Windows 10: Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive!

Discus and support Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Home Edition version 1903 build# 18362.900. I received a Norton yellow ! icon in my taskbar to check the performance of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FredricJLowe, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive!

Running Windows 10 Home Edition version 1903 build# 18362.900.

I received a Norton yellow ! icon in my taskbar to check the performance of my computer. It said I had errors and to run chkdsk. I ran cmd as an administrator and it found a lot of errors in read only mode but stopped the scan due to the size.

What should I do now to find all of the files that it said are corrupt and how to fix them?

Thank you as always!

:)

FredricJLowe, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Hard drive error

Hi,

This issue could be due to corrupted system file(s), faulty Hard disk drive or
    no power to the drive. We would like to know some information to better isolate the issue:

• Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting hard drive's SATA cable and power cable?
    • Have you tried running CHKDSK command? CHKDSK command scans disk for errors.
    • What type of disk drive are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Hard Drive Error Message

[Merged]

Hi Cliff,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to run chkdsk, it will manually check the drive for file system errors and bad sectors.

• On the Desktop screen, press Windows +
      E keys.

• Right-click the drive that you want to check for errors.

• Click on Properties.

• Click on the Tools tab.

• Click on the Check button under Error checking.

• Follow the on screen instructions.
    Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive!

External Hard Drive Problems

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you to run Check disk and check if it helps:

Check disk is a utility that can check your hard drive for corrupted segments and fix them. You can refer to these steps to run the Check disk utility:

• Press Windows key + X, select “Command promt (Admin)”.
    • In the command prompt window, type “chkdsk/r” and press Enter.
    • Press “Y” when it asks if you want to check disk to run when the computer boots the next time.
    • Restart the computer for Check disk to detect and repair any corrupted sectors in your hard drive.

Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the data available on that sector might be
    lost.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive!

1. Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive! - Similar Threads - Norton said run

2. chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error: System Info:Windows 10 Home Version 22H2C: Drive - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GBIssues: Blue screen crashErrors found in C: driveAttempted Fixes:"chkdsk /f" command attempted multiple times via powershell, windows 10 system notification, and C: drive device propertiesWhen...
  3. chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error: System Info:Windows 10 Home Version 22H2C: Drive - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GBIssues: Blue screen crashErrors found in C: driveAttempted Fixes:"chkdsk /f" command attempted multiple times via powershell, windows 10 system notification, and C: drive device propertiesWhen...
  4. chkdsk won't run on restart, and drive errors still found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk won't run on restart, and drive errors still found: I checked my c: drive yesterday and it told me it had an error. we restarted it multiple times and only reached the part where it says "to skip disk checking, press any key within 5 seconds" then nothing else happened afterwards, just the normal restart. I saw another post...
  5. norton defrag ssd, Norton said in its program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    norton defrag ssd, Norton said in its program: My norton said that my PC needed disk optimization and it started running defrag. After almost five minutes I canceled it. After typing this, i went back and looked at the task and it said "fix complete" and then it said "busy try later" I have had this laptop for less...
  6. Hard drive not found

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Hard drive not found: Needed to reinstall windows 10 pro. My additional (D) SSD hard drive has a password protection. It is used to store documents, pictures and games etc. To not delete all info on that the D drive it was disconnected before reinstalling windows on default drive (C). After...
  7. Hard drive Not found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive Not found: I have installed neverwre's chrome os in my usb drive. Unfortunately I have chosed to format drive and install this on pc. I have canceled the install process but My drive is already formated. After that I have installed windows 10. Drives Before format 1. hard drive,...
  8. Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.

Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.: I got a new hard drive and plugged it in correctly, but it locks me out. when I try to do a chkdsk in command prompt it says: "Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may be locked by another process. You have to invoke this utility running in...
  9. my hard drive said full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my hard drive said full: the hard drive said full. said to delete apps ,so I did .now nothing opens FILES .WHAT COMES UP IS CAN NOT FINE FILES .?WHAT DO I DO? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hard-drive-said-full/94016524-5edc-48ab-bc91-99c782c86a8b
  10. Hard Drive Bad Sectors found by WD Data Lifeguard but not by chkdsk

Hard Drive Bad Sectors found by WD Data Lifeguard but not by chkdsk: Hi all Here's the story... I had 2x 3TB HDD's in my NAS drive that was reporting that one of them had bad sectors, this was confirmed by Western Digital's HDD Utility tool, so I replaced it. I've reformatted it and hooked it up via a USB caddy and ran chkdsk on it but...