Windows 10: Non existent USB device is being detected

Discus and support Non existent USB device is being detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I presently have no USB device plugged into my ASUS E510 Laptop. However, the laptop keeps giving me a popup claiming "USB device not recognized". It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jude St. Germaine, May 15, 2021.

1. Non existent USB device is being detected

I presently have no USB device plugged into my ASUS E510 Laptop. However, the laptop keeps giving me a popup claiming "USB device not recognized". It is almost behaving as if I am rapidly plugging in, and taking out a USB device, as it chimes both the plug in and unplug chime. As a musician who uses this laptop for musical purposes this is starting to really piss me off. Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated.

:)

Jude St. Germaine, May 15, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Activity Reporting error non-existent device

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that a non-existent device is showing in the activity reporting. As you have mentioned that you have removed the device from Manage device limits for all family accounts, I suggest you to try removing the device from the child account
    and check if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to
      https://login.live.com
      with the child account.
    2. Click on Devices.
    3. Click on show details for the device that is non-existing.
    4. Click on More actions.
    5. Click on Remove PC.
    6. Click on I’m ready to remove this PC and click on
      Remove.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 15, 2021
  3. How to remove non-existent device permanently?

Hi,

The drivers for your Touchpad is still installed in your PC that's why the device keeps reappearing. You may need to uninstall Touchpad in Device Manager. But since it doesn't appear in Device Manager, we suggest checking the hidden devices. Please follow
    the troubleshooting steps shared by Vikrant Yadav on this
    link

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 15, 2021
  4. Non existent USB device is being detected

Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, May 15, 2021
Thema:

Non existent USB device is being detected

1. Non existent USB device is being detected - Similar Threads - Non existent USB

2. USB Headset not being detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Headset not being detected: Hi, I have some Amazon USB Headset but when I plug it in it isn’t detected. The light on the headset doesn’t turn on. I purchased the same ones as I thought it was the headphones but they still don’t work. The USB ports work with other things too. It just stopped working...
  3. USB Headset not being detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Headset not being detected: Hi, I have some Amazon USB Headset but when I plug it in it isn’t detected. The light on the headset doesn’t turn on. I purchased the same ones as I thought it was the headphones but they still don’t work. The USB ports work with other things too. It just stopped working...
  4. Audio device being detected that doesn't exist

Audio device being detected that doesn't exist: As title says. Windows 10 is detecting an audio device that does not exist and has never existed on my PC. How do I resolve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-device-being-detected-that-doesnt-exist/3281cf65-907d-4f76-a986-178cc9484b4f
  5. Audio device being detected that doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio device being detected that doesn't exist: As title says. Windows 10 is detecting an audio device that does not exist and has never existed on my PC. How do I resolve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-device-being-detected-that-doesnt-exist/3281cf65-907d-4f76-a986-178cc9484b4f
  6. Audio device being detected that doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Defender constantly detects 2 threats in a non-existent drive and a non-existent folder in...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender constantly detects 2 threats in a non-existent drive and a non-existent folder in...: My father's laptop ceased to work recently, so he connected one of his drives to my PC, and also copied over a folder of his to my G: drive. However, now things are back to normal again, and he has also deleted the folder he copied over. Days after that, Defender still...
  8. Device not being detected?

Device not being detected?: I recently bought a new headset with a mic. The headset has a 3.5mm jack and a usb connector powering a mic. The problem is windows 10 not detecting anything when I plug in the usb, and the mic isn't registered as a device at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling...
  9. usb printers not being detected

usb printers not being detected: Hi, I have a new HP pc upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and it does not detect the usb printers plug into it. I've tried 2 hp printers with it. All the other usb devices connected do work. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe 97155
  10. Non-Existent memory being used

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Non-Existent memory being used: Okay, Well windows 10 is giving me crap. I have two memory slots, 1 is being used. It tells me that i'm using, like 2.0 GB out of 1.6GB. What? I disabled page-file for much faster speed, and it worked. But i'm not even using 1GB in memory, even when i plus all the memory used...