Windows 10: No volume at all, little red x on speaker sign in taskbar

Discus and support No volume at all, little red x on speaker sign in taskbar in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all For some reason there is no audio playing from my laptop. I have no idea what is wrong. There is a little red x on the sound icon in the task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamesPatrickSA, Oct 12, 2018.

1. No volume at all, little red x on speaker sign in taskbar

Hi all

For some reason there is no audio playing from my laptop. I have no idea what is wrong. There is a little red x on the sound icon in the task bar. Troubleshooting doesn't help and updating any drivers doesn't help. there seems to be no devices in playback options other than my headphones which only play from Bluetooth and not from the auxiliary input. I am worried that I am missing a driver or something but I have no idea which one. It's like the option to even have sound coming out of my laptop speakers or headphones just isn't there anymore.This happened after a windows update. I am at my whits end and I am very frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

JamesPatrickSA, Oct 12, 2018

2. Red X by my speaker icon.

Red X by my speaker icon. Message says "No Audio Output Device Installed" but the speakers are plugged in and work fine. I checked them on another computer.

Danny Yarbrough, Oct 12, 2018
  3. IT Guy Viki, Oct 12, 2018
  4. No volume at all, little red x on speaker sign in taskbar

Volumes for headphones and speakers are separate

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the below:

1. Are you changing the volume on headphone or from the sound icon in the taskbar of the system?

2. How are you trying to change the speaker volume?

I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Also try to download and install the latest chipset and Sound drivers from the manufacturer website and install the same.

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

No volume at all, little red x on speaker sign in taskbar

1. No volume at all, little red x on speaker sign in taskbar - Similar Threads - volume little red

2. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X In My Lower Left Side Of My Computer Screen .I Can't Get Rid Of It By Right Clicking The Mouse Go Right Through It .Is There A Way To Remove It ?...
  3. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X Above The Windows Search Box How Do I Get Rid Of It ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-with-red-x/5fee0f10-4bb1-4d90-9746-e25825a6dab7
  4. No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume: Hello Everyone, about 80% of domain joined computers have gotten the Red x. After troubleshooting we found a quick fix rather then imaging the whole computer. The fix was going to Registry Editor as admin and following this path...
  5. No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume: Hello Everyone, about 80% of domain joined computers have gotten the Red x. After troubleshooting we found a quick fix rather then imaging the whole computer. The fix was going to Registry Editor as admin and following this path...
  6. No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Red X on speaker icon

Red X on speaker icon: I had downloaded a few optional updates from settings, and the next thing I see is that there is a red X on my sound icon, its happened to me many times before, for me the solution is to reset your computer, its now the 4th time that I've been resetting my PC now. I've...
  8. little boxes with red X's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    little boxes with red X's: I seem to be getting frequent little boxes with a red X in documents emailed and/or opened. What's the fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/little-boxes-with-red-xs/811bedfa-5e3a-4cce-aa5f-53dd97888815
  9. little boxes with red X's

little boxes with red X's: I seem to be getting frequent little boxes with a red X in documents emailed and/or opened. What's the fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/little-boxes-with-red-xs/811bedfa-5e3a-4cce-aa5f-53dd97888815
  10. Red X over speakers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Red X over speakers: So recently I was using my laptop and suddenly found that I have no sound. Yes I've went in and uninstalled and reinstalled the main program I have the sound run on. I also restarted my laptop 3 times and nothing works....