Windows 10: Not able to boot into Safe mode - it reboots when selecting the option

Discus and support Not able to boot into Safe mode - it reboots when selecting the option in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; (19587.1000 version) So I recently tried to boot into safe mode to uninstall gpu drivers. I usually go via pressing shift button when restarting. If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NickosD, Mar 25, 2020.

1. NickosD Win User

Not able to boot into Safe mode - it reboots when selecting the option

(19587.1000 version)

So I recently tried to boot into safe mode to uninstall gpu drivers. I usually go via pressing shift button when restarting.

If i'm not mistaken, the procedure goes as follows: Pressing the restart button, troubleshoot page shows, select startup menu then continues with restarting the pc and startup settings show and by selecting the safe mode it continues into safe mode.

For me, after I press the restart button, it fully reboots into troubleshoot menu and after choosing startup settings it again fully reboots, and after selecting the safe mode it again reboots into normal mode.

It seems like I'm missing the safe boot partition or whatever.

Things I did:

• I dont have a recovery
    • Tried to download latest fast version and installed via opening the iso in windows environment. Didnt help
    • sfc scannow completes without issues
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth completes successfully
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth goes to 100%
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth goes to 84.9% "The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully."
    • Tried to go via the msconfig. Ended getting stuck at bootloop in which I had to use the " bcdedit /deletevalue {current or default} safeboot " to get out (from troubleshoot page cmd)
    • From troubleshoot options I tried to repair the OS, but it wont finish.

Is there any way to avoid the complete format?

edit: This happened after I installed latest fast ring version. Prior that, I could go into safe mode

Thanks.

:)

NickosD, Mar 25, 2020

2. Selecting F4 or 4 will not let me access Safe mode

Hi,

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

• Are you accessing the startup menu via Windows Settings or by inserting the Media Creation Tool?
    • Have you tried selecting other options in the Startup Menu?

For now, I suggest that you try logging into Safe Mode from the option given below and check.

• Tab on Windows button +R to open Run Command.
    • A dialog box will open type msconfig
    • Locate and select the Boot tab and select Safe with Minimal
      as option.
    • Restart Computer

To return to normal mode, follow the above steps and uncheck Safe, reboot the computer.

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Not able to boot into Safe mode - it reboots when selecting the option

Windows 10 BSOD with mouse; no option to boot to SAFE MODE in Advanced Options

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Also adding to ZigZag3143 (Windows IT Pro MS –MVP) point, you can also check other options from the link below to enter into the Safe Mode.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

To exit from Safe mode follow the steps below:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box.
    • Under Boot tab uncheck the Safe boot
      option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to upgrade Windows 10 by downloading the
    ISO file from the
    Media Creation Tool
    and check if you are able to get the lost
    Windows Recovery Environment options on your PC.

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Not able to boot into Safe mode - it reboots when selecting the option

1. Not able to boot into Safe mode - it reboots when selecting the option - Similar Threads - able boot Safe

2. Within msconfig selected to reboot into safe mode. Now computer will not boot up. Cannot...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Within msconfig selected to reboot into safe mode. Now computer will not boot up. Cannot...: Within msconfig selected to reboot into safe mode. Now computer will not boot up. Cannot even access BIOS. Have windows 10 recovery USB drive but it is not registered by the computer during bootup. Looks like a bad situation. Thanks in advance. System is a Dell XPS...
  3. Not able to login in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to login in safe mode.: Hi, I am not able to login in safe mode. I tried to open safe mode with networking, still not working. When I went to command prompt, it was still asking password. Everytime it is showing password is incorrect. I tried again after changing the password. Still not working....
  4. Screen turns black once an option is selected in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen turns black once an option is selected in safe mode.: I’m trying to reset windows with an installation disk, but when I tried resetting it in settings, my screen froze at 100%. When I try resetting it in safe mode, the screen turns black, and the monitor tells me there’s no signal. I uninstalled the display drivers & tried a...
  5. Screen turns black once an option is selected in safe mode.

Screen turns black once an option is selected in safe mode.: I’m trying to reset windows with an installation disk, but when I tried resetting it in settings, my screen froze at 100%. When I try resetting it in safe mode, the screen turns black, and the monitor tells me there’s no signal. I uninstalled the display drivers & tried a...
  6. Safe Boot option

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Boot option: Accidentally I pressed something in a menu where we can select Safe Boot option. Now, the command prompt keeps booting. I want the normal booting back. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-boot-option/6533ad9f-8598-4bde-89e1-616f7f42c7a5
  7. How do I get into safe mode when my computer says Reboot and select proper boot device?

How do I get into safe mode when my computer says Reboot and select proper boot device?: Hello, Yesterday I was waiting for a game to load, Then the computer said something like "ram error" then shut itself down. When I turned it back on, It said "reboot and select proper boot device. I tried cleaning my ram and checked if my SSD was the first lunch option. It...
  8. Cannot boot into safe mode. When I go to start up repair and select the option for safe...

Cannot boot into safe mode. When I go to start up repair and select the option for safe...: Ok well heres my problem. My ram was faulty and my pc BSOD during a video card driver installation. I know this is the issue so all I need to do is get into safe mode to reinstall. I cannot turn off automatic system restore. I cannot enter safe mode because it infinitely...
  9. Safe Mode Reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe Mode Reboot: Hi Jim here from Elliot Lake Ontario.... 6 hr north of Toronto and 2 hours east of the Soo, Mich Been retired here in the north for 20 years after a career with Bell Canada... in a variety of installation/repair/central office then sales marketing and consulting to outside...
  10. Add Safe Mode to Boot Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Safe Mode to Boot Options in Windows 10: How to: Add Safe Mode to Boot Options in Windows 10 How to Add Safe Mode to Boot Options in Windows 10 If you have a problem with your PC, you can troubleshoot by starting it in safe mode. Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem...