Windows 10: Non-system Disk Error during Attempt to Boot Repair Disc

Discus and support Non-system Disk Error during Attempt to Boot Repair Disc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been working out how to restore a saved system image. I've done this more or less annually in Windows 7, and am now attempting to use the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Foster Miller, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Non-system Disk Error during Attempt to Boot Repair Disc

I've been working out how to restore a saved system image. I've done this more or less annually in Windows 7, and am now attempting to use the Windows 10 64-bit Repair Disc I made in Windows 10 to make sure I have a restorable image. When I use the repair disc, I get the "Non-System disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready." message. I have disconnected every non system medium except for the M.2 card, which is buried under a heat sink under two graphics cards on an Asus X299 Prime Deluxe motherboard. I tried disabling boot for the M.2 in the bios, without physically disconnecting the M.2, to test whether the M.2 may be the non-system disk. Also, during these attempts I've tried leaving the USB SSD with the system image disconnected, while booting. Each attempt yielded the non-system disk error.

I am wondering whether it is possible to use the back-up method I am accustomed to, or whether I need to work out a different back-up method.

:)

Foster Miller, Nov 29, 2020
  2. RockyMYN Win User

Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error

Repair Disk won't boot with "Non-System Disk or Disk Error. Replace and press any key when ready."

I have tried two different DVD/ROM drives installed on my Gateway desktop - and three repair disks.

The repair disk is the only way to re-format the C drive before restoring from a system image that I know. The partitions on my system image are different than the current partitions created by re-installing Windows 10 1903.

RockyMYN, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Wisewiz Win User
    New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk)

Fully operational perfectly running OS and Programs on old SSD. Macrium showed successful cloning (verified) to new SSD. Removed old and installed new. Non-system disk error.
    Used W10 ISO CD to get to repair mode. Repair failed.
    Went to CMD prompt (still using ISO disc) and used diskpart. All volumes showed, but all letters wrong. Used diskpart to change all letters and remove letter from small Recovery volume. All letters showed as correct on new SSD (and on second SSD, which was not involved in this switch of new and old System+programs SSDs). Reset BIOS to boot from Disk 0 (new SSD). Boot attempt produced Non-system disk error.
    Used ISO to get back to diskpart. All volumes showed wrong letters again (same ones). Tried again. Repeated startup attempt. Non-system disk error.
    I thought this was going to be easy: Clone old System+data SSD to new SSD, swap out old for new, boot, and the system runs perfectly from the new SSD (which now has a new lease on life). WRONG.
    Please offer suggestions (other than re-install old SSD and carry on until it fails). I love and depend on this forum.

Please take care in this dangerous period of our lives.
    W10 1909

Wisewiz, Nov 29, 2020
  4. RockyMYN Win User

Non-system Disk Error during Attempt to Boot Repair Disc

Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error

Thank you.

I got an SSD drive and installed Windows 10 on it. I was trying to use a system image from the previous instillation so I wouldn't have to re-install all the software. (I have never found good software to migrate the operating system to a new drive. Nothing
    I have tried copies the system partitions and there is no recovery partition.)

I am getting this non-system disk message when I try to boot from a system repair disk. The recovery drive you suggested does work and is a good thing to have. However, when I tried to put the old system image on the new SSD, I am getting the message, "No
    disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found. Try the following . . . ". This might be because the old system image was for a drive that had a storage partition and was a 1 TB drive, where the new SSD does not have that storage partition
    and is only 250 GB.

I have found a workaround using EaseUS Partition Master. After installing Windows on the SSD, the two system partitions are there. I can boot into the old installation on the old drive, then with Partition Master, I can delete the Windows partition on the
    SSD, and clone the old installation to the SSD without touching the two system partitions the new installation created on the SSD.

I hope you understand that.

Having a recovery drive is useful. I don't know why the repair disks are not working. Thank you.

RockyMYN, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

Non-system Disk Error during Attempt to Boot Repair Disc

1. Non-system Disk Error during Attempt to Boot Repair Disc - Similar Threads - Non system Disk

2. System Preparing Repair during boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Preparing Repair during boot up: yesterday night i got a software update and 2 additional updates. One is driver update and second one is firmware update. My synaptics touchpad two finger scrolling is not working so i thought maybe the additional update was for the driver and so i installed it. The laptop...
  3. Attempting corrupted Windows 10 system disk repair.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Attempting corrupted Windows 10 system disk repair.: Hello, The system disk on my windows 10 laptop is a 500 GByte SSD. Recently something happened to corrupt this disk. When I power my computer on, all I see is an underscore cursor in the upper left corner of the display. I believe that much of the disk is ok, as I...
  4. System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Repair Disc: Win10 v.2012 Build 19042.685 Is there other Media than a DVD disc, I can use to prepare such, and of what capacity need it be? 170887
  5. System Repair Disc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System Repair Disc: what type of disc do i need to use to make a system repair disc e.g. CD-R or DVD-RW? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-repair-disc/cae802a8-3358-40a7-99ed-d164cb8f435e
  6. Non-system disk error

Non-system disk error: Hi, I was stuck on the windows 10 recovery blue screen like this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-wont-boot-stuck-on-blue-recovery-screen/084b8ddc-6ace-4581-a5d8-0491748dcb1a So I started to follow the solution that was told...
  7. Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error

Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error: Repair Disk won't boot with "Non-System Disk or Disk Error. Replace and press any key when ready." I have tried two different DVD/ROM drives installed on my Gateway desktop - and three repair disks. The repair disk is the only way to re-format the C drive before restoring...
  8. Can't boot Windows 10 winRE, Non-system disk or disk error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot Windows 10 winRE, Non-system disk or disk error: My computer got stuck in the Auto Startup Repair loop so I used the bootrec cmds, but I still couldn't get past the loading screen so then I attempted a System Restore from a restore point, but the process froze at the finished prompt so I shut it down to try again. The...
  9. System Repair Disc

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Repair Disc: Hi I'm running Windows 10 on an HP Envy All in One. My preferred backup method is a System Image Backup. When the backup completes it always prompts me to create an System Image Disc. The problem is the this computer doesn't have a built in CD recorder/player. Are there any...
  10. System repair Disc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System repair Disc: I am trying to create a system repair disc and I keep getting a pop up stating "The disc in the selected drive is not blank. You must erase the disc before you can use it." This is a blank brand new disc. I have tried other discs and it says the same thing. What do I do? 45111