Windows 10: Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer

Discus and support Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In some previous build (earlier builds of 1809 worked) I was able to see thumbnails for JPGs and PNGs at even the smallest icon sizes in File Explorer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David H SN, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer

In some previous build (earlier builds of 1809 worked) I was able to see thumbnails for JPGs and PNGs at even the smallest icon sizes in File Explorer. Since I updated to the latest 1809, and then subsequently 1903, only perfectly square images show thumbnails. Non-square images now just show a blank white page icon.

As you can see from the attached images, in Details view mode only the square images have thumbnails. This is a massive pain since I often work in Details view but still need to be able to figure out which image is which without having to open or even just click on every one.

Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer 648a93fb-2395-4cc4-8bc6-ebd39dc07133?upload=true.png

Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer 8862f9be-2178-4259-862a-a387a6111b78?upload=true.png

I've asked a question on SuperUser as well: https://superuser.com/q/1481215/623023

:)

David H SN, Sep 10, 2019

2. Is it possible to customize icon size in "details" view in explorer?

An alternative would be to use another view with the details pane expanded; although that gives you details on only the selected folder/file.

Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Is it possible to customize icon size in "details" view in explorer?

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, this does not solve my problem in the "details" view of File Explorer. When in "details" view, CTRL+scroll up once move to "List" view, then to "Small icons", then to bigger sizes for "Small icons", etc. then to "Medium icons", etc. Any CTRL+scroll up or down takes me out of the details view when starting from the details view -- so I cannot have both the bigger icon as well as the details as I said I wanted.

LindyCogito, Sep 10, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer

View thumbnails in file explorer

Hi HaimSny,

Open Windows File Explorer

Open a folder of Photos

On the View Ribbon (tab) choose small, medium, or large icons in the Layout Section

Then at the end of the View Ribbon (tab) click 'Options'

On that Dialog, click on the View Tab

Uncheck the box marked 'Always show icons, never show thumbnails'

At the top of that tab, click 'Apply to folders' and confirm

Then click Apply and OK

That's It!

DaveM121, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer

1. Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Non square images

2. In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...: Hello,In File Explorer, I usually enable the option to "Always show icons, never thumbnails", as I prefer a cleaner look when browsing my files/folders. However, I noticed when I do this, I am unable to see previews of images, such as screenshots .png, in the File Explorer...
  3. In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...: Hello,In File Explorer, I usually enable the option to "Always show icons, never thumbnails", as I prefer a cleaner look when browsing my files/folders. However, I noticed when I do this, I am unable to see previews of images, such as screenshots .png, in the File Explorer...
  4. Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer: I just recently got a new computer and, at first, was able to view the thumbnails for all of my pictures in File Explorer but then, they stopped showing one day. I never made any changes during this time and I can still view the picture when I click on the icons. I also can...
  5. Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10- Not able to view image thumbnails in File Explorer: I just recently got a new computer and, at first, was able to view the thumbnails for all of my pictures in File Explorer but then, they stopped showing one day. I never made any changes during this time and I can still view the picture when I click on the icons. I have...
  6. Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details

in Windows 10 Support
    Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details: Perry Mason in the case of the missing small thumbnail icons... Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details. Although it might appear to you my text here is a copy of the below link to a post at "answers".Microsoft.com by David H, I can assure you it...
  7. Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer

Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer: As of earlier today I noticed that newly downloaded images are not displaying their thumbnails. Went online to look for solutions, looks like a lot of users are having this problem but very few have had offered solutions that aren't completely generic or pulled from a Third...
  8. No image thumbnail in explorer Icons

No image thumbnail in explorer Icons: Image icons shows up as blank dokument, i.e there is no image preview. I have checked that the option "allways show icons, never thumbnail" is not checked. I have used "Cleanmgr" to clean out thumbnails. I have deleted the thumnail cashe. Nothing of this works I have...
  9. Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems viewing thumbnails of raw images in file explorer: I have a custom built PC (don't know if that matters) with:Windows 10 ProVersion 1809Build 17763.864 And I am having troubles viewing image thumbnails in the windows file explorer; specifically of .CR2 files. I can view the thumbnails of .DNG files and all the standard...
  10. Wrong icons showing in Details view

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong icons showing in Details view: I'm seeing incorrect icons displayed under Windows 10 for certain executable files when viewed in Windows 10 Explorer in Details view. If I change the folder view to Thumbnails, the correct icon is shown, but if I switch back to Details view they're still displayed...