Windows 10: Not able to enter any key except i,tab and caps lock on Windows 10 Startup password box

Discus and support Not able to enter any key except i,tab and caps lock on Windows 10 Startup password box in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi All, I am not able to enter any keys in password box of windows 10 except i,caps lock and tab. I tried running on screen keyboard to solve this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Utkarsh Thakare, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Not able to enter any key except i,tab and caps lock on Windows 10 Startup password box

Hi All,

I am not able to enter any keys in password box of windows 10 except i,caps lock and tab.

I tried running on screen keyboard to solve this issue but typing on on screen keyboard did nit populate any thing in the password box.

I am also not able to populate the three options for restart sleep and shudown on clicking power button on startup screen.

I went to advanced startup screen by holding down power key on keyboard in between the windows 10 loading screen twice.

In advanced troubleshooting option I could not recover the pc as needed password which i couldnt enter there too due to this isuue.

Safe mode didnt help either as this issue persisted there too.

I tried opening a command prompt in troubleshoot advanced options and found out that each key was pressed with ctrl key held down even though it wasnt.

Could anyone please help me with this issue?

This issue has happened before but used to get resolves by itself but now it has been happening to me for two weeks.

Note: I dont think the problem is with keyboard as the on screen keyboard and usb keyaboard both could nit resolve this issue.for me.

Thanks!

:)

Utkarsh Thakare, Sep 9, 2018

2. Windows Startup password

Is it possible to remove a startup password without being able to log into the system? A friend's laptop just prompt her today for a password that she never enabled. Now, she does have a standard user account password, but that doesn't work for the startup password. She had the computer for about a year now and it has never asked for a startup password until today.

I tried to use Hiren Boot CD to run a diagnostic on the laptop, but it has a bsod. Windows 10 normal boot crashes as well

GoFigureItOut, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Disable Caps Lock on Windows 10?

The below does not disable CAPS LOCK; instead it converts CAPS LOCK into SHIFT LOCK.

• Right-click Start
    • Choose Control Panel.
    • Under Clock, Language and Region, choose
      Change input methods.
    • On the left, choose
      Advanced Settings.
    • Near the bottom, click on
      Change language bar hot keys (this is a blue link)
    • On the Advanced Key Settings tab, select Press the Shift key
      radio button.
    • Click OK, then Save
    After this change:

• You press the CAPS LOCK key puts the keyboard in all-caps mode
    • You press the SHIFT key to turn off CAPS LOCK and exit all-caps mode.
      • Note that pressing CAPS LOCK again
        will not turn off CAPS LOCK; only by pressing either SHIFT key will CAPS LOCK turn off.
    This is similar behavior to how the SHIFT LOCK key works on typewriters.

blackeneth, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Not able to enter any key except i,tab and caps lock on Windows 10 Startup password box

Caps Lock notification removal

If the previous steps did not apply to your scenario, you may turn off the caps lock notification by deselecting a service in
    System Configuration called QLC Controller Service. Below are the steps to do so:

• Press Windows + R on your keyboard.
    • Type msconfig in the Run box.
    • Go to Startup or Services tab.
    • End or uncheck the QLC Controller service.
    • Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Let us know if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

Not able to enter any key except i,tab and caps lock on Windows 10 Startup password box

1. Not able to enter any key except i,tab and caps lock on Windows 10 Startup password box - Similar Threads - able enter key

2. Tab key is triggering the caps lock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tab key is triggering the caps lock: hi folks, my tab key is triggering the caps lock , recently I downgraded the os from windows 11 to windows 10, still facing the same issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tab-key-is-triggering-the-caps-lock/ebe05509-9b45-469e-bcf8-6d04393fa0be
  3. Tab key is triggering the caps lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tab key is triggering the caps lock: hi folks, my tab key is triggering the caps lock , recently I downgraded the os from windows 11 to windows 10, still facing the same issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tab-key-is-triggering-the-caps-lock/ebe05509-9b45-469e-bcf8-6d04393fa0be
  4. Tab key is triggering the caps lock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. caps lock key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    caps lock key: Hi, after win 11 pro update the visual mode of my caps lock and num lock keypad doesn't work, i tried everything again but it doesn't work. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-key/9272a23b-a780-4442-abd3-c66017b299b6
  6. caps lock key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    caps lock key: Hi, after win 11 pro update the visual mode of my caps lock and num lock keypad doesn't work, i tried everything again but it doesn't work. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-key/9272a23b-a780-4442-abd3-c66017b299b6
  7. Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working

Left shift key, caps lock, and tab key not working: so basically im on my laptop and after an update i couldnt use left shift, tab, caps lock and windows key not working i already did go to safe mode, reset my pc over windows and usb stick and watched 1000 tutorials and still cant figure out what happend. Also i did go to bios...
  8. Not able to enter password

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Not able to enter password: Hi,I am able to switch on my laptop. As soon as the lock screen option appears, it gets stuck. That is, I do not get an option to enter my password or to shut down again. My laptop is literally stuck with the lockscreen wallpaper....
  9. Caps Lock key

Caps Lock key: My caps lock key isn't working when pressed. It's a Laptop and I've attached an external keyboard and it doesn't work on there either. Things I've tried: 1 re-writing the registry for caps lock by forcing it off and then back on. 2 re-map the key to another key still...
  10. Caps Lock Key

Caps Lock Key: HI, my caps lock key on my laptop is acting strange. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. Sometimes it doesn't work in Word, but does on the internet, but I can't turn it off. I plugged in another keyboard into my laptop, and it still didn't work, so it's not a problem with the...