Windows 10: No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store

Discus and support No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft revealed earlier this month that the Microsoft Store in the company's Windows 11 operating system would add support for Win32 applications... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 29, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store

Microsoft revealed earlier this month that the Microsoft Store in the company's Windows 11 operating system would add support for Win32 applications among other things. The Windows 10 store supports UWP applications only, one reason for it being a ghost town since introduction in Windows 10 in 2015.

Not everything is bad when it comes to the Microsoft Store. Apps that get installed may be updated automatically, just like apps on Android or iOS devices do. The relaxing of Store submission guidelines, the acceptance of Win32 applications, was seen by many as a way to revive the store.

Not all users would use the Store, even if Win32 applications were offered in the Store, but the ability to download virus-tested programs such as Firefox or Adobe Photoshop directly from the Store certainly appeals to some users.

The latest update to the App Developer Agreement puts a damper on the support of Win32 applications in Microsoft's Windows 11 Store.

No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store [​IMG]

Special requirements for Win32 applications are listed on page 32 of the agreement under EXHIBIT E: TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR WIN32 APP PACKAGES. Microsoft describes the following requirements when it comes to updates for Win32 applications:

Updates to Apps. Section 3(b) of the Agreement is amended and restated to read as follows: Updates to Apps are not required to be submitted through the Store. End users will not be able to receive updates from the Store. Apps can be updated directly by You via your App that is installed on a Windows Device after download from the Store.

This means, that Win32 applications won't be updated through Microsoft's Store. Developers may publish new versions, but updates won't happen through the Store. Microsoft notes that applications can be updated through in-app updates. Not all Win32 applications support in-application updates.

The only benefit of downloading a Win32 application from Microsoft's Store is that the executable files have been tested for viruses.

Does it mean that some Win32 applications, those without internal update functionality, will become out of date and in the event of security updates, insecure? Has Microsoft a plan to address this? What happens if a developer publishes an update of a win32 application to the Store? Will users be informed about these updates and get options to install the new copy of the application to replace the old? Or do they have to do this manually for each installed application? Lots of questions and no answers at this point.

Closing Words

Updates were one of the key reasons for installing Store versions of Win32 applications. With that gone, there is barely anything left that can be seen as an advantage over downloading programs from developer websites or even third-party download sites.

Now You: What do you think is Microsoft's reasoning for blocking Win32 program updates through the Microsoft Store? (via Dr. Windows)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 29, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Building a new, open Microsoft Store on Windows 11

Source: Building a new, open Microsoft Store on Windows 11 | Windows Experience Blog

Why not check out our new Windows 11 Forum? - www.elevenforum.com

Tenforo, Jun 29, 2021
  3. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Jun 29, 2021
  4. No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store

WMPlayer win32 error

List the EXACT "blah, blah" you mention, here please... for ALL installation cases!

(Sound like a possible "DLL-Hell" issue, but "Windows File Protection" &/or "System File Protection" should have countered for this... no biggie, there's ways around that too!)

*Smile No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store :)

* I have to 'step-out' now, but imo, this is the track to pursue here, & we will when I get back... so, please list that data I request!

APK

Alec§taar, Jun 29, 2021
Thema:

No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store

1. No Win32 Updates in Windows 11's Microsoft Store - Similar Threads - Win32 Updates 11's

2. Microsoft Store and S mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store and S mode: My laptop is currently in S mode and the Microsoft store is missing. I've tried numerous things and video suggestions and updating. I've spent hours trying to solve this problem and for some unknown reason power shell isn't even opening. Please if anyone has any advice or...
  3. Microsoft Store and S mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store and S mode: My laptop is currently in S mode and the Microsoft store is missing. I've tried numerous things and video suggestions and updating. I've spent hours trying to solve this problem and for some unknown reason power shell isn't even opening. Please if anyone has any advice or...
  4. Microsoft store and S mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft store and S mode: I reset my laptop because it was starting to get beyond slow and when I restarted it, the first thing I tried to do was reinstall Chrome. It told me that I have to turn off S Mode to install it so I went to do that but when I clicked go to the store and it said "You'll need a...
  5. Where is the search function in Windows 11's Microsoft Store app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the search function in Windows 11's Microsoft Store app?: I don't know if I overlook it, but I don't seem to find the search function in the Microsoft Store. Where is it hidden? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-search-function-in-windows-11s/b1ab3683-8485-40a3-9fa1-16364ec340d2
  6. Where is the search function in Windows 11's Microsoft Store app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is the search function in Windows 11's Microsoft Store app?: I don't know if I overlook it, but I don't seem to find the search function in the Microsoft Store. Where is it hidden? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-search-function-in-windows-11s/b1ab3683-8485-40a3-9fa1-16364ec340d2
  7. Can win32 app be published in Microsoft store?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can win32 app be published in Microsoft store?: Hello everybody,I found here a community post of 2020 that states win32 app should be packaged through UUP bridge to publish in the store.Is there any policy change regarding win32 app publishing in recent times? Is it possible now to publish non-packaged desktop app?...
  8. Win32 apps in the Microsoft Store?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Win32 apps in the Microsoft Store?: Hello everybody, in the last month it was repeatedly in the media, that Microsoft will not only allow UWP but also win32 apps like games in the Microsoft Store. Does this currently still "only" concern apps which have been converted to UWP apps using deskop bridge or can now...
  9. Microsoft Store and S mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Store and S mode: I just received a brand new laptop, and I'm already having issues. So I'm in windows 10 home in S mode at the moment, and if I attempt to disable S mode by any means, the windows store just comes up with a white screen. The windows store itself works perfectly fine, it just...
  10. Microsoft is adding support for Win32 programs to Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is adding support for Win32 programs to Windows 10 Store: Microsoft’s UWP apps may not have been a game-changer for Windows 10 ecosystem, but the Universal Windows Apps have contributed to the growth of Microsoft Store where the apps are purchased, especially the games on Xbox One. UWP APIs have allowed developers to make apps and...