Windows 10: no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working

Discus and support no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, for some time now all videos on my system are without thumbnails in the explorer. Image files are shown correctly with thumbnails. I already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stefan59, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Stefan59 Win User

no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working

Hi there, for some time now all videos on my system are without thumbnails in the explorer. Image files are shown correctly with thumbnails. I already tried all recommended solutions like deleting the thumbnail cache (manually and via disk cleaner), checked all settings in the Explorer options, none makes any difference. Neither Windows Explorer, nor Free Commander XE or other 'Files' display the video thumbnails. I can create new videos, move them on different drives or folders, same problem. Video file format seems to make no difference, too (tried AVI, WMV, MP4). When I open the video folders within Magix Video Deluxe or within VLC, thumbnails are shown. Since I'm working a lot with videos (creating lots of them for teaching purposes in my online learning academy), having no thumbnails is REALLY odd and inconvenient. On a second system, same setup and Windows version, all works fine (same user profile). What else can I do to get my video thumbnails back? Any help is appreciated! Stefan Winver: 21H1 Build 19043.1165

:)

Stefan59, Aug 18, 2021
  2. erocker Win User

Posting thumbnails

So, if I have this correct, if you use the Insert image button and put the url in from the pictures host site it will put it in thumbnail form. Right?

no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working tpfairy.jpg

Nope, it didn't work. At least not from the TPU image host.

*Now I have watched your video. Thanks!!!

erocker, Aug 18, 2021
  3. Callender Win User
    Inserting Thumbnails in Video Files..... !?

That is really complicated. See this thread posted in another forum:

Video Thumbnails: How to Edit? - VideoHelp Forum

I would suggest organising videos into appropriately named folders and give each video a name that identifies what it is.

Note: I've tried various video managers including Veehive and some of them can let you grab a thumbnail to use - mostly those chosen thumbnails are not displayed in Explorer even with MediaPreview installed. Instead thumbnails are auto generated.

I like this software to browse videos:

Diffractor: Find and organize - photos, videos and audio.

You might want to test it. Navigate to a folder containing video then hover mouse over thumbnails.

A quick demo video. Video can be played within Diffractor and additionally opened in other installed media player. Towards the end of the demo video you see a video opened in PotPlayer with timeline thumbnails. You also get timeline thumbnails in Diffractor.

Callender, Aug 18, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

dalchina, Aug 18, 2021
Thema:

1. no video thumbnails, image thumbnails are working - Similar Threads - video thumbnails image

2. Video Thumbnails not showing. Image thumbnails work fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Thumbnails not showing. Image thumbnails work fine.: Video Thumbnails not showing. Image thumbnails work fine. if i change .mp4 file to .vob the icons show a preview again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-thumbnails-not-showing-image-thumbnails-work/8f8450f0-81fa-4baa-bc62-1e2f7d250f5d
  3. Video Thumbnails not showing. Image thumbnails work fine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video Thumbnails not showing. Image thumbnails work fine.: Video Thumbnails not showing. Image thumbnails work fine. if i change .mp4 file to .vob the icons show a preview again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-thumbnails-not-showing-image-thumbnails-work/8f8450f0-81fa-4baa-bc62-1e2f7d250f5d
  4. Video Thumbnails not showing. Image thumbnails work fine.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Video Thumbnails not showing. Images work fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Thumbnails not showing. Images work fine.: This is really a continuation of the thread of the same name started by BlakeNY.Like BlakeNY, I became increasingly frustrated at the "answers" that were not 'listening' ok, reading to what s/he was saying.Finally, I found this site:...
  6. Video Thumbnails not showing. Images work fine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video Thumbnails not showing. Images work fine.: This is really a continuation of the thread of the same name started by BlakeNY.Like BlakeNY, I became increasingly frustrated at the "answers" that were not 'listening' ok, reading to what s/he was saying.Finally, I found this site:...
  7. Video Thumbnails not showing. Images work fine.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Video Thumbnails not showing. Images work fine

Video Thumbnails not showing. Images work fine: Windows stopped showing video thumbnails in explorer and it's driving me nuts. I make videos for work and now it's like I'm working blind because I can't see what I'm opening. Image thumbnails still work. I have tried every solution I have been able to find but none have...
  9. Thumbnails not showing up for images and videos

Thumbnails not showing up for images and videos: Hi there, I don't know why, but whenever my thumbnails do not show the previews for the pictures Always tends to occur at night time. I've looked through MULTIPLE threads and they All say the same exact thing which is: "Go to View tab, go to Options, and go to the change...
  10. image on thumbnails

image on thumbnails: In older versions of windows you could see images of what was in an svg file. With windows 10 you can't. I save a lot of craft patterns, and it takes forever to find the file I'm looking for without an image on the thumbnail. Is there a way to set this up?...