Windows 10: No way of having a shortcut to open a selected folder in a new window?

Discus and support No way of having a shortcut to open a selected folder in a new window? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I guess this subject has already been discussed, but I was not able to find any clear answers. I already know we can assign keyboard shortcuts to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Harmand, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Harmand Win User

No way of having a shortcut to open a selected folder in a new window?

I guess this subject has already been discussed, but I was not able to find any clear answers.
    I already know we can assign keyboard shortcuts to desktop links, so that they directly open certain programs, folders or files. That's actually the (limited) goal of many online "guides" and "tutorials" who generally claim to teach you how to create "customized keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10".

However, my (maybe wrong) interpretation of such a sentence is different, because reading it I think about assigning shortcuts to single commands, such as, for example, Windows Explorer commands ("Rename", "Edit", "Open in a new window" ...).
    In particular I'm interested in the latter, as quite often I need to open a selected folder in a separate window. Quite often but not always, so the "trick" of changing the default folder opening behaviour (also very easy to find online) does not interest me.

What I'd like is just to assign a shortcut (keyboard or keyboard + mouse) to the very "Open in a new window" command. I also know the CTRL+N combination can be used to open a new window, but that again is not what I' m looking for, as it seems to "work" (indirectly) only when you select a folder in the left side of W.Explorer window.

I guess Windows developers think such a feature would be useless to most users.
    Anyway, since hope dies... penultimate, I'm still hoping to find some definitive answer:
    is there any way (even a difficult one), in Windows 10, to achieve such a result?

:)

Harmand, Feb 17, 2019
  2. Jacko28 Win User

Opening a Folder in VC++

I've recently started learning VC++ and it's coming along quite nicley, I've now been given a little task by my boss to add a button to an excisting Incident report program.

All the button needs to do is open a new explorer window and open the folder selected in the incident report program. There isn't a deadline for it, it's just to assist in my learning.

I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me, i just need a few suggestions on how to do this so i'm looking in the correct direction?

Thanks

Jacko28, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 17, 2019
  4. KomouPoji Win User

Whenever I open a folder, it opens in new window (Windows 10)

Hi Pratyaksh,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• What changes have you make in the folder options?

• Is the error specific to a folder?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it help.

• Open file explorer, click on view and select options.

• Double-click on options, in the general tab click on Open each folder in the same Window.

• Click apply and ok.
    I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

1. No way of having a shortcut to open a selected folder in a new window? - Similar Threads - having shortcut open

2. Can't select a folder in Missing Shortcut dialog popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select a folder in Missing Shortcut dialog popup: Whenever a shortcut is broken, windows asks you what to do with that shortcut:That's fine and all, and it's easy for me to click browse and find the subfolder I needed and select it, but that just opens the folder to continue browsing, it doesn't actually "select" the folder....
  3. Can't select a folder in Missing Shortcut dialog popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't select a folder in Missing Shortcut dialog popup: Whenever a shortcut is broken, windows asks you what to do with that shortcut:That's fine and all, and it's easy for me to click browse and find the subfolder I needed and select it, but that just opens the folder to continue browsing, it doesn't actually "select" the folder....
  4. Is there a way to select half of the images in a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to select half of the images in a folder: So I have a folder full of images,and it exceeds 56thousands so it would take me an hour of scrolling,so is there a way to select half of it fast? Also I would like them in my phone but the size exceeds 50+gbs and I have ~18thousands images in my phone as well and it s...
  5. Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?: I want to create a shortcut in the "Send to.." folder/menu to copy selected data to the certain folder of my Android 8.1.0 mobile phone connected to PC via USB wire. So the logic of the path is: Phone -> SD memory card -> Folder_name. When i right-clicked on the destination...
  6. Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to the folder on the external device - no way to create?: Dear all, i want to create a shortcut in the "Send to.." folder/menu which will copy selected data to my Android 8.1.0 mobile phone (connected to PC via USB wire). So the logic of the path is: Phone -> SD memory card -> Folder_name. When i right-click on the destination...
  7. Way of opening selected files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Way of opening selected files: Heres my problem, Normally and befeore the problem starst - when I selected some files using CRTL or SHIFT button, and then double click lets say some photo, windows opens only the file i doubleclicked. Now when I select even 20 and more files and doubleclick the last...
  8. Is there a way to open specific folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to open specific folder: I have a thumb drive inserted where I save copies of one accounting file. The thumb drive has multiple folders. Is there a way to automatically open just one of those folders automatically when I click on File Explorer or do I have to see all the contents and pick out the...
  9. New folder with selection Windows 10 Remove

in Windows 10 Customization
    New folder with selection Windows 10 Remove: What's the registry entry of this feature? I want to disable it. 44311
  10. Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?: Hi Folks, After a recent fresh install of Win 10 I have had this issue and a few more: i) When I try to create "New Folder" it opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas? as in pic below. ii) I cannot create new installed Desktop "Short Cuts" - I have taken ownership /...