Windows 10: Not able to change where program files are saved

Discus and support Not able to change where program files are saved in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm not able to change where my Program files save location. I've tried multiple tutorials and none of them seem to work. Also this might be linked to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BlenkFace, May 14, 2021.

1. BlenkFace Win User

Not able to change where program files are saved

I'm not able to change where my Program files save location. I've tried multiple tutorials and none of them seem to work. Also this might be linked to the problem; in Registry editor at the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Windows\CurrentVersion thing I don't have alot of files/strings that other people have like ProgramFilesDir, CommonFIlesDir, etc.

:)

BlenkFace, May 14, 2021
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, May 14, 2021
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, May 14, 2021
  4. Not able to change where program files are saved

Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 14, 2021
Thema:

Not able to change where program files are saved

1. Not able to change where program files are saved - Similar Threads - able change where

2. Not able to change where my new apps are saved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not able to change where my new apps are saved: I have Xbox game pass and am trying to download a game and I get an error code when I try to change my default save location. When I click ok to change the location it says files need to be deleted in order to do so. When I click yes on that pop up it says "We couldn't set...
  3. not being able to change where new apps will be saved to

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not being able to change where new apps will be saved to: I am unable to change where new apps will be saved to I keep getting error code 0x80070005 when trying to change where new apps will be saved to...
  4. Where does Windows 10 save files when it is called to and cannot save files to Program...

Where does Windows 10 save files when it is called to and cannot save files to Program...: I am using Windows 10 home, updated as by current updates 28/08/2020. I have a legacy program from prior, pre-7 versions of Windows, HeavyMetalPro, which saves data to the Program Files x86 folder. I had inadvertently not been running it is administration mode apparently...
  5. changing where apps are saved

changing where apps are saved: when I try to download games the option to download in to my hard drive is not working when it redirects me to storage settings and gives me the option to change where content is saved I change apps to my hard drive it then says that I have files from another device on my...
  6. changing where programs get saved on file explorer.

changing where programs get saved on file explorer.: as it stand by default 'Program Files along with 'Program Files(x86) get saved under the 'windows (c:)' drive, how is it/ or is it possible to change there locations to something like say a 'external hard drive (D:) [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows 10: How to change where certain files are saved?

Windows 10: How to change where certain files are saved?: I did a full restart of my laptop a while ago and so everything was reverted back to factory settings, I guess. But for some reason, when I save things like .rar files, it saves them in a weird location (This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Users > Me > AppData > Local > Temp). I want...
  8. change where content is saved

change where content is saved: I install a second hard drive that is recognize be the system, but under "change where content is saved" does not give me the option to choose this drive that is listed as D:. Is formatted as NTFS If I plug an external hard drive I will get the option to saved in it...
  9. Not able to save or open files

Not able to save or open files: Hello everyone . I bought a brand new windows 10 laptop to go along with with a new guitar amplifier I purchased . The amplifier comes with free software to download . The software ( BLACKSTAR INSIDER } is a very valuable tool for downloading amp setting patches that I can...
  10. Not able to save files:

in Windows 10 Support
    Not able to save files:: If I edit a file or anything that I pull out of a folder like a picture, it won't let me save it. Keeps saying I have no rights to that folder, which I have had for years with rights. 17169