Windows 10: Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos..

Discus and support Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I rarely ever run into PC issues that make me desperate, but this might be just the case, specially since I'm completely and hopelessly lost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Coconutella, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos..

Hello!

I rarely ever run into PC issues that make me desperate, but this might be just the case, specially since I'm completely and hopelessly lost about what to do..

I'd be immensely grateful if any help could be offered, or at least if I can be guided through this issue, so I can find a solution, for once..

It all started when I did accept the latest Windows update available, the Win10 update 2004, which brought something related to indexing features and whatnot..

After the update, I tried to open my PC game platforms Steam and Epic Games - both of which, along with all of their games, installed in my HDD (it's an hybrid system; SSD for system and essential software, and HDD for files, docs, games and whatnot).

However, I was hit with an absurd amount of delay, that rendered everything based on the HDD unusable. Steam and Epic Games would take up to 7 minutes to simply load and open; file transfers from/within the HDD were horribly slow, programs installed on the drive were also taking forever to open and run - whereas the SSD-based apps ran normally.

I tried minor fixes like changing power plan, running a disk check in my HDD and so, but nothing helped. I noticed, however, the 'search' feature and box of Win Explorer was different.

Then, I ended up choosing to rollback to the previous Win version, which I believe to be either 1903 or 1909.

I believe, however, that this process screwed up my indexing/searching features, and I'm at an absolute loss... The erratic timing and sluggish loading times for everything HDD based, here, persists, but now, my 'search' function in Win Explorer is not working...

I have followed the steps shown here:

[Solved] File Explorer Search Not Working in Windows 10

Fix 1: Restart File Explorer

Fix 2: Make Sure Windows Search Service Is Enabled

Fix 3: Change the Search Options

Fix 4: Allow Files to Have Contents Indexed

And right now, I'm stuck in this 'fix' here - Fix 5: Rebuild Search Index

Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos.. [​IMG]

It's taking quite a while to load.

My SSD and HDD (C: and E:, respectively) are my main directories. I need to fully make use of the search function for those.

After all these fixes, not only the search function seems slower (as well as opening folders and having them load the contentes), but, specially for the E: drive, the search isn't working at all.

The indexing panel's troubleshooting indicates there are Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories affecting me.

Plus, for some strange reason, when it comes to all of the admin-perms folders I used to have access to, I'm now having to re-set my profile as their owner/proprietor.

TLDR.: - I'm hopelessly lost and afraid, and I don't know what to do, about the slow HDD, about these messed up permissions, and about the non functioning search feature.

My Win Explorer is completely screwed. I can't even load files from it on other programs without getting stuck in the 'Working on it..' message.

Any help would be extremely appreciated - I'm in utter despair. *cry

:)

Coconutella, Oct 4, 2020
  2. zdzdz Win User

Windows Search and Indexing Broken

These are my permissions on C:

I have some strange Unknown users. I think they may be from the time I install MSSql Server. I'm not sure.
    And I don't have Administrator added. When I try to add I get this:

Red icon with cross.

And the Owner was Unknown something, so I changed it to my Account.

zdzdz, Oct 4, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User

Hi, ok, you're right.. should have looked more carefully at the permisssions issue.

Good you've made some progress. Note that Users needs to be indexed, else searching Settings is s-l-o-w... (Or at least the relevant part of Users, whatever that might be).

Just wondering about your permissions on C: given you've had to deal with one permissions problem.

Mine on C: is this:

dalchina, Oct 4, 2020
  4. zdzdz Win User

Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos..

After upgrading to TH2 I had an issue with windows search. The service wouldn't start at all.

I managed to run the Windows Search service.
    I had to delete the Key RebuildIndex and change value of key SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 1.

Now that the search service works I have another problem. The indexing is not working:

In Advanced options the Index Location is blank and the button Select New is grayed out.

When I run the troubleshooter I get : Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories -- Not fixed

The owner of folders C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Search and C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Search\Data is SYSTEM. Administrator and my user name are added with Full Control.
    What could be the problem?

zdzdz, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos..

1. Nonfunctioning Explorer Search, broken permissions, indexing chaos.. - Similar Threads - Nonfunctioning Explorer Search

2. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  3. Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results: So, in Windows File Explorer I went to View/Options/Change folder and search options then clicked Restore Defaults on all three tabs: General, view, and search because of a whole other issue that I fixed later and has nothing to do with my current issue.BUT by clicking...
  4. Search Indexing and Windows file explorer not responding

Search Indexing and Windows file explorer not responding: Hi, so my problem started a week ago when I updated my computer, and had just downloaded some new software, not sure which one the problem may stem from since it was at the same time, but I do trust the software company, it's tied with my University. Problem is this: when...
  5. search box in windows explorer broken

in Cortana
    search box in windows explorer broken: on my old windows 10 machine, i could click on search, and date modified, and a calendar would pop up and allow me to set a specific date range. on my brand new computer it does not work. i can only pick last week, last month, etc. i have no idea how to get the function...
  6. File explorer search broken?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search broken?: Latest version of Windows 10 1909, after some time it randomly won't let me search on file explorer..can't click on the search bar...nothing happens. Have to signout/restart or manually restart file explorer. Anyone else? submitted by /u/RedditUser09138 [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 Explorer Search Indexing

Windows 10 Explorer Search Indexing: I want to exclude the path in my file searches. Is there a way to turn this off? And if not, is there a way to always search by file "name" and not by any other criteria by default?...
  8. Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken: Hi, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have encountered an interesting problem. I realized it initially when I would press start and begin to type a program's name in order to run it, as I was doing with Windows 7, but it would not find any results and would prompt me...
  9. Windows Search and Indexing Broken

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Search and Indexing Broken: After upgrading to TH2 I had an issue with windows search. The service wouldn't start at all. I managed to run the Windows Search service. I had to delete the Key RebuildIndex and change value of key SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 1. [img] Now that the search...
  10. Search (file explorer) broken in 9879

in Windows 10 Support
    Search (file explorer) broken in 9879: Hi there I think the search is broken in file explorer in 9879 Say I'm just looking for all my ISO files -- I used to type in the search argument *.iso or even .iso and it would list all files xxxxxx.iso Now the search returns ANY STRING CONTAINING iso in it such as...