Windows 10: No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive

Discus and support No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a 2.5 inch 1Tb drive to serve as a recovery device. It is connected via a SATA/USB adapter to a USB port on the rear panel of the PC. It is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pikeman, Dec 9, 2020.

1. pikeman Win User

No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive

I bought a 2.5 inch 1Tb drive to serve as a recovery device. It is connected via a SATA/USB adapter to a USB port on the rear panel of the PC. It is not visible in File Manager, the Disk Managaer aplet, Device Manager, nor is it appearing in the UEFI BIOS. The BIOS settings don't restrict any USB functions and the adapter fixture works fine with an older Toshiba 128Gb SSD I have been using.
    The drive is a fresh/new, Seagate Constellation.
    I'm stuck.

I'm running v1909 18363.1139

:)

pikeman, Dec 9, 2020
  2. Jay Jap Win User

SSD not being shown in disk management

Hello,

We need to do further investigation on your concern so that we can identify the cause of the issue:

• Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port?
    • Have you checked if the SSD is visible in Device Manager? Follow these steps to verify if it is visible in Device Manager:
      • Right-click on Start and click-on Device Manager.
      • Click-on the Disk drive and check if it is there.
      • If it is visible, try to check if you can update its driver.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Dec 9, 2020
  3. HP Disk Drive not visible

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Method 1: I would suggest you first try the Troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.

• On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”

• Click on Hardware and Devices. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok.
    Method 2:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

• Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.

• Right-click on the Disk Drives and click on Properties.

• Go to the Drivers Tab and Click Enable (If not enabled).

• Restart the computer and check.
    Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Dec 9, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Dec 9, 2020
Thema:

1. No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive - Similar Threads - visibility Disk Manager

2. USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today: I have been using a Toshiba USB stick to copy data for transfer to a new PC and it was working fine until today. Now it's not visible in File Explorer. Earlier it was visible in Device Manager and I read that if I uninstalled it there and restarted my PC it should then be...
  3. USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today: I have been using a Toshiba USB stick to copy data for transfer to a new PC and it was working fine until today. Now it's not visible in File Explorer. Earlier it was visible in Device Manager and I read that if I uninstalled it there and restarted my PC it should then be...
  4. USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Unallocated space is not visible in Disk Management

Unallocated space is not visible in Disk Management: Hi, So I shrunk my F: drive volume by 30000MB, and after shrinking it, it was not visible as unallocated space. At this point, my F: Drive's space decreased 30GB, yet the unallocated space wasn't visible on Disk Management. Thus, I tried to shrink it again, but the same...
  6. Disk Management partitions not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Management partitions not visible: I've never seen this before and can't seem to find any similar situations online. Trying to add a new SSD drive for additional storage, not Windows C drive. Disk Managment visual representation of partitions is greyed out/ greened out for some reason? I've restarted and all...
  7. USB drive not appearing in This PC but visible in Disk Management

in Windows 10 News
    USB drive not appearing in This PC but visible in Disk Management: [ATTACH]If your USB drive is not appearing in This PC, but it is visible in the Disk Management panel in Windows 10, then this post […] This post USB drive not appearing in This PC but visible in Disk Management is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Disk management shows no media for usb drive

Disk management shows no media for usb drive: I just got a new usb drive, plugged it into my computer, and tried formatting it to ntfs. I got an error that said something like "formatting is taking too long; disk could not be formatted" but i dont remember exactly what it said. now whenever i plug in the drive, it shows...
  9. Harddrive visible in device manager, not in disk manager

Harddrive visible in device manager, not in disk manager: Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help! I installed a new additional hard drive into my computer. I used the right sata drive and plugged in the power. The BIOS shows it under disk drives. Device manager shows it listed, but not named. When I go to the disk manager to...
  10. Usb drive appears in disk management when no usb drive exists

Usb drive appears in disk management when no usb drive exists: In disk management I have disk 4 has removeable drive and the icons appears in desktop. I can eject this and the icon disappears & is removed from disk management but when I restart the PC the disk & icon re-appear although I have no usb sticks inserted in the machine. 71493