Windows 10: Noob question re resetting PC

Discus and support Noob question re resetting PC in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, so basically I've got an issue that I've been trying to fix for hours and can't be bothered with anymore, so I'm gonna reset my PC (laptop). I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheMunchikin, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Noob question re resetting PC

Hi, so basically I've got an issue that I've been trying to fix for hours and can't be bothered with anymore, so I'm gonna reset my PC (laptop). I don't really care if I lose my personal files, as I've only had it for a few days anyway. All I want to know is, will resetting it remove all the apps the laptop originally came with? I need to keep them but clear everything else at the same time.

submitted by /u/TheMunchikin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheMunchikin, Sep 9, 2020
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Sep 10, 2020
  3. pooch22 Win User
    Virtual Memory (Noob Question)

So I recently found this article to increase my PC performance by setting this settings to, well it varies.

Quick question, how much do I need to put in minimal and max, I have like 8gb of memory right now.
    Noob question re resetting PC [​IMG]

pooch22, Sep 10, 2020
  4. Ikaruga Win User

Noob question re resetting PC

router logs DoS attack from a local PC....

Well you did not say that you don't really know what you are doing. It's not a problem of course, but it changes things a little.

It's not even clear if the PC or the router is the problem at this time, so I suggested that you disable some unnecessary things which are usually known to cause many problems, sorry if those were too complicated.

• You could reset some network related stuffz on the PC as a next step. Open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator), and enter the followings on the PC:
      netsh int ip reset reset.log
      netsh int ipv6 reset
      netsh winsock reset
      netsh branchcache reset
      netsh advfirewall reset
      (note: You can export your current firewall rules in the "group policy" before the reset if it's needed for some reason)

• Btw, Would it be a problem to reset the router to the default settings if the things we are trying will not help? There is a menu point for that called "factory settings" (and also a little hole on the back if you prefer that one).. the Administrator username in the router after the reset would be admin and the password is probably on a sticker at the bottom of the router (special settings needed to go online with your ISP might be also necessary)
      This is not needed now (not yet), but perhaps the source of the problem is at the router and not the PC in question, so we may come to that eventually.
    ps.: Do you have a second network card you could test in that PC and a different cable to rule out some hardware issues on the PC side?

Ikaruga, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

Noob question re resetting PC

1. Noob question re resetting PC - Similar Threads - Noob question resetting

2. "Reset this PC" Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Reset this PC" Question: Hello,Due to issues with my PC, I am considering resetting my Windows 11 installation.However, I'm not 100% sure what the reset will and won't touch.Specifically, what does it mean when it says "Remove all apps and programs"? Does that mean anything installed through the...
  3. Noob Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Noob Question: I need to do a clean install because of lingering issues. I have Win 10 Pro paid. When I reinstall, will the same key work? TIA submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kauvg1/noob_question/
  4. Reseting pc question

Reseting pc question: Hi there accidentally i deleted some drivers from the system on my laptop so,when i open or when i restart the pc i get error like “windowsapps/microsoft.gamingapp_1912.1001.8.0_x64” something so i am thinking to do reset,so my question is if i reset my pc everything its...
  5. Win Task Scheduler noob question

Win Task Scheduler noob question: Hello, I would like to start a specific sound file (mp3) with the VLC media player at a predefined time. I already managed to tell the Task Scheduler to open the player, but I dont know how to tell him that the sound file should be opened within the player. I tried to enter...
  6. Noob network problems / question (nDisplay)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Noob network problems / question (nDisplay): Hi folks, I really am a networking noob, sorry 'bout that. At the moment i'm trying to get nDisplay (Unreal Engine) working on two computers. I've set up a network and have logged into an admin account with the exact same name / password on both computers. The problem...
  7. Noob question regarding the new update

Noob question regarding the new update: So before I left for spring break I decided to fully shut down my laptop. There was an update, I thought it was a little one and went through with it. Low and behold it was a big boy and I had to leave to catch my flight before I could see it through. I come back 6 days...
  8. Noob question about refresh rates...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Noob question about refresh rates...: Hi, I am about to upgrade my monitor. I have some questions about refresh rates. I edit photos and play some first-person shooters (BF & Far Cry), but would put preference on the editing... I think. Meaning, I definitely want IPS and at least 2560x1440 resolution for the...
  9. Virtual Memory (Noob Question)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Virtual Memory (Noob Question): So I recently found this article to increase my PC performance by setting this settings to, well it varies. Quick question, how much do I need to put in minimal and max, I have like 8gb of memory right now. [img] 121989
  10. Noob Question About Mic Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Noob Question About Mic Setup: My mic will not register that i am talking into it even tho it shows up in the 'recording devices.' I have it set on default - i have tried using it on another windows 10 laptop and it instantly works -I have updated all drivers through MSI - I have uninstalled sound...