Windows 10: Non-maximized windows offset from edges of display

Discus and support Non-maximized windows offset from edges of display in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have two computers running Windows 10. One is a Toshiba C855 running the Home version, and the other is a Dell M6700 Covet running the Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by THEnt, Oct 4, 2019.

1. THEnt Win User

Non-maximized windows offset from edges of display

Hello,

I have two computers running Windows 10. One is a Toshiba C855 running the Home version, and the other is a Dell M6700 Covet running the Pro version.

On both of these computers, I'm having an esthetic problem. Any windows which are not maximized, but which are "supposed" to open in a corner (lower left, upper right, etc.) instead open with an offset from the edge of the display.

I first noticed this when I upgraded the Toshiba to Windows 10 a few years ago, and thought maybe it was just that device. However, I performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro a couple of months ago on the Dell, and I have the exact same issue.

I like to have my Thunderbird open in the lower left corner of my display, and to have Explorer windows open more or less tiled. When I was running Windows 7 on the Dell, ShellFolderFix allowed me to set up my desktop as I wanted it. Now, however, ShellFolderFix only works for a little while. I don't remember whether I ever used that on the Toshiba.

When I set up Thunderbird on the Dell, I set the window location to the lower left corner. When I close, then re-open Thunderbird, Windows 10 offsets the left and bottom edges of the window from the left and bottom edges of the desktop. Similar offsets occur if I "train" Explorer windows to open in corners, regardless of which corner I use. Invariably, when the window is re-opened, if ShellFolderFix is not running, the window is offset a small amount from the edge of the desktop.

This drives me crazy.

Is there some reason this is happening? Can it be fixed?

Interestingly, my Creo window opens in the upper left corner, like it's supposed to. But I didn't tell Creo where it's supposed to open. It's a default location.

Thanks!

Non-maximized windows offset from edges of display [​IMG]

:)

THEnt, Oct 4, 2019

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Microsoft Edge Display

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue is might be related to display drivers.

I suggest you to update your display adapter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + R key on the keyboard.

• Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

• Expand the Display adapter.

• Right click on the driver and select Update driver software.
    For more information, you can also refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/microsoft-edge

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Ruth Buruga, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Non-maximized windows offset from edges of display

WIN10 MAXIMIZE ALL WINDOWS

Hi,

Window sizes are set to Normal by default. You may change the default window size of Windows programs by following the steps below:

• Right-click on the Windows shortcut (Ex. Microsoft Edge)
    • Click on Properties.
    • Click on the Shortcut tab.
    • Locate Run:, and then click the down-arrow to change the selected default window size.
    • Choose Maximized.
    • Click Apply, and then OK.

Feel free to get back to us if you encounter any further issues.

Patricia Yu, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Non-maximized windows offset from edges of display

1. Non-maximized windows offset from edges of display - Similar Threads - Non maximized offset

2. Mouse cursor displayed without offset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor displayed without offset: When the mouse cursor changes to one that should be displayed with an offset e.g., the hand cursor should be displayed slightly to the left so that the tip of the finger matches the mouse position it is not and instead is drawn with the same position as the default...
  3. Mouse cursor displayed without offset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor displayed without offset: When the mouse cursor changes to one that should be displayed with an offset e.g., the hand cursor should be displayed slightly to the left so that the tip of the finger matches the mouse position it is not and instead is drawn with the same position as the default...
  4. 7" monitor displaying an offset desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    7" monitor displaying an offset desktop: The screen shows an offset desktop, I wouldn't know why or how to fix it. i tried reinstalling the GC drivers but it didn't work, and that's the only solution I could find around the usual resources. Any idea? There's obviously no image position fix on the monitor's menu, and...
  5. Maximized Window in Display 1 is overlapping into Display 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Maximized Window in Display 1 is overlapping into Display 2: Whenever I maximize a window on Display 1, it overlaps as a white bar into display 2. I have attempted adjusting the displays and updating my GPU to no effect. What should I do to remediate this issue? Here's a picture without a window maximized: [IMG] Here's a picture...
  6. desktop display offset to right

desktop display offset to right: Not sure how I did this, but my desktop display is offset to the right about an inch or so and I cannot see entire layout. Any idea how I shift the desktop back to the left so that it is properly aligned?...
  7. Is it possible to get rounded corners on non-maximized windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to get rounded corners on non-maximized windows?: Title. I personally thought the upcoming MacOS UI changes were pretty good and while I know rounded corners are not for everyone, I'd still like to try it. Are there any third-party programs to get rounded corners on windows for Windows 10? submitted by /u/BananaSloots...
  8. Full screen mode in non-maximized window

Full screen mode in non-maximized window: I have limited screen space while working from home. I use four-way screen split in my laptop, and I am mostly using reading, typing, browsing and note taking apps. The toolbars above the app like tabs in chrome + search bar + bookmarks bar take too much real-estate in that...
  9. Edge A "Non-starter"

in Browsers and Email
    Edge A "Non-starter": Frustration is a mild word for what I'm dealing with! Upgraded from W7 but Edge cannot access the web or even search the web as Start Menu does not recognise that I'm actually connected. Error code 0x80072EFD when trying to access the store as well. Most of the Metro apps...
  10. Edge opens new window maximized

in Browsers and Email
    Edge opens new window maximized: I've installed the new anniversary update, and with Edge now supporting extensions, I'm going to give it a try. But there is a showstopper for me. I don't normally use tabs when browsing - I rather open new windows. Clicking Ctrl+N to open a new window works fine, but the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows new windows offset