Windows 10: [NOOB QUESTION] First time installing Windows, help me understand how partitions work -...

Discus and support [NOOB QUESTION] First time installing Windows, help me understand how partitions work -... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all, I'm building my first PC very soon, and I've never installed WIndows, only ever owned a laptop where it was already installed. My rig will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ice_uckdik, Jan 21, 2021.

1. [NOOB QUESTION] First time installing Windows, help me understand how partitions work -...

Hey all,

I'm building my first PC very soon, and I've never installed WIndows, only ever owned a laptop where it was already installed.

My rig will have 500GB m.2 SSD and a 2TB HDD. I want to install Windows on the SSD, along with all my apps, and a few games I want to load faster, like modded Skyrim. I also want to install Linux Ubuntu and set up a Dual Boot.

What should my partitions look like (how many and how big) and what should I put in which ? Or should I bother partitioning at all ?

Side quesion, do I need UEFI boot ? I looked it up and apparently it replaces the BIOS. Should I choose that when creating my bootable USB ?

submitted by /u/ice_uckdik
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ice_uckdik, Jan 21, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 21, 2021
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 21, 2021
  4. [NOOB QUESTION] First time installing Windows, help me understand how partitions work -...

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

[NOOB QUESTION] First time installing Windows, help me understand how partitions work -...

1. [NOOB QUESTION] First time installing Windows, help me understand how partitions work -... - Similar Threads - NOOB QUESTION installing

2. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  3. Understanding partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Understanding partitions: The following image is from Macrium Reflect showing my boot drive. This is a 237 GB SSD. I don't quite follow how (or why) there's 4 partitions, one of which is grayed out showing as 455 MB and another 521MB showing as red, suggesting it's near full. Thanks for any advice....
  4. Noob Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Noob Question: I need to do a clean install because of lingering issues. I have Win 10 Pro paid. When I reinstall, will the same key work? TIA submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kauvg1/noob_question/
  5. Win 10 first time installer, help?

Win 10 first time installer, help?: Probably dumb questions but I'm a little worried about downloading the ms tool, is it possible just to download win 10 iso? I don't want it to try and install win 10 on this PC, but I'm trying to make an install disk for my new PC. Also, worried about all the reports of...
  6. Help me understand if this is a risk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help me understand if this is a risk: Hi. Please check my picture and tell me im not being hacked/spied on. I inserted text information to the picture and by what i read it seems like im compromised. But i need you to confirm. I'll give you more info if you need it. Both processes are running in system32 folder....
  7. Help! I’m a noob

Help! I’m a noob: VCRUNTIME.dll I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling through command prompt Tried installing it from the Microsoft website Also tried (scannow) on command prompt. Just trying to download origin for gaming Scared to download anything from the internet I see from YouTube...
  8. Virtual Memory (Noob Question)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Virtual Memory (Noob Question): So I recently found this article to increase my PC performance by setting this settings to, well it varies. Quick question, how much do I need to put in minimal and max, I have like 8gb of memory right now. [img] 121989
  9. installation partition question and wrong time after install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installation partition question and wrong time after install: Hi, I have a new pc and I installed windows 10 64 bit, it went well but there were a few thing I wasn't sure about, one being that the time was wrong and would not correct itself In the end I decided to reinstall windows as it was very quick the first time, when I got...
  10. Partition Question - First UEFI system

in Windows 10 Support
    Partition Question - First UEFI system: So I just completed a clean install on my new Pavilion X360 laptop. I've been building computers and working in IT for 20 years, but I've come across something I haven't dealt with before. I'm always used to using diskpart to set up my drives during the OS installs. I used...