Windows 10: No Wi-Fi: I can connect thru ethernet cable however wi-fi will not even bring up my...

Discus and support No Wi-Fi: I can connect thru ethernet cable however wi-fi will not even bring up my... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 2 error msgs: (1) - you haven't tried to connect to a network & (2) Bad cable/not connected. The cable/internet co. did shut down the neighborhood to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MT FolferDisc, Oct 16, 2019.

1. No Wi-Fi: I can connect thru ethernet cable however wi-fi will not even bring up my...

2 error msgs: (1) - you haven't tried to connect to a network & (2) Bad cable/not connected. The cable/internet co. did shut down the neighborhood to fix a wire my tv & net for couple hrs. but now clueless. Would appreciate some advice, thanks in advance (I remember disconnecting from my home network but not forgetting it)

:)

MT FolferDisc, Oct 16, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 - Next generation Wi-Fi connectivity

Source: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 | Wi-Fi Alliance

Brink, Oct 16, 2019
  3. lasot Win User
    How to indicate wi-fi connection on taskbar/desktop with ethernet on

Below you can find my original post from 2 days ago. Since I got 0 responses, I don't think it's possible to set WIndows 10 the way I wanted. I've decided to change my question:

Is there a way to see if the computer is connected to a wi-fi network while the ethernet cable is also plugged in, without having to click on the cable network icon on the taskbar? I first wanted to switch the cable icon to the wi-fi one, but as it doesn't seem possible, maybe there is a way to create some indicating icon on the desktop? Running some external program that would display an additional wi-fi icon on the taskbar? Or any other solution?

original post:

Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I've had a Windows 10 desktop computer for several days now. I have two different internet connections (one is through an ethernet cable, and the other one is wireless) and I usually use both of them simultaneously. I play an online game and I need these two connections to be active at the same time. The ethernet connection is my primary one and the wireless one is kind of an "emergency" connection. The ethernet adapter has a priority over the wi-fi adapter (seems to be a default system setting and I want it this way). The ethernet connection sometimes disconnects at random times, so if it happens I just unplug the cable and reconnect through the wireless connection until I see that the first one has reconnected. I can't find any way to achieve the following:

While both connections (ethernet and wi-fi) are active, I want to see the wi-fi network icon on my taskbar, instead of the ethernet icon.

This was perfectly possible on my old laptop with Windows 7, which I was using until I bought the new desktop computer. The ethernet adapter had a priority over the wi-fi, just like now. The ethernet cable was always plugged in and by default, the cable network icon was shown on the taskbar. But when I connected to my wi-fi network at the same time, the icon changed to the wi-fi symbol. Both connections were working properly and the transfer was through the ethernet connection, although the wi-fi icon was shown as long as the wireless connection was active. It was much more comfortable for me that way, because I didn't have to make sure that the computer was properly connected via wi-fi, just one look at the icon was enough. But on the new computer, the ethernet icon is displayed even with a wi-fi connection active. It only switches to the wi-fi icon when I unplug the ethernet cable, but ethernet is my primary connection, so I don't wanna do that.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help me set my new computer up in a similar way. Here is some additional information:

I know that in Windows 7, by default, wireless connections had priority over ethernet, so I had to manually change the metrics (I hope it's called that way in English) of my network adapters in my old laptop to give priority to the wired connection. In Windows 10, as it seems, wired connections are prioritized, so I didn't have to change the metrics of the adapters.

The WIN7 laptop I used before had a built-in wi-fi adapter, but my new desktop doesn't have one. I bought a TP Link USB wi-fi adapter which was installed automatically and the connection is working properly. But maybe the fact that it's not a built-in adapter matters? Or perhaps it could be a question of the adapter's drivers? I'm not an expert, but I think it's more likely caused by the system itself than by the drivers or the hardware.

Is anybody able to get what I want to get (a wi-fi icon displayed on the taskbar with both ethernet and wi-fi connections active) with a built-in wi-fi adapter?

lasot, Oct 16, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

No Wi-Fi: I can connect thru ethernet cable however wi-fi will not even bring up my...

Wi-Fi Alliance Celebrates 15 Years of Wi-Fi

This year, Wi-Fi Alliance celebrates 15 years of connecting people and improving everyday lives with Wi-Fi. Interoperability, ease of use, and innovation have made Wi-Fi one of the greatest success stories of the last century, and Wi-Fi Alliance has an extensive roadmap to carry the technology well into the future. Since its founding in 1999, the industry organization has been delivering on its vision of seamless connectivity -- evolving its technologies and certification programs to keep pace with the requirements of today's connected world.

Founded by six companies to develop and validate multi-vendor interoperability, Wi-Fi Alliance has grown into an organization of nearly 650 companies and a driving force in Wi-Fi's ascent to one of the world's most-loved and widely used technologies. With billions of devices in use today, Wi-Fi exemplifies the value of industry-wide standards and multi-vendor collaboration to support technology adoption.

No Wi-Fi:  I can connect thru ethernet cable however wi-fi will not even bring up my... 35a_thm.jpg

"Wi-Fi Alliance nurtures a unique environment where our industry comes together to collaborate on interoperability, and to advance Wi-Fi into new market segments and applications," said Edgar Figueroa, president and CEO of Wi-Fi Alliance. "Healthy debate and effective collaboration are Wi-Fi Alliance hallmarks that ultimately result in solutions that positively impact the economy, business strategy, and people's quality of life."

"No other technology organization has been more successful than Wi-Fi Alliance in driving industry collaboration for the benefit of users," said Craig Mathias, Principal of Farpoint Group. "The essential ubiquity of Wi-Fi is a key result of the work of the Alliance and its members."

A passion for great technology
    Wi-Fi's evolution since 1999 has been marked by continued advancement and a commitment to legacy interoperability. Far from the original 11 Mbps data rate offered in the first Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products, today's most advanced Wi-Fi devices can deliver as much as 1 Gbps of data rate when communicating with other current-generation technology, and can also connect to legacy devices -- preserving value for users over the long term. Just a few years after its proliferation in laptops and access points, and propelled by Wi-Fi Alliance technologies addressing ease of use and quality of service, Wi-Fi proliferated in smartphones and consumer electronics. Device-to-device connectivity was introduced with Wi-Fi Direct, easy-to-use display with Miracast, and seamless access to Wi-Fi hotspots with Passpoint.

At the core of market growth
    Today, Wi-Fi is in broad use in homes, enterprises, public spaces and hotspots. Fifteen years since its origin, the numbers are testament to the technology's value:
    • More than 22,000 products have been Wi-Fi CERTIFIED, including more than 4,000 phones and tablets, 6,000 access points, 1,100 printers, and 3,500 televisions
    • Consumer demand for Wi-Fi has continued to grow, with sales figures of about two billion Wi-Fi devices sold in 2013 alone and a forecast exceeding four billion in 20202
    • Wi-Fi is used in 25 percent of homes around the world.
    "Many of the most popular cultural trends and technologies from the last 15 years got their start and maintained their popularity because of Wi-Fi," said Kevin Fitchard, Senior Writer at Gigaom. "Wi-Fi has not only been a source of tremendous capacity, but also an incredible driver of innovation." Academic research indicates that the combination of Wi-Fi data offload and the benefits of Wi-Fi-enabled homes created more than US $48 billion in economic surplus in the United States alone.

An exciting future
    "Wi-Fi has significantly improved the lives of people and societies all over the world over the last 15 years, but we are just getting started," said Greg Ennis, Vice President of Technology for Wi-Fi Alliance. "Wi-Fi and other technologies from Wi-Fi Alliance will be front and center for many years to come, connecting people and things in ways we can only imagine today."

The Wi-Fi Alliance roadmap features a number of key elements that will support the proliferation of the organization's certified technologies into a number of new segments and applications.
    • New frequency bands will deliver just the right kind of connection. WiGig CERTIFIED will deliver interoperable products supporting multiple-gigabit data rates for room-range connectivity in 60 GHz in 2016. Wi-Fi Alliance has also begun work to define certification programs based on 802.11ah and 802.11af, for operation below 1 GHz to support longer-range, very-low-power connectivity.
    • Wi-Fi will connect new types of devices to each other and the internet. With the Internet of Everything emerging as the next major wave of connected innovation, Wi-Fi's reach will extend into the smart home, connected cars, sensing and control networks, and much more. Already the technology of choice for its long-lived compatibility and robust security, advances in power management, ease of use, and common foundations for service discovery and enablement are setting the stage for massive growth of the Wi-Fi Internet of Everything.
    • Core Wi-Fi technologies will continue to advance. The Wi-Fi that consumers and enterprises have come to rely on every day keeps getting better. Wi-Fi Alliance members are bringing new power saving mechanisms to Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products, improving the mobility experience, and much more. An update to Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac, the most advanced Wi-Fi available, will validate interoperability of several performance-enhancing features in late 2015.

btarunr, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

No Wi-Fi: I can connect thru ethernet cable however wi-fi will not even bring up my...

1. No Wi-Fi: I can connect thru ethernet cable however wi-fi will not even bring up my... - Similar Threads - connect thru ethernet

2. I can not connect to Wi-Fi.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not connect to Wi-Fi.: My Acer Aspire quit connecting to Wi-Fi . Bluetooth. What have I done? Everything else connects. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-connect-to-wi-fi/3a21a6ae-3a7d-4184-921f-932914eb11b4
  3. I can not connect to Wi-Fi.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not connect to Wi-Fi.: My Acer Aspire quit connecting to Wi-Fi . Bluetooth. What have I done? Everything else connects. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-connect-to-wi-fi/3a21a6ae-3a7d-4184-921f-932914eb11b4
  4. WI FI not Detected or Cant connect to WI FI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WI FI not Detected or Cant connect to WI FI: hi im sorry if my english are bad its not my first languageso recently i have this problem with my home wifi where if im conneted to my home wifi it disconneted by it self when i try to use it or its not detected by my laptop at all.t his only happen with my home wifi i can...
  5. Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?

Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?: Hi all, Newbie here. After new PC arrived and was through all the setup, I ended up with an ethernet connection that appears to be named after one of my Wi-Fi connections. Everything works fine, but I would like to know how to fix/change this. Attaching a pic. Red arrow...
  6. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  7. No wi-fi/ethernet cable connection

No wi-fi/ethernet cable connection: Hello, since around 2PM today May, 2nd I have been unable to connect to my home wi-fi or directly use the ethernet cable it has in order to access the internet on my laptop using my work laptop to write this. My laptop is an ASUS TUF gaming fx705DU with Windows 10 Pro, if...
  8. Wi-Fi Alliance brings Wi-Fi 6 into 6 GHz as Wi-Fi 6E

in Windows 10 News
    Wi-Fi Alliance brings Wi-Fi 6 into 6 GHz as Wi-Fi 6E: Wi-Fi 6E will rapidly deliver benefits in 6 GHz once available Wi-Fi Alliance® is introducing new terminology to distinguish forthcoming Wi-Fi 6 devices that are capable of 6 GHz operation, an important portion of unlicensed spectrum that may soon be made available by...
  9. Wi Fi connections

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi Fi connections: My laptop connection to the WIFI hub disconnects when I connect an HP 1200 printer and vice versa. I can only use one or the other at one time. It was working fine until today and not sure what might have changed....
  10. Wi-Fi Connectivity

Wi-Fi Connectivity: After Windows 10 upgrade on my HP P7-1420t I lost my ability to connect to Wi-Fi. Network Adapters listed in Device Manager: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Wan Miniports - IKEv2, IP, IPv6, L2TP, PPPOE, PPTP, SSTP and Network Monitor. Any help in regaining my Wi-Fi...