Windows 10: Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card

Discus and support Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I decided to upgrade my old Gigabyte board desktop to include NVME SSD -- so I bought a Micro Connections PCI-e NVME card and mounted a Crucial NVME... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark Phelps, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card

I decided to upgrade my old Gigabyte board desktop to include NVME SSD -- so I bought a Micro Connections PCI-e NVME card and mounted a Crucial NVME SSD on it. The problem is that Windows sees it just fine -- so I used Macro Reflect to clone my OS drive to the SSD but when I then rebooted, it booted automatically into the old drive.

So, I checked the SSD using MiniTool Partition Wizard and confirmed all the partitions were there including the boot partition, and apart from that, the other partition were all assigned drive letters.

So, I disconnected all the drives but the SSD and rebooted. Got the error message "No devices found". Went into the BIOS boot menu (PC is too old for UEFI) and there were no drives listed, only an entry for "Bootable Add-in Cards" -- which I thought would work, but evidently did not.

My presumption now is that I will NOT be able to boot from this SSD but I can use it in Windows for storage. I ran SSD benchmarks on it and it is nearly three times faster than my SATA SSDs. I also presume that this is not a drive issue, since Windows sees it but the BIOS apparently, does not.

Anyone have any ideas of anything I can try -- or am I stuck?

:)

Mark Phelps, Oct 17, 2020
  2. shminkie Win User

M2 NVME SSD

So you think it truly is worth it to have windows installed on an M2 NVME SSD instead of installing it on a sata-600 ssd and installing your most important software on the M2 NVME SSD ?

shminkie, Oct 17, 2020
  3. shminkie Win User
    M2 NVME SSD

How much exactly does Windows 10 benefit from being installed on an M2 NVME SSD compared to a SATA-600 SSD ?

Other than a faster boot time, how exactly does windows benefit from the direct connection to the cpu that an NVME SSD offers?

shminkie, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card

m2 nvme ssd removable drive

HohlovAndrew, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card

1. Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card - Similar Threads - able boot NVME

2. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  3. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  4. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Booting from M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from M2 SSD: Hello,I had installed windows 10 on classic SSD and yesterday I bought new M2 SSD, plug in into my PC and install windows 11. I want to unplug the first SSD, but when I do it my PC not boot only Bios startup and I can't use this new M2 for boot. Can u please help with that if...
  6. Booting from M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from M2 SSD: Hello,I had installed windows 10 on classic SSD and yesterday I bought new M2 SSD, plug in into my PC and install windows 11. I want to unplug the first SSD, but when I do it my PC not boot only Bios startup and I can't use this new M2 for boot. Can u please help with that if...
  7. M2 NVME SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M2 NVME SSD: How much exactly does Windows 10 benefit from being installed on an M2 NVME SSD compared to a SATA-600 SSD ? Other than a faster boot time, how exactly does windows benefit from the direct connection to the cpu that an NVME SSD offers?...
  8. How to clone NVMe M2 to Nvme M2 (with single slot in computer) ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone NVMe M2 to Nvme M2 (with single slot in computer) ?: Good Evening Guys, Hope you all good, My computer (ASUS UX563FD) having a single slot Nvme m2 ssd, i would like to clone this to the newly bought larger Nvme m.2 ssd. I don't have Nvme M2 to usb adapter- I am sure still there is option to do that without adapter,Did some...
  9. m2 nvme ssd removable drive

m2 nvme ssd removable drive: Hello, I installed m2 ssd nvme in the m2 port on the motherboard. But it appears in the tray as a portable device with the icon "safely remove devices and disks." The same icon as when you insert a flash card into your usb.asus crosshair VI extremessd adata xpg ssx6000...
  10. Booting From M2.SSD

Booting From M2.SSD: I'm totally confused on this, as I'm old school computers and not this new stuff that is out there. Here's what I know. HP told me that with my Z220 Workstation that if I upgrade the BIOS that I could boot from an M2 SSD. So tonight I looked at my BIOS and saw all my drives...