Windows 10: Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok

Discus and support Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I had a server computer that was running windows 7. It was working like a charm, but suddenly I was unable to remote to it. I found a monitor and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HYgTA, Mar 11, 2016.

1. HYgTA Win User

Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok

Hi

I had a server computer that was running windows 7. It was working like a charm, but suddenly I was unable to remote to it. I found a monitor and keyboard that I connected. My server then told me that it had installed windows 10. Wow thanks… That is something I would like to have a say in… But oh well might as well get with the times and use windows 10.
    As I am using it as a server it is running, iis, ftp, plex, and some other servers. Most of it were still working after the conversion to windows 10, but I’m been having some real problems with the normal sharing of files. When I use my desktop computer (also running windows 10) to brows the network I get the following error when dobbelt-clicking my server computer:
    “\\SERVERNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon faliure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.”
    So ok… there are always problems with filesharing with a new windows installation. So I did the following:
    · Made sure file and printer sharing were turned on
    · It was using: Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computer
    · Password protected sharing sharing were turned off
    · I turned on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders
    · My network adapter is using my router ip address as DNS server
    · My network adapter has Netbios over Tcpip enabled
    · I went to Local security Policy and made sure that nothing were listed in “Deny acces to this computer from the network”
    · I Local Security Policy I verified that “Access this computer from the network” included Everyone
    · I went to Computer Management to ensure that the guest user were enabled.
    Some of these things normally does the trick. But no…
    I then tried to connect to \\192.168.1.150 which is the internal ip address of the server. That worked perfectly. I am able to see all my shared folders and copy files as I want.
    It turned out I have the same problem for remote desktop connection. I can only connect using the ip address, which works fine.
    Ok then… From my desktop computer I tried to ping the server name and I get 192.168.1.150 back.
    When I browse the network I see all my connected computers including the server, but when I dobbelt-click it I get the same error as I mentioned above.
    I tried to go to my router and look in the DCHP clienttable it all looks good. It finds the server name and the ip matches 192.168.1.150.
    I have tried to restart the router and all computers involved.
    Now I’m at a loss. It all works when using ip address but not when using computer name.
    I could of course hard code the server name and ip in my desktops hosts file but that would be a hack and I would worry that other windows 10 computers would have the same issue. One my other computers still running windows 7 have no problems. It can see the server and browse all folders and files.
    Any ideas ??

:)

HYgTA, Mar 11, 2016

2. Network Scanning Into a Shared Folder with Windows 10

Good Day,

I am in a networked environment using Windows10. We connect to the network via Novell (I have the latest version installed).

What I am not able to do with my computer is scan from a Networked multi-function device (Ricoh Afficio MP5001) to a shared folder on my computer.

I have adjusted all the firewall settings for SMB file and printer sharing. Added the IP address of the device to firewall. I've attempted to scan to the computer name (\\XXXXXX\folder-name) and the IP address (###.###.###.###/folder-name), neither work.

I've added passwords to the address, so that the MFP has the login info...all to no avail. I read that there is an update to resolve this issue, and it has been installed.

I'm at a loss....any ideas?

TimothyNangle, Mar 11, 2016
  3. Thw0rted Win User
    Networking problems on my WM6 phone -- router related?

OK, I actually got somewhere myself -- I set the WINS server to the IP of my desktop PC, and now (after resolving some multihome problems by disabling extra virtual network cards... long story) I can get the name--> IP lookup working. But I still can't
    browse to a network share, so what I thought would fix it must not have been the problem. If I put in \\[PC IP]\[Sharename] *or* \\[PC name]\[Sharename], I get the "Network resource cannot be found or you do not have permission to access the network" error.
    If I just try to browse to \\[PC Name], it takes a while (maybe 30 seconds?) and errors with "The network path was not found". In Resco Explorer, I can't seem to get any entries in "computers near me", and when I type in the share path (either by name or
    IP), it just spins for a while, then gives me pretty much the same error as File Explorer.

So to recap:

My WM6 device can ping my XP SP2 machine (NOT using Simple File Sharing) by both IP and name, but cannot access shares from either the built in File Explorer or Resco.

I feel like I'm just not able to get any *useful* error messages to further diagnose the problem. It's really frustrating, especially since I think using network shares hasn't gotten any easier since my WM2003 Axim almost 5 years ago...

Thw0rted, Mar 11, 2016
Thema:

Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok

1. Not able to access shared folders by using computer name, but ip is ok - Similar Threads - able access shared

2. Cant Access Shared Folders on a Networked Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant Access Shared Folders on a Networked Computer: I am not particularly technical so bear with me......I have 4 PC's all on the same home network. Lets call them Alex, Ben, Charlie and DanAll 4 are updated to the latest version of windows etc. All are set up the same, on the same private network etc.Dan acts a bit like a...
  3. Not able to access the server using the command \\Server but able to access using the IP...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access the server using the command \\Server but able to access using the IP...: Hi;I am having a Windows Server 2003. This is connected to our domain controller which is on Windows server 2012 R2. I am not able to access the server using the command \\SERVERNAME but I am able to access the server using \\IPAddress.When I run the NSLOOKUP command the...
  4. Not able to access the server using the command \\Server but able to access using the IP...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access the server using the command \\Server but able to access using the IP...: Hi;I am having a Windows Server 2003. This is connected to our domain controller which is on Windows server 2012 R2. I am not able to access the server using the command \\SERVERNAME but I am able to access the server using \\IPAddress.When I run the NSLOOKUP command the...
  5. Windows 10 cannot see other computers in "Network", but able to access using IP directly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 cannot see other computers in "Network", but able to access using IP directly: Problem as stated. I'm able to browse shared files from other computer using "\\<ip-address>" directly in File Explorer. But the only "Computer" in "Network" tab is the localhost. Any help?...
  6. Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name

Can connect to pc share using ip address but not the share name: One PC is a laptop and the other one is a desktop. Both are running Windows 10 v1803. The sharing option "Turn on network discovery" for private, public, and guests is checked on both computers. Also checked is "Turn on file and printer sharing". From the laptop, I can...
  7. Not able to access NAS Shared folder

Not able to access NAS Shared folder: Hey, Recently, I reinstalled windows 10, and suddenly, I was not able to access any shared folders located on my NAS. I was able to access other PCs (running windows 10)'s shared folders. Other PCs(running windows 10) are able to acccess the NAS. Can you guys help with...
  8. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  9. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  10. Unable to access the shared folder, but able to map the drive.

Unable to access the shared folder, but able to map the drive.: Hi All, I have an issue, we have one shared drive in DFS concept. we are able to map this drive in Windows 10 machines, but any unable to access the files inside that drive. It is stating that the network path is not available and some times it is displaying as you don't...