Windows 10: Not able to get Task Manager to auto start on boot

Discus and support Not able to get Task Manager to auto start on boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just did upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, from Windows 7 Pro. Would like task manager to start on boot in case of program hanging. 1) I go to settings,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by diverjer, May 19, 2019.

1. diverjer Win User

Not able to get Task Manager to auto start on boot

Just did upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, from Windows 7 Pro. Would like task manager to start on boot in case of program hanging.

1) I go to settings, apps, startup and have turned it on and that doesn't work. This seems like the correct and simple way- it just didn't work.

2) I have used explore and put a shortcut for task manager in c:/users/jer/appdata/roaming/microsoft/windows/start menu/programs/startup (there wasn't one already there) and that don't work. Tested the shortcut with my own double click and shortcut is valid and works on a double click, just not on startup.

3) Have used shell:startup which goes to same place as #2

4) Have put in what I think would be All Users shell:common startup that doesn't work. Windows 10 explore doesn't show Appdata under All User like 7, but I believe common startup is the same. But this change does put two entries in settings,apps,startup which I enabled both and sometimes one, no combinations work on reboot.

:)

diverjer, May 19, 2019

2. Can't open start menu, cortana, nor the task manager after creators update.

Hi Anna,

Since you mentioned that you're experiencing issues with the Start menu, Cortana and Task Manager, we may need to do several troubleshooting procedures.

For our first procedure, could you please try to right-click the Start
    menu, select Task Manager and check if you are able to access it. If you are still not able to access the Task Manager, try to press
    Windows Key+R from your keyboard and type "Task Manager" on the run command and check if you are able to access it.

If you're able to access the Task Manager, please follow the steps and check if the steps help to fix the Task Manager:

• Open Task Manager.
    • Click on the Details tab.
    • Right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End task.
    • Right-click on the File at the upper left part.
    • Select Run new task and type explorer.exe and click Ok.

To troubleshoot the Start menu and Cortana, we suggest that you carefully follow the workaround provided by
    Andre Da Costa, dated last October 17, 2017, on this thread.

We are eager on getting this resolved for you, we will wait for your feedback.

Lawrence Lib, May 19, 2019
  3. dotmarty Win User
    Windows 10 - cannot add exec to Startup in Task Manager

I purchased a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. I am trying to add an exec to the startup list but Win10 will not accept it. The exec runs successfully on my Windows 10 machine if I start it manually.

Steps I've taken: Task Manager, Startup Tab, File>Run New Task. (browse to location, select.) It will start immediately, but does not show up on the list to autostart, nor does it start on reboot.

Any suggestions?

dotmarty, May 19, 2019
  4. Not able to get Task Manager to auto start on boot

How to add Task Manager to Start-up items

Thanks. I removed the malware and the system is clean.

How can I start the Task Manger in the windows 10 start up. The TM icon/shortcut don't startup. All other programs start up, when windows boot.

To add a program to the Start-up items, you may do the following steps:

• Search for Task Manager using Cortana.
    • Once the results show Task Manager, right-click on it and select
      Pin to Start.
    • The Task Manager is now added to your Start-up applications.

Let us know how it goes.

Christian Mart, May 19, 2019
Thema:

Not able to get Task Manager to auto start on boot

1. Not able to get Task Manager to auto start on boot - Similar Threads - able Task Manager

2. Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?: Ive recently got myself a new NVMe 2.0 SSD Samsung 980 and ive installed windows on it. But for whatever reason it doesnt boot. SSD is visible and Windows is downloaded on it Confirmed due to missing space on the SSD after download. What i noticed is that there is no Windows...
  3. Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?: Ive recently got myself a new NVMe 2.0 SSD Samsung 980 and ive installed windows on it. But for whatever reason it doesnt boot. SSD is visible and Windows is downloaded on it Confirmed due to missing space on the SSD after download. What i noticed is that there is no Windows...
  4. Start Menu, Taskbar, and Task Manager not working on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu, Taskbar, and Task Manager not working on boot: Hi, I'm having an issue with the start menu, task bar, and task manager. I don't know what is the issue, usually at the start up the task bar icon will show up but now it does not even show up. Even worse every time I move my cursor to the taskbar the cursor changes into...
  5. Start in task manager- is it safe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start in task manager- is it safe: It does not show me the file location or publisher. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-in-task-manager-is-it-safe/ae75346d-426a-488c-8662-bc3014700d0c
  6. Task manager disables on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager disables on boot: Hi guys, I am facing the following problem. On every boot, I get the message of giving permission to the Registry Editor to make changes on my device. On giving the permission, it disables the task manager. If I do not permit, then it goes into safe mode. To enable the Task...
  7. "Start" task in task-manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Start" task in task-manager: I want to ask if this task in the task-manager runs a malicious .exe file. File path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Start\MenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe I read on the Internet that this is either safe or evil and I don't know if I...
  8. application still auto start even after disabled in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    application still auto start even after disabled in task manager: I followed a the tutorial provided in this forum by disabling application auto startup at the task manager, but the application that I disable still tend to auto start after a few minutes and interrupt my task i.e.: windscribe. so is there any way to fully disable an...
  9. Task Manager no longer auto starting in 2004

Task Manager no longer auto starting in 2004: Like the subject says. In previous versions of windows 10 the task manager performance tab would automatically start when windows starts. But that's not happening anymore since I upgraded to 2004. Any ideas? submitted by /u/micstatic80 [link] [comments]...
  10. Open Task Manager on Boot

Open Task Manager on Boot: Is there a way to open the Task Manager on boot? I was able to open Edge on boot by putting it in the shell:startup folder from the run menu, but every time I added the Task Manager shortcut in there it either won't work, or it will tell me that I don't have enough elevation...