Windows 10: No user data in windows.old

Discus and support No user data in windows.old in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is a windows.old folder in the root directory of c:. Within windows.old, there is a \Users folder,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rbmorse, Aug 28, 2015.

1. rbmorse Win User

No user data in windows.old

After an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is a windows.old folder in the root directory of c:. Within windows.old, there is a \Users folder, and within the \Users folder there are child folders for the user accounts that were on Windows 7, but none of the child folders have data.

This is not a disaster as I have an image backup of the partition, but I find it damned curious and wonder how this might have happened. Anyone have a idea?

:)

rbmorse, Aug 28, 2015

2. Desktop Data Vanished

Hi,

I would suggest you to check if the data is present in Windows.old folder in C:\ Drive. In the Windows.old folder, look for the Users folder where you will find the user accounts and check if you can get the data.

Let us know if it helps.

Rohit Siddegowda, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Lost photos and files

Hi,

I would suggest you to check if the data is present in Windows.old folder in C:\ Drive. In the Windows.old folder, look for the Users folder where you will find the user accounts and check if you can get the data.

Let us know if it helps.

Rohit Siddegowda, Aug 28, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Use Disk cleanup by chance or anything similar ?

jds63, Aug 28, 2015
  5. rbmorse Win User
    Not that I know of, but I'm not the only one with access to the machine.

However, as I understand it, using disk cleanup (clean system files) would remove the entire windows.old folder. In this case the folder is still there, there's just no data for users, although the user folders are present, i.e., there's \Users\ron, but the folder ron is empty.

rbmorse, Aug 28, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Instead of looking in Windows.old. if I remember correctly, look in your Win10 users folder(turn on hidden items) and see if there is an extra folder from the upgrade there, I can't remember what it's called(already clean installed on both PCs).

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    True, would of wiped it, just a thought of a possibility disk cleanup will usually remove windows backup and updates if checked on box of cleanup.

jds63, Aug 28, 2015
  8. rbmorse Win User

I found an obscure Technet item that indicated this could happen if the upgrade process runs twice in succession...the first upgrade creates the normal windows.old folder, the second creates a new windows.old folder over the first, but there is no user data since the user accounts haven't been set up yet.

I seem to recall that when the upgrade ran on that machine I did have to answer the setup questions twice...which I found a bit odd, but since things seemed to be working I didn't think much of it. Now, why the upgrader would run twice...

rbmorse, Aug 28, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Have that article, i do find that strange ? Have anything to do with more users on PC you meant ? Where you looking for files that were missing during the upgrade, reasons for you checking there in first place or out of curiosity ?

jds63, Aug 28, 2015
  10. rbmorse Win User
    I was hoping to find a copy of a document I had intentionally deleted from my Windows 10 installation and then decided I wanted back. I knew it had been on the machine at the time the upgrade was done, and I thought I could just pull a copy from Windows.old instead of having to go through the monkey motion of getting it from the backup image. I was surprised to find no user data in Windows.old and that made me curious.

rbmorse, Aug 29, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    Check where Cliff S told you if find it there. Even though made a system image, all files like this (e.g. Documents, music,videos,pictures) should be always put on a backup drive, told in tutorials here and many other places before upgrading.
    We all learn from our mistakes, not sure how to retrieve it from image or anywhere else.

jds63, Aug 29, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    rb did you happen to sync your documents with OneDrive on the previous OS? Even if you deleted it Onedrive has a recycle bin too that must be accessed from the internet(not from win7 or win8 but from the browser) to be cleared. This has helped me twice when I accidentally deleted a couple of scripts I needed later on(almost as easy to recover as from File History if I hadn't cleaned it out too).

Cliff S, Aug 29, 2015
  13. rbmorse Win User

Thanks both.

Cliff, I don't use One Drive, but I do use Macrium Reflect Standard edition and had, in fact, made an insurance image before executing the upgrade as JDS mentioned (this isn't my first rodeo). With Reflect (Standard) I can mount a backup image as a virtual hard drive and pull individual files/folders off that...which I did...it's just that the backup image was on an external drive that lives waaaaay over on the other side of the room, and it sooooooo far to go....<g>.

Anyway, I did recover the data I needed, but as noted above I was curious as to why the user folders in Windows.old were empty. I think I have an answer to that (the upgrade was restarted before it finished).

As for why that happened...I just noticed that particular machine consistently needs two tries when I shut it down. The first completes and after about 5 seconds it powers itself back up. Shutdown from there actually does. Something in the ACPI code or maybe a BIOS/UEFI issue. I dunno. That particular machine (Intel seven series motherboard) has always been "sensitive". The other machine, built around an ASUS 9 series motherboard is solid as rock.

rbmorse, Aug 29, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    That was the mystery, where it went and why. Glad able to recover it from image, this i was not sure as do not use Macrium but know it is a good program. Get off the chair and get it !! *Biggrin I also use external device for backups.

jds63, Aug 29, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    I like to find out the "why's" too, to hopefully prevent something from happening again, or at least I can sleep well, without it running through my head the whole night*Smile. Plus I just like solving these kind of "puzzles" as I can always reimage or like you mount one.*Thumbs

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No user data in windows.old - Similar Threads - user data old

2. Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...: Someone brought me two laptops. The old one had Win 10 with a HDD. The new one had Win 11 and an m.2 drive. Both laptops were set up with the same Microsoft user account. This person wanted their personal data transferred from the old laptop to the new. I took the HDD out of...
  3. Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...: Someone brought me two laptops. The old one had Win 10 with a HDD. The new one had Win 11 and an m.2 drive. Both laptops were set up with the same Microsoft user account. This person wanted their personal data transferred from the old laptop to the new. I took the HDD out of...
  4. Transferred data from old computer to new, now old computer is stuck with a temporary user...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Relocating User data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Relocating User data: So I know we can relocate default user data either during installation or later on. My question is, (and this is for user data only and not other system folders), what happens when you do a reinstall? My setup: C: for windows and software, D: for regular data and games, and...
  6. Will Edge Chromium migrate user data from Old Edge after Windows update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will Edge Chromium migrate user data from Old Edge after Windows update?: I have been using Old Edge as my main browser since it came out in 2015. Hence I have all my bookmarks, cookies, passwords etc. there. (But no sync with MS account for privacy reasons.) Edge Chromium, when manually installed, used to copy everything from Google Chrome. That...
  7. Getting old Windows user data back?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Getting old Windows user data back?: I bought a new PC and installed my old records. I have NOT transferred the disk with my old Windows data and want to transfer the data. But I don't have the authorization and I can't do that. How can I get my data back? I can access individual data, but I have a lot of...
  8. User to User Data Migration

in Windows 10 Customization
    User to User Data Migration: When I got my current device, I used my parents Microsoft account for the main user and administrator on it. Now that I have my own account, I want to make a user using my personal information, but everything is on the first account. Is there a way I can migrate all the data...
  9. Finding user data on old HD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Finding user data on old HD: Old XP computer is dead. Purchased enclosure for the hard drive. Connected to my laptop running Windows 10. HD is recognized, but I can't find my user files, such as documents and photos. Any ideas? Thanks. 105799
  10. Windows Hides My Old Data

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Hides My Old Data: IS hiding your Desktop app icons from Windows 7 along with pictures a hidden feature in 10? I have installed Windows 10 Pro thru my upgrade and all of my Desktop app icons and pictures/videos were all hidden. I just went into folder options and unhid everything. Wasn't sure...