Windows 10: Not able to install Windows 10 retail USB on new build

Discus and support Not able to install Windows 10 retail USB on new build in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just put together a new build and I'm not able to install Windows 10 from an official retail USB. I have an ASUS Z270F Gaming motherboard. I am able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Shakez, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Shakez Win User

Not able to install Windows 10 retail USB on new build

I just put together a new build and I'm not able to install Windows 10 from an official retail USB. I have an ASUS Z270F Gaming motherboard. I am able to boot from USB. Once I do I get this screen: https://i.imgur.com/dhtKdYb.jpg

After I choose 64bit it loads files for a while and then this happens: https://i.imgur.com/2tS2c5y.jpg

File: winload.efi
    Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors

I've tried everything I can think off and am out of options. I really hope someone can help me with this.

:)

Shakez, Jul 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 retail USB installation stick

Is there a way to obtain a new firmware image tool for the Windows 10 retail USB installation stick to update it to build 14393? This USB stick is firmware locked in read-only mode and contains the original build 10240.

KeithWeisshar, Jul 28, 2017
  3. Kanzed Win User
    Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade

Later this year I will be building a new computer, I have a retail version of Windows 7 Which was installed on my currant computer before the update to Windows 10, My question is will I be able to use the retail version of Windows 7 on my new computer if
    it's uninstalled from my currant computer and will be able to upgrade to Windows 10? or will I need to buy a retail version of Windows 10?

Kanzed, Jul 28, 2017
  4. Not able to install Windows 10 retail USB on new build

Hi Shakez. Welcome to the TenForums @Shakez

Did you set secure boot and Fast Boot to disable in the BIOS?

Our clean install tutorial.

Clean Install Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  5. Shakez Win User
    Hi Caledon Ken. Thanks for you reply.

Yes secure boot and fast boot are both disabled but didn't make a difference unfortunately.

Shakez, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Did you let windows initialize and partition disk or did you pre-initialize? If you did, did you choose GPT or MBR?

I would imaging you are wanting to boot UEFI, correct? Is BIOS set that way?

Since this is a new build did you run any kind of tests like Memtest86 to ensure you can boot?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Saltgrass Win User
    On a new system you don't need to turn off Secure boot.

When you boot to the USB there should be an option to select the UEFI version. This is only available with a 64 bit OS.

I have not used one of the retail USB install drives so not completely sure what options it offers but what options does the boot device menu give..?

Saltgrass, Jul 29, 2017
  8. Shakez Win User

Thank you for your answers. I managed to solve this by using my own created USB media instead the retail one.

The whole problem with the retail usb was that it wouldn't boot to setup at all but instead it goes to the OS selection menu. Makes no sense to me and I think it's just silly that the retail USB didn't work. Only thing I didn't try was using USB 2 port instead USB 3 as my pc doesn't have one externally. But I doubt that would have fixed it.

Thank you for all the help! Spread the word if you see others struggling with this issue. *Smile

Shakez, Jul 29, 2017
  9. Excellent news. Agree the retail should be higher quality.

Please mark your thread solved, it will help attract others with same problem and they will find your solution.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Not able to install Windows 10 retail USB on new build - Similar Threads - able install retail

2. Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build: I built a Windows 10 PC several years ago and purchased a retail license. Now that PC cannot be updated to Windows 11. Can I purchase a Windows 10 OEM license and remove the retail license from this PC and install the OEM license without doing a complete reinstall? I would...
  3. Not able to transfer Retail Windows 10 to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to transfer Retail Windows 10 to new PC: My ancient laptop originally came with OEM Windows 7 Home. Later I got a Retail Windows 7 Pro on it. Later I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, which is currently activated on this laptop with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. 'slmgr /dli' command shows "Retail" FYI....
  4. Not able to transfer Retail Windows 10 to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to transfer Retail Windows 10 to new PC: My ancient laptop originally came with OEM Windows 7 Home. Later I got a Retail Windows 7 Pro on it. Later I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, which is currently activated on this laptop with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. 'slmgr /dli' command shows "Retail" FYI....
  5. Not able to transfer Retail Windows 10 to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. Windows 7 Full Retail to new Windows 10 Build?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Full Retail to new Windows 10 Build?: Hi, I purchased Windows 7 Full Retail and upgraded to Windows 10. However, that machine just crashed and will not boot anymore. Can I use my original Windows 7 disc on a new machine and then upgrade it to Windows 10?...
  7. Windows 7 Full Retail to new Windows 10 Build?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Full Retail to new Windows 10 Build?: Hi, I purchased Windows 7 Full Retail and upgraded to Windows 10. However, that machine just crashed and will not boot anymore. Can I use my original Windows 7 disc on a new machine and then upgrade it to Windows 10?...
  8. Windows 7 Full Retail to new Windows 10 Build?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. New PC build new window usb not installing

New PC build new window usb not installing: Built my son a new gaming pc, have done a few of these but brand new windows usb install key wont install, will make a new key but hoping issue is fixable as new key not cheap...
  10. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop: Boot priority is set to Windows 10 USB first, SSD second Tried in 3.0 and 2.0 ports (switched to legacy options) Select 64 bit Initial install screen shows then computer reboots. No video card or optical drive hooked up Ethernet plugged in Any and all suggestions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. instal win 10 from retail usb