, Jun 14, 2016
  7. sargan Win User
    Not finding it easy to identify correct drivers ....... they show BIOS drivers but not USB drivers ........... is there a utility to get correct drivers and upgrade prior top OS upgrade ?

sargan, Jun 14, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

On newer MB's RW they call the PS2 Port the Game Port , it is for Gaming Mice as I believe PS2 has less lag and a higher polling rate etc. than USB. I use it on my X99/X58 Boards with my wireless USB Trackball via a USB to PS2 adaptor that came with the Mouse , I can then use the mouse to wake the Computer.

It sounds like the Drivers you have are not Certified/WHQL which is why Win10 is blocking them so you may need to turn off Driver Verification if Asus does not have newer Drivers , though I'd have thought Win10 would be using built in ones from the Intel or AMD Chipset ?

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-...igned-drivers/

Kbird, Jun 14, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    PS filling in your System Specs may help get you more advice re particular Motherboard etc

Kbird, Jun 14, 2016
  10. RWOne Win User
    Ahh, my bad than, good to know info for the port. Though it's still not hot plug, correct?

RWOne, Jun 14, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    Correct PS2 is not hot plug even on newer Boards ....

Kbird, Jun 14, 2016
  12. sargan Win User
    I have filled in my System Specs - maybe I did it after you looked, was after the original post.

Mobo is ASUS P8z77-V LE Bios ver AMI 1104

Drivers installed are:
    Intel USB 3.0 exTensible Host Controller ver 1.0.5.235
    ASMedia XCHI Controller ver 1.14.8.0
    Intel 7 series/C216 USB Enhanced Host Controller 9.3.0.1011

How can I confirm if these are OK for W10 ? ............. and if tehy are can I turn off digital signing now ?

sargan, Jun 14, 2016
  13. sargan Win User

Just spent an Hr on ASUS sites - my drivers are up to date for W7
    There is no W10 USB drivers showing at all. Is this normal not to have drivers for W10 ?

Can I turn off driver signing now on W7 before I upgrade - or I will again be stuck unable to make changes as can't get USB mouse working

sargan, Jun 14, 2016
  14. Kbird Win User
    Ahhh I am at Asus right now and there are Win10 Drivers.... assuming you MB Model is correct in your Sig. ?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z...Desk_Download/

not for USB in particular but the Chipset Drivers are where the USB stuff comes from AFAIK.

A F8 Boot usually gives you the option to reboot after disabling driver verification , it's option 7 or 8 I think on the menu.

Kbird, Jun 14, 2016
  15. sargan Win User
    What I meant (sorrry) was that if you set OS to W7 it does list USB drivers but when you set W10 it does not list any for USB. I can check drivers again once I upgrade to W10 ... but need to get USB working on boot up or I can't proceed.

All up to date for W7

sargan, Jun 14, 2016
Thema:

1. No USB kybd or mouse after W10 upgrade - Similar Threads - USB kybd mouse

2. Mouse releases click when dragging after upgrade from W10 to W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse releases click when dragging after upgrade from W10 to W11: After upgrading to W11, I've noticed this issue.The pattern I observed is: - click and hold left button, drag while holding left button, - stop dragging while holding button, - drag again while holding button. At this point windows releases the button without it physically...
  3. Mouse releases click when dragging after upgrade from W10 to W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse releases click when dragging after upgrade from W10 to W11: After upgrading to W11, I've noticed this issue.The pattern I observed is: - click and hold left button, drag while holding left button, - stop dragging while holding button, - drag again while holding button. At this point windows releases the button without it physically...
  4. W10 restart/USB keyboard & mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 restart/USB keyboard & mouse: I recently waded into the W10 pool and I am completely baffled about this subject. I set up a dual boot SSD with my W7 system of seven years which still hums and I can say everything is running very nicely.W10 starts up extremely fast from a power up - thanks to “Fast Start”...
  5. Ownership locked after upgrading to W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ownership locked after upgrading to W10: Got a new computer with Windows 10, reconnected my external HDD with all my files. Most files audio and video on the external HDD are mysteriously blocked, not related to file extensions some files with same extension work, others don't. Tried to log in as Administrator...
  6. W10 restart/USB keyboard & mouse

W10 restart/USB keyboard & mouse: I recently waded into the W10 pool and I am completely baffled about this subject. I set up a dual boot SSD with my W7 system of seven years (which still hums) and I can say everything is running very nicely. W10 starts up extremely fast from a power up - thanks to “Fast...
  7. USB Ports Not Working After Upgrade to W10

USB Ports Not Working After Upgrade to W10: I have a computer here who's USB ports have stopped worked...mostly after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 The two on the front of the case dont work at all. And the 6 on the back of the machine work for some things but not for others. Mice, drawing tablets and...
  8. W10 Upgrade blocking my USB ports

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Upgrade blocking my USB ports: Hi So for the third time I'm trying to upgrade my WIN 7 to 10 which works fine but 10 is disabling all of my USB ports on my Sabretooth 990 FX R2 motherboard so I then downloaded the latest drivers from Asus web site and when I try to update the drivers through device...
  9. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  10. WLAN problems after upgrade to W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WLAN problems after upgrade to W10: Hello everyone! I've upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now it says there are "no connections available", although my Wifi is working perfectly on other devices. I've been checking and trying some things, but nothing seems to work. This is what I know: - I...