Windows 10: non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update

Discus and support non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I assume Windows 10 downloaded an update yesterday because today I cannot open Windows explorer, or Cortana or Task View on the taskbar. Windows key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JenniferJ_888, Apr 15, 2019.

1. non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update

I assume Windows 10 downloaded an update yesterday because today I cannot open Windows explorer, or Cortana or Task View on the taskbar. Windows key not working but I never use it anyway. Cannot get to 'settings' due to non functioning start menu button on desktop. Would like to uninstall latest update but as button is not functioning any more, there is nothing I can do - can't get to 'settings' - I can't even open 2 folders at once. Please help me undo this new mess and get back to having a functional computer..

:)

JenniferJ_888, Apr 15, 2019
  2. Darknova Win User

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Apr 15, 2019
  4. psyko12 Win User

non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Hey guys I need your help fixing the default access icon on the start menu, as far as google searches suggested default user access and all it only fixes the IE icon, but when I chose fire fox to display it's just a globe when clicked on it still displays IE's properties but doesn't start firefox instead. Help please? *Respect :respect:*Cry :cry:

BTW it was not like this before, I just wanted a clean install for my browser.

non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update prob.jpg

psyko12, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update

1. non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update - Similar Threads - non functioning start

2. Glitchy icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Glitchy icons: Please help, this has been happening for a while. A few ideas of it happening would be changing my main Users folder name to what i want, properly, by changing almost every key in the registry to what i want as well (using a different admin account). The OS works just fine,...
  3. Start menu not functioning

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not functioning: I recently built a new PC and installed windows 10 on it. However, whenever the windows key or logo in the bottom left of the screen is clicked, the search bar disappears and nothing else happens....
  4. 2020! Edge icon missing, Start menu not functioning.

2020! Edge icon missing, Start menu not functioning.: Click START = Search bar disappears for a moment I have tried all the "fixes" listed for the since 2015 no luck. powershell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  5. After update, start menu and win+i not functional.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After update, start menu and win+i not functional.: After installing the most recent update to win 10, I noticed that my task bar was stuck on top of games. Further investigation showed me it's far deeper than just that. The start menu will not open on click. the notifications tab on the taskbar will also not open. I tried...
  6. Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning

Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning: Please help, taskbar icons (Windows app icons e.g. edge, win store, calculator, win defender, etc.), that includes windows start menu and action center icosns does not function when you click. how to solve. thank you...
  7. Start menu functions

Start menu functions: I'm running latest version of Windows 10. After a recent update the "Search" option in the Start button doesn't work. Also I've discovered that the "Command Prompt" and "Command Prompt (Admin)" don't work. I've looked around to try and reinstall the start menu but without...
  8. Glitchy Icons

Glitchy Icons: Ever since the latest windows update, these Icons have been glitchy. It used to pop up like normal, instead of icons half under the task bar. Any suggestions? [ATTACH]...
  9. Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Non-Functioning Start Menu / Missing taskbar Icons: I seem to remember running across a post here regarding the problem with a non-functioning Start Menu button and missing or non-functioning taskbar icons that indicated this issue had been fixed in the Anniversary Update. Well I don't think so. I was playing with a brand new...
  10. Start Menu not functioning

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not functioning: Hi,Im Fatcat from Asia. Just installed Win 10 Ent. Found out that Start Menu which contains few functions refused to work - every time I click the items, it wont execute...please refer to the image. regards. [img] 22569