Windows 10: Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot

Discus and support Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks I've seen it mentioned on a few 'Nix Forums but never on Windows - but with say older HDD's (spinners) are they liable to Bit Rot. The reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Oct 23, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot

Hi folks
    I've seen it mentioned on a few 'Nix Forums but never on Windows - but with say older HDD's (spinners) are they liable to Bit Rot. The reason I'm asking this is that on discussions of various file systems it appears that some of the newer file systems are resilient against Bit Rot - but I've no idea if NTFS has this (or even needs) this capability.

Does Bit rot actually occur or is this another one of these "Old wives tales" -- I can't say I've ever had any experience of it -- I usually get ample warning if an HDD starts failing (fortunately in my case quite rare) and have ample time to backup and replace.

Just curious if some of the real geeks here - especially those running servers etc have encountered bit rot either in practice or in the "serious literature".

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 23, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    I've seen it mentioned on a few 'Nix Forums but never on Windows - but with say older HDD's (spinners) are they liable to Bit Rot. The reason I'm asking this is that on discussions of various file systems it appears that some of the newer file systems are resilient against Bit Rot - but I've no idea if NTFS has this (or even needs) this capability.

Does Bit rot actually occur or is this another one of these "Old wives tales" -- I can't say I've ever had any experience of it -- I usually get ample warning if an HDD starts failing (fortunately in my case quite rare) and have ample time to backup and replace.

Just curious if some of the real geeks here - especially those running servers etc have encountered bit rot either in practice or in the "serious literature".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 23, 2020
  3. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Bit Rot?

Darn. . .forgot about that one. . .this has to be what his problem is. . .Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot :)

4. Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot

Bit Rot?

Your description reminds me of the old Amiga PCs.
    After using programs for a couple of weeks, various function would stop working and eventually the entire program would become unusable.

Maybe the dreaded "Bit Rot" has returned.

lehnerus2000, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot - Similar Threads - Non SSD's Spinners

2. Ssd non formatable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd non formatable: So I downloaded something and my ssd doesn’t really work. So we’re tryna format my ssd but we can’t because windows only works on safe mode. Any help? It’s a acer predator g3 710...
  3. Ssd non formatable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd non formatable: So I downloaded something and my ssd doesn’t really work. So we’re tryna format my ssd but we can’t because windows only works on safe mode. Any help? It’s a acer predator g3 710...
  4. Ssd non formatable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. The Restart loading spinner disappeared !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Restart loading spinner disappeared !: - i have a problem with the animated loading logo or the loading spinner when the windows restart or shut down, it gone after i did some cmd commands because i was trying to fixing the windows antivirus turned off , and those is the commands that i typed : reg delete...
  6. Spinner in People

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spinner in People: Sorry. Answered my own question by logging in with MS account, then logging back in with local. Can't seem to find out how to delete a thread I started that has no replies yet. 180643
  7. 'Bit Rot' Data Corruption & Mitigation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    'Bit Rot' Data Corruption & Mitigation: I saw mention on a photo forum of people experiencing corruption of photos in long term storage ('bit rot') caused by the slow corruption of files on storage media due to bits randomly flipping from media deterioration. I haven't noticed this myself to date but wonder if...
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. VM - run on SSD or Spinner?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM - run on SSD or Spinner?: Hello, Have a laptop with both SSD and HDD and will be running at least a couple of VMs simultaneously most of the time. Was wondering if for optimal performance - SSD life + Performance of VMs - should it matter if I run these VMs on SSD? or should I run them in...
  10. Crystal Disk Benchmark results on SSD's and Spinners

Crystal Disk Benchmark results on SSD's and Spinners: Just did a quick CrystalDiskMark benchmark on my son's computer. His OS drive is an Intel 600p NVMe drive. [img] His storage drive is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache 7,200RPM spinner (ST2000DM006). [img] Guess the SSD is a tad faster. 78937