Windows 10: Norton or not

Discus and support Norton or not in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Iv'e bought a bundle of five Norton internet security one year licences for under £30 from PC World to go on four Windows 7 pc's. Should I put the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tinmar49, Aug 23, 2015.

1. tinmar49 Win User

Norton or not

Iv'e bought a bundle of five Norton internet security one year licences for under £30 from PC World to go on four Windows 7 pc's. Should I put the remaining one on the W10 machine which is used most often on line? I have used the free Malwarebytes together with WD on all my W10 and 8.1 pc's to date.

:)

tinmar49, Aug 23, 2015
  2. MiaThicke Win User

BSOD Driver IRQL Not Less than or Equal - Norton seems to be culprit uninstalled but still not booting

Hi all,

I believe I've narrowed my issue down to it being norton. The second part of the error was symnets (I think that's the spelling). Anyways, the laptop was running one day and hubby noticed it seemed to be running super hot, so he turned it off. Unfortunately,
    he didn't know that that's not the purpose of the power button. Well, when he went to turn it back on he got the BSOD Driver IRQL.... error.

Upon doing some digging I've so far removed the CD from the drive, an SD card from it's slot, and now am at least able to click on advanced options (before I couldn't). A little more digging, and read something on using verifier flags from cmd prompt. The
    bugcheck I found in the event viewer under critical was 209 which is the hex equivalent of D1.

Not knowing a whole lot about this, I just followed the instructions I was reading for this particular event and found that if I use verifier flags 2 to force IRQL checking, it will allow the computer to boot into safe mode WITH the GUI, not just a black
    screen plus cmd prompt, which is what I was getting before.

Since I'm not sure exactly what this is doing, I don't know what my next step would be. When I tried to msconfig and uncheck safe boot and boot normally, i get the same BSOD. So, now I've uninstalled Norton and anything related and also anything I didn't
    recognize as needed that was downloaded the same day the computer crashed. (Mind u hubby says he didn't download anything that day.)

I read somewhere else to disable the BIOS caching but do not see that option in the BIOS.

The computer is an emachines running Windows 10 and unfortunately, no restore points to revert to :/ I do have a recovery disk I created, but just don't know if that's necessary or will help in this case.

Any help greatly appreciated. TIA.

MiaThicke, Aug 23, 2015
  3. BSOD Driver IRQL Not Less than or Equal - Norton seems to be culprit uninstalled but still not booting

Hi Mia,

To help resolve your concern, you may need to reinstall your laptop using your recovery disk.

Follow the troubleshooting steps on the
    Recovery options in Windows 10
    article for better assistance.

Do let us know if you have further questions.

Regards.

Raymond Ave, Aug 23, 2015
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Norton or not

If Norton works properly under w10 then go ahead. I myself prefer Win Defender though.

eLPuSHeR, Aug 23, 2015
  5. cbwilsha Win User
    "Norton or not"

NOT!!

cbwilsha, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Phone Man Win User
    For your W10 be sure you have ver 22.5.2.15 as older versions are not compatible.

I use it on my W7 and W10 systems.

Jim

Phone Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Norton or not

1. Norton or not - Similar Threads - Norton

2. Cannot delete Norton Security Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete Norton Security Files: Greetings all, I am having an issue with deleting my norton security files. What I have tried so far is in sequence of how I went about it. I am in my own PC and my user profile has admin rights. I did restart my laptop as well. OS is Win 11 Home, version 23H21. Attempted to...
  3. Cannot delete Norton Security Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete Norton Security Files: Greetings all, I am having an issue with deleting my norton security files. What I have tried so far is in sequence of how I went about it. I am in my own PC and my user profile has admin rights. I did restart my laptop as well. OS is Win 11 Home, version 23H21. Attempted to...
  4. norton

in Windows 10 Gaming
    norton: I had Microsoft*Norton on an old laptop. I want to transfer it to my new laptop. I have monthly fees charged to a credit card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/norton/b69952ed-c177-4ad4-849d-39b099501c4a
  5. norton

norton: I had Microsoft*Norton on an old laptop. I want to transfer it to my new laptop. I have monthly fees charged to a credit card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/norton/b69952ed-c177-4ad4-849d-39b099501c4a
  6. Norton wants me to pay them to fix "357 Corrupted Registries". Is that legitimate? What...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Norton wants me to pay them to fix "357 Corrupted Registries". Is that legitimate? What...: I understand what a registry is, but I am not sure a that Norton is just trying to scare people nor that b it cannot be done manually/automatically. This feels like "disk cleanup" in the DOS days. Is it? Please advise!...
  7. Norton wants me to pay them to fix "357 Corrupted Registries". Is that legitimate? What...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Norton wants me to pay them to fix "357 Corrupted Registries". Is that legitimate? What...: I understand what a registry is, but I am not sure a that Norton is just trying to scare people nor that b it cannot be done manually/automatically. This feels like "disk cleanup" in the DOS days. Is it? Please advise!...
  8. Norton wants me to pay them to fix "357 Corrupted Registries". Is that legitimate? What...

9. deleted Norton on win7 machine and now no internet access. i just want to upgrade to win11...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted Norton on win7 machine and now no internet access. i just want to upgrade to win11...: I deleted Norton on a Win7 PC and now no internet access. I just want to upgrade to Win 11 on that PC. Can Norton do that? Block Access? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-norton-on-win7-machine-and-now-no-internet/8e9c04d2-2023-4226-808b-b9efe38e9471
  10. deleted Norton on win7 machine and now no internet access. i just want to upgrade to win11...

deleted Norton on win7 machine and now no internet access. i just want to upgrade to win11...: I deleted Norton on a Win7 PC and now no internet access. I just want to upgrade to Win 11 on that PC. Can Norton do that? Block Access? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-norton-on-win7-machine-and-now-no-internet/8e9c04d2-2023-4226-808b-b9efe38e9471