Windows 10: Not able to access NAS Shared folder

Discus and support Not able to access NAS Shared folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, Recently, I reinstalled windows 10, and suddenly, I was not able to access any shared folders located on my NAS. I was able to access other PCs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tomlee9, Mar 11, 2019.

1. tomlee9 Win User

Not able to access NAS Shared folder

Hey,

Recently, I reinstalled windows 10, and suddenly, I was not able to access any shared folders located on my NAS. I was able to access other PCs (running windows 10)'s shared folders. Other PCs(running windows 10) are able to acccess the NAS. Can you guys help with this?

I got this error code: 0x80004005

:)

tomlee9, Mar 11, 2019

2. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup

Not able to access NAS Shared folder [​IMG]

I enter a userid and password as defined on the NAS . The popup disappears for a few seconds; then a very similar one pops up:

Not able to access NAS Shared folder [​IMG]

It says "connecting" and doesn't say "Access is denied", but never goes beyond that. I'm a bit puzzled because it looks like Windows is asking for credentials for the whole NAS rather than for the secured "share" within the NAS. I have no NAS-level security set up.

BTW, I've been able to access the unprotected shares with no trouble for years - both from Win7 and Win10. I've been trying using the protected share for only a couple months and have had mixed results. Sometimes I succeed, but usually I fail. I can find no errors logged on either Windows or the NAS.

pokeefe0001, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Hi,

I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I have a desktop computer attached to the router through cable, some laptops, tablets, cell phone, etc. that are
    attached to the network wirelessly to the same router. I have shared folders from the NAS so that I can read/write files from/to it. Previously I could access the shared folders on the NAS from both my laptop and my desktop computer without a problem. The
    shared folder is still defined as network drive on my desktop.

Now, I changed the hard drive on the laptop and installed a new windows on it and I cannot access the shared folders of the NAS from the laptop anymore (desktop is unchanged.) I am 100% sure that the laptop and the NAS are connected through the network (I
    can ping the NAS from the laptop), but if I type the \\NASname on the windows explorer, I get the following error (same if I type its IP address):

Windows cannot access \\NASname

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Error code: 0x80004005

Unspecified error

Hitting Diagnose does nothing.

Looking at the Network through the windows explorer, I can't see any of the shared folders or other computers on the network. I tried sharing a folder from the laptop on the network, and I could access it from the desktop. But If I share something from the
    desktop, I can't see it from the laptop. Similarly, I can't see the NAS shared folders from the laptop.

I searched the web for hours to find a solution and no solution has worked yet.

Disabled Windows defender firewall: No effect. Laptop does not have any other firewall.

Activated SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing suppport: No effect,

Disabled IP V6: no effect.

I should mention that both desktop and laptop are windwos 10 education, version 1803. Desktop is OS Build 17134.165, Laptop is OS Build 17134.228 .

I'm pretty sure this is not a connectivity issue, as I can ping the NAS from the laptop. How can I make windows show the network shared folders?

Mishkhorak, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Not able to access NAS Shared folder :)

Frogger, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Not able to access NAS Shared folder - Similar Threads - able access NAS

2. windows 11 not able to share aa folder access denied error5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 not able to share aa folder access denied error5: Hi All,I had a drive crash in one of my arrays the had 6 folder shares I moved the data off the array to new locations. first off I tried to unshare the folders and got the message access denied error 5. I am the admin with all the rights so I logged in as administrator same...
  3. No access to the shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to the shared folder: Hi all, I have an issue with the shared folders. I did share a few folders from my PC, but they are not visible either from my laptop or streamer Dune HD base. I do see that the folders are shared when I check their status in the "Properties". In addition, I do see that the...
  4. Shared folder not accessible

Shared folder not accessible: I was trying to access a shared folder from my laptop on my PC (Both are running Windows 10) when it told me that he couldn't connect to it. Diagnostics say that there might be something wrong with the DNS-Server. I also tried pinging the PC and it worked perfectly. The...
  5. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...
  6. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder: Hi, I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I have a desktop computer attached to the router through cable, some laptops, tablets, cell phone, etc. that are attached to the...
  7. Unable to access the shared folder, but able to map the drive.

Unable to access the shared folder, but able to map the drive.: Hi All, I have an issue, we have one shared drive in DFS concept. we are able to map this drive in Windows 10 machines, but any unable to access the files inside that drive. It is stating that the network path is not available and some times it is displaying as you don't...
  8. Shared Folder Access

Shared Folder Access: Hi All, I had a windows 7 machine built to share a folder on my workgroup network. I slowly grew my network and begun getting an error that there was too many simultaneous connections. I was told to upgrade to server 2016 STD so i purchased it and have it installed and...
  9. Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok

Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok: Hi I had a server computer that was running windows 7. It was working like a charm, but suddenly I was unable to remote to it. I found a monitor and keyboard that I connected. My server then told me that it had installed windows 10. Wow thanks… That is something I would...
  10. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS: I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup [img] I...