Windows 10: Not able to install new ISO on SSD

Discus and support Not able to install new ISO on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Basically, I got fed up with the daily problems from doing an "upgrade" from Win8.1 to Win10TP 32-bit and decided to install afresh from the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Phelps, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Not able to install new ISO on SSD

Basically, I got fed up with the daily problems from doing an "upgrade" from Win8.1 to Win10TP 32-bit and decided to install afresh from the latest ISO. Since I have a 64-bit processor and 8GB of memory (now) I thought I'd try the 64-bit version.

Booted from the USB stick, chose Install, clicked next, saw the drive with the formatted NTFS primary partition (empty) for Win10 and select that ...

And got the dreaded "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. See the setup log files".

OK...

So, I removed the partition, leaving an unallocated drive, and using the "New" icon, created a new one. That appeared to go OK. Selected it -- and got the same error message again!

Went through the same stuff with the 32-bit version -- same sequence, same error messages.

So, I have two questions:
    1) When you're in the installer, how do you look at the setup log files to see the detail messages?
    2) What is the "secret" to installing Win10 on an SSD? (Note, I had Win8 install just fine to this same SSD (Crucial 120GB) and move Win8.1 to a larger SSD when I bought a new one. So, I know this SSD works OK.

I ran into this same bunch of problems with the original Win10TP install -- which is why I ended up cloning Win8.1 to this SSD and then doing an "upgrade". But this time, I want to do a clean install.

Can anyone help?

:)

Mark Phelps, Dec 15, 2014

2. Windows 10 fresh install on new drive?

I want to do a fresh install when Windows 10 comes out, but on a new drive, because I plan on getting an SSD. Will I be able to get an ISO to install onto a new drive, or does the upgrade have to happen on top of your existing version?

Nemesis1598, Dec 15, 2014
  3. john3220 Win User
    Is Windows RE used in Windows 10?

If I perform a clean install using a Win 10 ISO DVD on the SSD, will the install place a Recovery Partition on that drive? I would then re-run the migration software from the old HDD to recover files and apps. Currently I was able to get Windows RE on
    the new SSD to find the recovery software in the Recovery Partition located on the old HDD.

john3220, Dec 15, 2014
  4. Ztruker Win User

Not able to install new ISO on SSD

Delete all partitions, DO NOT create a new one, let the installer create what it needs.

See if that works.

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2014
  5. Does not work -- already tried that.

What DOES work is the following:
    - Boot using install media, select Repair, not Install
    - Select Troubleshooting --> Advanced options --> Command prompt
    - Enter: diskpart
    - Enter: list disk
    - Enter: select disk <x> where x=disk# (0 - n) of the target disk in the list
    - Enter: clean
    - Enter: create partition primary
    - Enter: active
    - Enter: format fs=ntfs quick
    - Enter: assign
    - Enter: exit
    - Enter: exit
    - Shut down and reboot

Then, when the partition selection screen comes up, the installation will proceed.

Mark Phelps, Dec 15, 2014
  6. adamf Win User
    Can also be if your disk if MBR or GPT and the installer is expecting the other. You may need to add convert gpt or convert mbr into your diskpart steps.

adamf, Dec 15, 2014
  7. Kari Win User
    I've had this issue in quite a many vm installations. There's an easy workaround, works at least on virtual machine installations.

When in partitioning dialog to select which partition to use, delete all partitions on disk 0 (if other disks present you don't have to delete partitions on them), then click the Close button:

Not able to install new ISO on SSD [​IMG]

Accept with Yes:

Again, click Close:

PC will reboot now, let it boot from the install media, when selecting the install location select the disk 0 which is now completely unallocated and click Next:

Should start installing now. If you do not want to use whole disk for system you can later shrink it in Disk Management.

(Screenshots from Hyper-V vm installation.)

8. WHS
    whs Win User

Neat trick Kari. You are always ahead of the curve.

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think the boot partition needs to be ACTIVE for it to boot if you are creating partitions manually. Switch off PROTECTED BOOT if you have a machine that's using it. You CAN leave UEFI on if you want to. So when using DISKPART add the command ACTIVE after you've created your primary partition. Windows install when then jig around all the other stuff.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 16, 2014
  10. wildchill Win User
    I strangely got this dreaded error too while installing Windows 10 Pro (32bit and 64bit) final edition.

Turns out it was because of my USB Flash drive ! ! !

What i found was Win 10 Preview edition installed ok.
    But Win 10 final edition just refused to install on any laptop/desktop, even after trying everything from pre-OS AHCI drivers and changing BIOS settings.

I then eventually realised that the only difference was the USB flash drives i used !

If I used my Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive, i would always get that dreaded error when it tried to create the partitions.
    But if i used my cheapo Sandisk Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 drive, Win 10 would install perfectly without issues !

Windows 10

wildchill, Aug 13, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    Judging by the highlighted part in below quote you let the Media Creation Tool create a USB install media containing both bit versions, 32 bit and 64 bit:

If this is a case and if installing Windows 10 on a PC with 32 bit architecture, there might be a natural and logical reason why Windows installation fails. Here's a screenshot of the boot screen when the install media contains both bit versions:

Notice that the 64 bit version is default, on top and selected. Also notice that without user interaction, the default (64 bit) installer will be automatically started in 30 seconds (in the screenshot 12 seconds already gone, 18 left). Simply, if the user has 32 bit hardware and do not manually select 32 bit installer on this screen allowing the 64 bit installer start automatically after 30 seconds, or if the user presses Enter here without selecting the 32 bit installer first, the 64 bit installer will be run. Of course it will fail on 32 bit machines, a 64 bit Windows cannot be installed on 32 bit hardware.

12. wildchill Win User
    Yes Kari, you definitely can Not install 64bit Windows on 32bit architecture.

If you were wondering if that was my mistake, then No, all the machines Ive tested on were x64 (eg Core 2 Duo ... AtomN450.... Core i5).

If the 64bit installer was to be run on a legacy 32bit machine, the installer would Not even get as far as starting the GUI.

Anyway, Ive tried the 32bit installer as well, and it too fails with that dreaded error message at the partitioning stage.

wildchill, Aug 13, 2015
  13. Kelemvor Win User

I've had this error with multiple OSes and each time it's because I'm booting from a USB3 flash drive. When I switch and use a USB2 drive, everything works just fine. Just had it happen again now with Windows 10. Upgrading from the flash drive works fine. Booting from it gives the partition error.

Kelemvor, Oct 9, 2015
  14. Berton Win User
    I've run into the issue and it was because the BIOS supports USB 2.0 but the OS supports USB 3.0, no OS with drivers = no support for booting. They may be available but I've not seen a motherboard with a BIOS that natively supports USB 3.0, not even mine.

Berton, Oct 9, 2015
  15. I have a Samsung Series 7 Laptop.
    I am trying to install Win 10 onto a new Samsung EVO 850 SSD.
    I had Win 10 running on this computer previously.
    I created the media drive on a new 8GB SanDisk cruzer.
    I have tried all methods in this thread to attempt to get this installed but i keep getting the same "we couldn't create a new partition..." message.
    I have tried the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports with the media on the new flash drive and an old 4GB thumb drive. Same message.
    I have deleted the partition and tried to allow Windows to do it. Same message.
    I tried the "repair" method. Same message.
    I tried formatting it in the install process, same message.
    I tried creating a 150GB partition, same message.
    I don't know what to do.

If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Keith

NitroBobby, Nov 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Not able to install new ISO on SSD - Similar Threads - able install ISO

2. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  3. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  4. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing new SSD: I think I may have done something stupid and I'm hoping someone might have a solution to help me! My daughter's Lenovo laptop had an HDD and was running terribly slowly and causing problems when she tried to do her homework. I bought a Scandisk SSD, followed a YouTube...
  6. Installing new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing new SSD: I think I may have done something stupid and I'm hoping someone might have a solution to help me! My daughter's Lenovo laptop had an HDD and was running terribly slowly and causing problems when she tried to do her homework. I bought a Scandisk SSD, followed a YouTube...
  7. new install on new ssd,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    new install on new ssd,: is there a way to delete just the windows files on my old ssd or am i going to have to format my old ssd to get rid of the old installation? submitted by /u/traveler9001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hxhkz5/new_install_on_new_ssd/
  8. Will a DVD ISO work with new SSD install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will a DVD ISO work with new SSD install?: Hello I have an hp G60-447CL notebook which I just purchased a Crucial 525G SSD for and I am trying to make sure that the DVD ISO I made using windows will reinstall windows on my new SSD after I change it out. I know about cloning my hard drive but I am not interested in...
  9. Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?

Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?: Hi All, A few days ago I got a new Win8.1 laptop that I smoothly upgraded to Win10. This laptop now shows as being registered with Microsoft. I just now purchased a 250GB SSD that will arrive in a week or so. I want to install Win10 on this new drive. A friend just gave me a...
  10. Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?

Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?: My Win7.1-64 system is very old and I need to do a clean install of Win10. My current Win7 is installed on an old SSD so I decided to get a new one, which I now have. My plan was to create a Win10 ISO flash drive, replace my current SSD boot drive with the new one, and do...