Windows 10: Not able to create or modify files.

Discus and support Not able to create or modify files. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been using Apache Open Office software for many months but now if I try to create a new document, windows returns the message "General... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tomacqua, Jul 4, 2020.

1. tomacqua Win User

Not able to create or modify files.

I have been using Apache Open Office software for many months but now if I try to create a new document, windows returns the message "General Input/output error while accessing giving the path file name. If I try to modify an existing document and save it, windows returns the message "File not found". I tried doing the same functions with a WPS software package and got the same results. However, I have no problem using Microsoft's notepad. Can anyone help?

:)

tomacqua, Jul 4, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    Illogical date modified updating

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the modified date is just as important as the created date within the metadata of a given file. We will look into this for you.
    However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the build of Windows 10 running on your system?
    2. Was there any major change or an update on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. Is the issue only with the pictures taken from the camera or the other pictures and files within the system as well?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Method 1: Enable the Date Modified Column in the File Explorer.

To enable the Date modified column within the particular folder, please follow the steps below.

1. Open the Folder in which you wish to see the Date modified column.
    2. Right-click on the
      Header for Name, date, type etc. This will give you a list of columns that can be displayed.
    3. Select the option Date modified, clearing the tick removes that column.
    4. Modify a file and check if it is being reflected in the Date modified column.

If the issue still persists, where you aren’t able to see the value in the Date modified column even after making the changes to the particular file, please follow ‘Method 2’.

Method 2: Create a new user account.

This issue could be due to profile corruption. Hence to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account
    ’ and check if the issue persists.

Note:
    You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Not able to create or modify files.

How to Customize File Sharing Permissions to Create/Modify/Delete FILES... but not FOLDERS?

Hello. I need to customize a shared folder on my network so that one user (Reba) can create, append, modify, delete all FILES within that folder and subfolders... but Reba should not be able to create or delete the FOLDERS.

I've tested various configurations, and the closest I've been able to come is to create
    TWO sets of Advanced permissions for Reba:

1. The first instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "This folders and subfolders,"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Create folders / append data
    • Delete
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

2. The second instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "Files Only:"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Create folders / append data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Delete
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

The above configuration does deny Reba the ability to create folders/subfolders... but ALLOWs her to delete folders (which I do NOT want her to be able to do).

DMGonzalez-Web, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

Not able to create or modify files.

1. Not able to create or modify files. - Similar Threads - able create modify

2. Zip files being created or modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Zip files being created or modified: Ok, so normally when I download a zip file, or even create one myself, it shows up as simply a ZIP file. I am then able to extract it by just right clicking and clicking extract, with no input from any other applications. Recently, however, whenever a ZIP file is created or...
  3. Zip files being created or modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Zip files being created or modified: Ok, so normally when I download a zip file, or even create one myself, it shows up as simply a ZIP file. I am then able to extract it by just right clicking and clicking extract, with no input from any other applications. Recently, however, whenever a ZIP file is created or...
  4. Zip files being created or modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files created and saved on NAS can't be modified afterwards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files created and saved on NAS can't be modified afterwards: Error: The document could not be saved. The file may be read only, or opened by another user. Please save the document with a different name. Problem: Created the document and saved it to the NAS. If I close the program that created it and then reopen the file a minute later,...
  6. Files created and saved on NAS can't be modified afterwards

Files created and saved on NAS can't be modified afterwards: Error: The document could not be saved. The file may be read only, or opened by another user. Please save the document with a different name. Problem: Created the document and saved it to the NAS. If I close the program that created it and then reopen the file a minute later,...
  7. Files created and saved on NAS can't be modified afterwards

8. File created 2022 File Modified 2011

File created 2022 File Modified 2011: Hello. This year I recorded some songs on an external device. I uploaded them onto my computer this summer. However it says that the files were created in June 2022 correct but the files were modified in 2011. How on earth can this be? How can songs or files which were only...
  9. File created 2022 File Modified 2011

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File created 2022 File Modified 2011: Hello. This year I recorded some songs on an external device. I uploaded them onto my computer this summer. However it says that the files were created in June 2022 correct but the files were modified in 2011. How on earth can this be? How can songs or files which were only...
  10. File created 2022 File Modified 2011