Windows 10: Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar

Discus and support Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a new Surface Pro 8 running Windows 11. When I pin a non-Microsoft application such as Google Chrome to the task bar, the correct application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by David at DRA, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar

I have a new Surface Pro 8 running Windows 11. When I pin a non-Microsoft application such as Google Chrome to the task bar, the correct application icon is not shown, but rather a "generic" icon a blue box inside a white box. The correct application name is displayed when I hover over the icon. The correct application icon is also displayed in the Start Menu. This makes it tedious to find the correct applications. How does one display the correct application icons for those that are not Microsoft?

:)

David at DRA, Oct 13, 2021
  2. jackin Win User

How to fix taskbar showing generic blank icons on Windows 7 professional?

How to fix taskbar showing generic blank icons on Windows 7 professional?

Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar 67d2b65a-a526-42eb-baec-6b5480451d19?upload=true.jpg

These icons correspond to Windows Explorer, IE and Office 365 programs.

Steps i took to resolve issue, but did not help are:

1. In order to fix generic blank icon issue on taskbar i killed explorer.exe and restarted it but this did not resolve issue.
    2. Ran quick repair on Office 365 & restarted Windows.

jackin, Oct 13, 2021
  3. Application Icons not showing in Windows 10 Taskbar

I have noticed, that following a recent Windows 10 update, my taskbar no longer shows any pinned application icons like, for example, Windows Media, Microsoft Store, and also when I open an application, for example Microsoft Edge, this does not appear in
    the taskbar either.

Also I am not able to pin to the taskbar any application icons now.

The taskbar shows Cortana and other icons like date and time, but no Application Icons.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Millner, Oct 13, 2021
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 13, 2021
Thema:

Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar

1. Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar - Similar Threads - Non Microsoft Applications

2. Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic: New installation. After synching user's OneDrive, icons pinned to the taskbar are all the same generic default icons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-taskbar-icons-rendering-generic/48c14544-7e51-483f-9695-501dad8a9f5d
  3. Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar icons rendering generic: New installation. After synching user's OneDrive, icons pinned to the taskbar are all the same generic default icons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-taskbar-icons-rendering-generic/48c14544-7e51-483f-9695-501dad8a9f5d
  4. Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon: Hi there, I've noticed that my Taskbar icons more frequently revert to a generic one, rather than the actual app's icon. Here's what I mean: Seems like only Microsoft product icons are working as intended, even then Visual Studio isn't appearing correctly either. The issue...
  5. Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon

Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon: Hi there, I've noticed that my Taskbar icons more frequently revert to a generic one, rather than the actual app's icon. Here's what I mean: Seems like only Microsoft product icons are working as intended, even then Visual Studio isn't appearing correctly either. The issue...
  6. Windows 11 Taskbar Icons getting rendered generically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Taskbar Icons getting rendered generically: Hello Together,im starting to get pretty frustrated with this topic here. At least its easy to describe. I just got a new laptop from my organization and started to set it up.From one to the other moment some most 3rd party software icons started getting rendered like this,...
  7. Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.: This is what I'm seeing on my task bar:Most of the icons for my programs are showing some type of generic icon like the one circled in yellow. This happened randomly. How do I get the proper icons to display?...
  8. Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.

Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.: This is what I'm seeing on my task bar:Most of the icons for my programs are showing some type of generic icon like the one circled in yellow. This happened randomly. How do I get the proper icons to display?...
  9. Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Non-Microsoft Applications Show a Generic Icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar: I have a new Surface Pro 8 running Windows 11. When I pin a non-Microsoft application such as Google Chrome to the task bar, the correct application icon is not shown, but rather a "generic" icon a blue box inside a white box. The correct application name is displayed when I...
  10. generic application icons in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    generic application icons in taskbar: Hi, just two days ago I did a fresh installation of windows 10 v. 1809 and reinstalled all the applications that I use on a regular basis. I've run in to a strange issue where some of the icons in the task bar appear as generic icons as you can see in the screenshot. The...