Windows 10: Norton nagging to install

Discus and support Norton nagging to install in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am on Windows 10 and have been using Malwarebytes for a number years now. I recently updated Javascript or Java (a mistake, I know) and must have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jshaw42, Apr 27, 2017.

1. jshaw42 Win User

Norton nagging to install

I am on Windows 10 and have been using Malwarebytes for a number years now. I recently updated Javascript or Java (a mistake, I know) and must have missed the button to not install Norton. I am now getting a popup where Norton keeps asking if I want to install. I click cancel and it goes away ... for a while.

Here is the popup:

Norton nagging to install [​IMG]
    I have done a number of searches for Norton and Symantec and deleted everything that is found.I have gone to the Norton site and followed these steps:
    a tool that you can download and run to fix this problem.

STEP 1 Download and run the fix tool Download the fix tool.Save the file to the Windows desktop.
    On your desktop, right-click the NortonRemediationRemover.exe file, and click Run as administrator.
    By running the tool, you accept the Usage Agreement.
    Click Close.
    If you still find any problems with your Norton product, we recommend that you uninstall and reinstall it. Go to Step 2.

STEP 2 Download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool
    If you have Norton Family installed, uninstall it before you run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.Save the file to the Windows desktop. On some browsers, the file is automatically saved to its default location.To open the Downloads window in your browser, press the Ctrl + J key.
    Double-click the NRnR icon.Read the license agreement, and click Agree.Click Remove & Reinstall.You may see the Remove button if your Norton product is from your service provider.Click Continue or Remove.Click Restart Now.After the computer restarts, follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall your Norton product.

Here is the popup I get:

Norton nagging to install [​IMG]

I have used Ccleaner twice to eliminate the Symantec and Norton entries from start up and restarted. Each time, the pop-up is still there. Not only that the Symantec and Norton entries are back in start up.I used Ccleaner to clean the registry and found this:
    The Application C:\Users\jshaw\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS1C84.tmp\SymNRT.exe referenced at: {9661DE1D-4B80-4F17-B0F8-B52BC13455CF} could not be located. These references are often left behind after uninstalling software.Went there and deleted all references to Symantec and Norton.

Did a PC search and found "Norton Product Installer.job" and "Norton Product InstallerIdle.job" in "C:\Windows\Tasks" and eliminated same.Used CCleaner to find temporary files, eliminated same.

Does anyone know how to stop this permanently? This is really getting aggravating.

:)

jshaw42, Apr 27, 2017

2. Norton nag for update to new version

I am running Windows 10 on two desktop PCs and a laptop. With all three I am being nagged to death in the notification area... with a message that says I need to update my Norton Internet Security Suite to the latest version. I have checked all three computers
    with Norton's web site and they all indicate that I already have the latest version installed... 22.6.0.142. This is no surprise since Norton automatically pushes out updates for NIS. Am I missing something here... if not... I would appreciate greatly hearing
    from anyone who can tell me how to stop the endless nags.

By the way I use Norton because I get it for free through Verizon Wireless.

Many thanks for any help

cyberman45, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Alberto Giura (AlbyTech), Apr 27, 2017
  4. Norton nagging to install

Wiley Coyote, Apr 27, 2017
  5. jshaw42 Win User
    Thanks for you experience, but that doesn't help me. I tried the Revo program and it could not find anything.

jshaw42, Apr 27, 2017
  6. Stick around, someone will come along with a workable solution.

Good luck...

7. Superfly Win User
    I would just install the darn thing then remove it as the tool suggested. -the task prompt should go away after install that's kind of how installers work.. anyway good luck bud, hope it works.

Superfly, Apr 27, 2017
  8. Norton nagging to install

Sunds like a plan to me.

9. jshaw42 Win User
    I already tried the install and remove route. No success

jshaw42, Apr 27, 2017
  10. You may well have to do what I did and call Norton Support. The tech I got was very courteous and knew what he was doing. No poking around looking for the files and folders. He knew exactly where to go.

11. jshaw42 Win User
    Thanks GWGilley. I may do just that.

jshaw42, Apr 28, 2017
  12. Keep us posted. Inquiring minds want to know.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 28, 2017
  13. Norton nagging to install

Download Autoruns - check Logon/Scheduled Tasks/Services, also Bootexec/AppInit/Winlogon.

Via Options - select to Hide Microsoft/Windows entries.

TairikuOkami, Apr 28, 2017
  14. Gordon7 Win User
    The first thing you have to do is finding it in your task manager and right-click on it - and stop it from running!

Next you go to your control panel - Administrative Tools - right-click on Task Scheduler and chose "Run as Administrator".

In the Task Scheduler you follow the instructions given in this link from Norton Support:

Norton Utilities installer window appears unexpectedly on the computer

Follow the instruction from where you are in the Task Scheduler!

That should get rid of this "Malware" behaving piece of crap from Symantec Norton!

When you have done this, you can read the following post from the Norton Forum about this problem:

How to remove unwanted norton utilities 16 install program? | Norton Community

As you can read in this link, it installs it self as a hidden installer in Program x86 folder!

To be able to see it you have to turn on "See hidden folders" and open the program x86 folder in your explorer folder panel
    and then when you find the Norton folders there - delete them. (Open Explore by right-click and chose "Run as Administrator"
    to have the permission to delete folders in the system Program x86 folder).

Start with the Task Manager (stop Norton Utilities) Then go to the Task Scheduler (as Admin) and follow instructions from the
    link given to Norton Support.

That should do it - good luck!

Gordon7, Apr 28, 2017
  15. jshaw42 Win User
    After all I did (and I can not remember all the steps) it appears to have been corrected. If it returns, I will let you know.

A BIG thanks to all for the help.

jshaw42, Apr 28, 2017
Thema:

Norton nagging to install

1. Norton nagging to install - Similar Threads - Norton nagging install

2. norton

in Windows 10 Gaming
    norton: I had Microsoft*Norton on an old laptop. I want to transfer it to my new laptop. I have monthly fees charged to a credit card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/norton/b69952ed-c177-4ad4-849d-39b099501c4a
  3. norton

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    norton: I had Microsoft*Norton on an old laptop. I want to transfer it to my new laptop. I have monthly fees charged to a credit card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/norton/b69952ed-c177-4ad4-849d-39b099501c4a
  4. Norton

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Norton: I bought a new computer from Costco and went to download my existing Norton antivirus software. It wouldn't load. Long story short Norton said they would have someone help me download it. Then a tech comes on remotely and says I have a Trojan and its going to cost $159 for...
  5. McAfee and Norton Expired? Not Installed

McAfee and Norton Expired? Not Installed: Hey all, my wife started getting two error messages last night. McAfee and Norton say that they are both expired and need to be renewed. She does not have either one of those programs installed. Strictly MS antivirus and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes and AV show her system...
  6. Xfinity User / Norton installed

Xfinity User / Norton installed: Hi, Being an Xfinity user I was prompted to install Norton - I did. Now I'm getting notifications about my Windows Defender being turned off. Did I really mess up? Thanks....
  7. Norton Install (+➀-➇❽➇-❼2❷-❶❻❻6) - Norton antivirus Toll Free

Norton Install (+➀-➇❽➇-❼2❷-❶❻❻6) - Norton antivirus Toll Free: Norton.com/setup - To Download, install and activate the Norton setup, go to norton.com/setup and get started with Norton product In the present time, an antivirus is expected to keep PC programming, PC applications, and information security; however a considerable lot of its...
  8. Norton Installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Norton Installation: I have bought a 2 year subscription of Norton Security. My Microsoft Surface Go does not allow it to be installed. How do I go about to install my Norton program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/norton-installation/2ab8d5fb-50ce-4fee-8366-5741a72a925f
  9. NORTON

NORTON: can I run norton and window defender at the same time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/norton/82de06c3-2960-4673-8e29-0437b53c64b1
  10. Nag: "Required updates need to be installed"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Nag: "Required updates need to be installed": Or maybe it is "Required updates need to be downloaded". I don't remember. In any case thee is only one option given: download or install. When this message appears the whole display is locked. Sometimes Esc removes the popup; sometimes Esc (and everything else) is ignored....