Windows 10: Non-windows drive failed, now system won't boot

Discus and support Non-windows drive failed, now system won't boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I had a storage drive fail yesterday (clicking repeatedly), and it looks like somehow my pc was using it as the boot drive, despite Windows being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by leithien, Apr 7, 2019.

1. leithien Win User

Non-windows drive failed, now system won't boot

So I had a storage drive fail yesterday (clicking repeatedly), and it looks like somehow my pc was using it as the boot drive, despite Windows being installed on a different drive.

I've cloned the Windows partition to an ssd, along with the efi and recovery partitions, have run bcdboot, even gone through to recreate the efi partition and populate it manually, and I still can't get the ssd to boot. It just hangs on a black screen after bios.

I've got another working windows install on the hdd, and the peculiar thing is it doesn't recognise that the original windows install is there, just boots straight into the new windows without asking which install I want.

If anyone has any ideas to recover my original windows install I'd appreciate it, I'm at my wit's end.

:)

leithien, Apr 7, 2019

2. System restore failed and now my computer won' t boot at all

Hi Bjørn,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up. If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the
    piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

Method 2:

Perform a Startup repair from Advance boot option

• Boot your computer using a Windows 10 CD/ DVD or System Repair Disc.

• Select the correct time and keyboard type.

• Click on Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

• Select Troubleshoot from the Choose an option screen.

• Click on Advanced options in the Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Repair from the Advanced Options screen.

• Next, choose the operating system.

• Windows 10 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Ronald San, Apr 7, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    [Confusion] Hard drive won't boot. Caused by video card?

Did you install Windows with all your other hard drives plugged in? If you did, removing them when you boot Windows will fail, because Windows dumps boot flags on every drive when its first installed. That's why people always recommend disconnecting every single hard drive besides your C:\ drive when doing a fresh install.

As for your initial problem, the GPU being reinstalled and suddenly Windows won't boot - tried safe mode? (Spam F9 when your computer is loading)

RCoon, Apr 7, 2019
  4. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Non-windows drive failed, now system won't boot - Similar Threads - Non drive failed

2. System drive used to boot but won't now

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System drive used to boot but won't now: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 7306 black. Supplied as NVMe SSD 500GB. Bought from a Dell outlet in Feb 22. I bought a new 2TB SSD and had the outlet install it. I put a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on it. It's worked fine since then. So obviously it was a Bootable device and...
  3. System drive used to boot but won't now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System drive used to boot but won't now: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 7306 black. Supplied as NVMe SSD 500GB. Bought from a Dell outlet in Feb 22. I bought a new 2TB SSD and had the outlet install it. I put a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on it. It's worked fine since then. So obviously it was a Bootable device and...
  4. System drive used to boot but won't now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. accidentally renamed drive F: SYSTEM and now my laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    accidentally renamed drive F: SYSTEM and now my laptop won't boot: hi, I have an Asus laptop with windows 10, yesterday accidentally i renamed drive F: SYSTEM to a random name and now my laptop during boot freezes at the screen "ASUS in search of incredible". Sure, i think, what i renamed is something of system but i don't know how to fix,...
  6. accidentally renamed drive F: SYSTEM and now my laptop won't boot

accidentally renamed drive F: SYSTEM and now my laptop won't boot: hi, I have an Asus laptop with windows 10, yesterday accidentally i renamed drive F: SYSTEM to a random name and now my laptop during boot freezes at the screen "ASUS in search of incredible". Sure, i think, what i renamed is something of system but i don't know how to fix,...
  7. I installed Bluetooth on non-supported system and now windows 10 won't boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I installed Bluetooth on non-supported system and now windows 10 won't boot.: I downloaded Bluetooth driver for windows 10 but didn't check first to see if my device supports Bluetooth , windows 10 won't boot. After I installed it , my system started opening programs by itself and the monitor was flashing every 5 to 10 sec. I panicked , did not use VPN...
  8. I installed Bluetooth on non-supported system and now windows 10 won't boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed Bluetooth on non-supported system and now windows 10 won't boot.: I downloaded Bluetooth driver for windows 10 but didn't check first to see if my device supports Bluetooth , windows 10 won't boot. After I installed it , my system started opening programs by itself and the monitor was flashing every 5 to 10 sec. I panicked , did not use VPN...
  9. I installed Bluetooth on non-supported system and now windows 10 won't boot.

10. update failed now won't boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update failed now won't boot.: Update decided was going to install window 10 v 1909 was on 1809. Update failed and said was restoring previous settings 1809 however on reboot just got blinking cursor on screen. Downloaded Windows 10 to access recovery tools, tried all several times, restore, system...