Windows 10: non-C drive HDD prevents start-up

Discus and support non-C drive HDD prevents start-up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; At a loss. I cloned the C Drive, moved it to SSD ; moved files on the original 1TB HDD now D into a folder until I was sure of the SSD. Worked great... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Paul_OOS, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Paul_OOS Win User

non-C drive HDD prevents start-up

At a loss. I cloned the C Drive, moved it to SSD ; moved files on the original 1TB HDD now D into a folder until I was sure of the SSD. Worked great for ~10 start-ups. Then - boot fails, 'Preparing Automatic Repair'... can only exit via shut down. If I disconnect the HDD - start-up no problem. Disk Mgmt can't see the HDD, but I can see it in BIOS, and DPS =zero errors. What's happening at boot such that the old HDD blocks?How can I see and reformat the old HDD?...Paul

:)

Paul_OOS, Sep 20, 2021
  2. little cat, Sep 20, 2021
  3. How to copy and replace failing c drive to new HDD in windows 10

Thank you very much for your time to send me all the info!

May I ask the following steps below is what I need to do?

1. make clone HDD from current c drive

2. replace the failing c HDD with New cloned HDD

3.Start computer and then run just like before?

Thank you, Yusuke

Yusuke Sato, Sep 20, 2021
  4. non-C drive HDD prevents start-up

HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Sep 20, 2021
Thema:

non-C drive HDD prevents start-up

1. non-C drive HDD prevents start-up - Similar Threads - non drive HDD

2. Prevent other C: from seeing drives.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent other C: from seeing drives.: I have two windows boot drives. I want one to not be able to see the other. For example my C: shows the other boot drive as D:. How do I stop windows from reading the other one but still have it be bootable from bios. I don’t want windows to be able to read it at all....
  3. c drive repairs on every start up, amoung other start up problems.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    c drive repairs on every start up, amoung other start up problems.: My computer repairs the c drive with every boot. this just started happening, but before this it would often take two tries to boot up properly. The first time it just wouldn't output anything to my monitor. Now it starts up on the first try but it tries to repair the c drive...
  4. c drive repairs on every start up, amoung other start up problems.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    c drive repairs on every start up, amoung other start up problems.: My computer repairs the c drive with every boot. this just started happening, but before this it would often take two tries to boot up properly. The first time it just wouldn't output anything to my monitor. Now it starts up on the first try but it tries to repair the c drive...
  5. c drive repairs on every start up, amoung other start up problems.

6. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  7. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  8. Bitlocker waking up non-encrypted HDD drives every hour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker waking up non-encrypted HDD drives every hour: So I'm running Bitlocker encrypted and non-encrypted HDD disks and have set up disk to sleep after 5 minutes. However, every hour Bitlocker wakes up the disks that are _not_encrypted, apparently to check if they can be encrypted, or something similar. Disks that have all...
  9. Windows 10 non start up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 non start up: Two ago my Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 installed would not start up. Came up with message about needing repair but all fixes would not work. I found a system recovery memory stick that I created when I first bought the computer and managed to get it working but with a...
  10. windows not starting after merging a hdd partition with c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    windows not starting after merging a hdd partition with c drive: as my c drive was full, i tried merging my one of the partition (F) with C using EasyUS partition manager after merging it asked me to reboot system after reboot windows loading logo appeared which was there for an hour so i taken the battery out of my laptop when reinserted...