Windows 10: No video in safe mode

Discus and support No video in safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I try to restart my pc in safe mode everything goes as it should until after I press the number "4", then the screens go black for a second, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ronzie009, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ronzie009 Win User

No video in safe mode

When I try to restart my pc in safe mode everything goes as it should until after I press the number "4", then the screens go black for a second, then a trapezoidal Windows logo but with no rotating dots appears for about 20 seconds, then both screens go black again, and my main monitor, which is attached to the graphics card with a DVI connection, displays a box that says "NO SIGNAL" and then goes off, while the secondary monitor, which uses a VGA connector, displays only a box that says "unsupported resolution" but stays on. The drive indicator light continues blinking like the pc is doing something, but nothing else appears on the screens and I have to long press the power button to turn off the pc.

This behavior started sometime last year after one of the Windows feature upgrades. I don't know which one, as I rarely use safe mode. It worked fine prior to that.

The graphics card is quite old, so they aren't making new drivers.

I tried doing an in-place upgrade to the same version of Windows, but it didn't fix the problem.

From an administrator command line, "SFC /scannow" says there are no problems, and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" reports "The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully..".

System specs:
    Lenovo Ideacentre K23010016
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
    AMD Radeon HD 5450 driver v 15.301.1901.0
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Windows 10 Home 64bit version 1909 build 18363.720

:)

ronzie009, Mar 19, 2020

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps. 

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work).
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    How to boot into Safe mode.

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you
    don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the
      F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    • Select an option Safe mode with Networking using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the
      Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with Networking and then press
      ENTER.

I would suggest you to force shutdown your system and then try to restart it again and check if you are able to login to safe boot.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 19, 2020
  4. No video in safe mode

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10  

I am stuck in Safe Mode in spite of following all the suggested steps to go back to Normal Startup - Like opening file location of msconfig.exe & running as Administrator. The computer I am trying to get out of safe mode has just been updated from Windows 7.

GreatWhiteNorth, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

No video in safe mode

1. No video in safe mode - Similar Threads - video safe mode

2. Safe Mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Safe Mode: A friends computer was extremely sluggish after an antivirus update.The friend used to access the computer only using a PIN and did not know their passwordI tried to boot the computer in safe mode to try and understand the issue. After booting in safe mode computer said I...
  3. Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Safe Mode: A friends computer was extremely sluggish after an antivirus update.The friend used to access the computer only using a PIN and did not know their passwordI tried to boot the computer in safe mode to try and understand the issue. After booting in safe mode computer said I...
  4. Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Mode: I am stuck in safe mode and given less than 10 seconds to input and initiate msconfig to exit safe mode process which I can't complete. I've tried this countless, please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-mode/4ed6f008-169d-4f03-908b-cf4b761db623
  5. Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Safe mode: How to change safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-mode/031fa033-73e3-4f85-8fa9-911231e9b116
  6. Safe Mode / Not Safe Mode Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Safe Mode / Not Safe Mode Problem: Windows 10 PC on feature pack 1909. Mapped drive S: to a DC/AD/Server 2016 share. Several folders on the share are large. PC1 was working fine till yesterday. Now those large folders on S: can take up to 3 minutes to display contents in Explorer. Other folders on S: display...
  7. safe mode

safe mode: In safe mode no network it says incorrect password. I've tried restart shift key but when I try to troubleshoot it ask for my password and says incorrect so I can't go any further. Any suggestions?...
  8. safe mode

safe mode: How to open windows in safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-mode/f8ed9db0-d631-4191-9544-d18958d86e24
  9. Safe mode

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Safe mode: I am trying to boot into safe mode, the system will not do so, I get a small window that says, "A problem occurred in BitDefender Threat Scanner, a file containing error information has been created at C:\windows\temp\BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp. I locate the file but...
  10. Safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe mode: I started up in safe mode and my windows directory got corrupted and had to restore from a backup. Any thoughts on why? My OS is on an SSD and was wondering if it has gone bad. 107033