Windows 10: Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

Discus and support Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, I have 2 Dell Alienware PC's. Both are running on Windows10Pro 64 BIT. One is a laptop and the other one is a Desktop. Both systems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by amangill0172, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

Hi All,

I have 2 Dell Alienware PC's. Both are running on Windows10Pro 64 BIT. One is a laptop and the other one is a Desktop. Both systems areconnected to the same and only network and not any domain whatsoever.

The problem is, when I try to create a Homegroup on machine#1 (Laptop), it won't be recognized on the machine#2 (Desktop) and vice versa.I have an Linksys WiFi extender so, I have disabled the WiFi relay of the actual router itself just to avoid the confusion.

Troubleshooting steps as taken are:-
    1) Double checked the machines are on the same network.
    2) Disabled and detached the Wifi extender and connected both the machines to the routers Wifi directly.
    3) Have checked the network sharing is on both the machines in turned on.

4) Services for the "Home group listener", "Home group provider", "Peer network grouping" & "Peer name resolution protocol" is turned on and set to automatic on

both the machines.

5) IPv6 is checked on the network properties on both the machines (not sure if that helps or not).
    6) Did a network reset on both the machines.

7) Double checked the BIOS version up to date.

8) Double checked the network latest drivers on both the machines both are up to date.

9) Have disabled the McAfee antivirus firewalls on both the computers.

I have tried every possiblething I was aware off. Would appreciate a help on this matter.

Thanks,
    Aman Gill.

:)

amangill0172, Aug 22, 2017
  2. AngiePM Win User

Windows can't set up Homegroup on this computer

Not able to join my Homegroup on my Surface Pro 3. Using Windows 10 on my laptop and was able to setup Home group with no problem.

AngiePM, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Jim Craft Win User
    Homegroup for 3 Windows 10 Pro Computers

I just upgraded my 2 desktops to Windows 10 Pro. I also have a laptop which earlier (about 2 months ago) was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I set up a homegroup from my primary desktop. I was able to join the homegroup from the other desktop, and I'm able to
    share files as desired. (I never had any issues with printers.) But when I try to join the homegroup from the laptop, I get an error message: "Windows can't set up a homegroup on this computer."

I've tried calling Windows 10 technical support, but after holding for an hour I gave up. Does anyone have suggestions? Why should the laptop balk at joining the homegroup when the second desktop had no problems?

Thanks

Jim Craft, Aug 22, 2017
  4. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

Hi Aman. Welcome to the TenForums @amangill0172

You are likely doing everything right and are experience a known issue with Homegroups that is occurring in V1703.

You didn't say, and just to cover the bases please ensure wireless networks are not set as public.

That said this thread may give you some solutions regarding the Master Browser. I drop you in a certain post, it might be good to start at beginning.

Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN

Of course I've made the assumption you are on V1703 on both machines. Please confirm.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 22, 2017
  5. @Caledon Ken:- Hello Ken,

Thanks for your swift reply *Smile. Yes, you assumed it right. I'm running Windows 10 Pro at V1703 (OS Build 15063.540). I have double checked it on both the machines, wireless network has been set to Private Network as well.

Has to be a glitch with this creators update. Will go through the link now and will keep you posted.

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

Aman Gill.
    *Smile

amangill0172, Aug 26, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Aug 26, 2017
  7. @bro67- It is my bad that I forgot to mention that I already have executed a "Network Reset" on both machines which includes the troubleshooting which is mentioned on the link which you have mentioned. Nevertheless, I still went ahead and did it again exactly in the way it is described, still it's a NO GO.

amangill0172, Aug 27, 2017
  8. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

Okay lets try these four commands to reset some of the items I don't think Network reset resets.

Before doing remove any homegroups you established, please. Rerun network reset on each device. Then these commands on each devices.

Run the following four bolded commands. Use a Command Prompt(admin)
    Do not key in info in brackets, there for your information.

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Power off router, Reboot both devices, power on router.

In file explorer can you see the other device? Hopefully yes. Create a homegroup on desktop. On laptop attempt to join that homegroup.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 28, 2017
  9. @Caledon Ken:- I have executed everything precisely, in the way you asked. It still is a NO GO. Wonder what might be the issue?

amangill0172, Sep 6, 2017
  10. Ouch. Rather than use homegroups have you just tried sharing using network credentials.

Basically you would use accounts and passwords to log in to machines instead of homegroups. You see the option in Advance Sharing Settings.

Do you have another router that you could use for testing? I would leave existing router in place but would connect one port to the WLAN port on your spare. Assuming they are not using the same ip range this should build a unique network. Then connect devices to it and see if they share.

Caledon Ken, Sep 7, 2017
  11. @Caledon Ken: I have even used Netgear X10 R9000 as a router and still nothing has changed. Matter of fact all are using the SAME IP Range starting from 192.168.XXX.XX. Even tried pinging them. Sometimes they do ping each other sometimes they do NOT.

Using network credentials, seems to be working fine. HOMEGROUP, no go*Sad

amangill0172, Sep 7, 2017
  12. Unfortunately I think you are stuck with network credentials.

There can be a long discussion as to whether it is Homegroups, Creators Update, Network Protocols or the makers of Routers but something is not right and us mere mortals will have to wait until it is fixed. Hopefully with the next version this fall.

I would be sure to use the feedback app to log your concerns with MS.

Wish I knew exactly what is wrong, I don't. Maybe another member has better insight.

Caledon Ken, Sep 7, 2017
  13. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

@Caledon Ken: I agree, that Networking is a vast subject. Won't be afraid to call it a guinea pig. This however, is an over-the-top issue. I have a notion that one day, having a glass full of sherry in my hand I surely will be able to solve this riddle. Just until that day.....

I appreciate all your efforts and your swift responsiveness on this matter. Thank you a lot for that *Smile

amangill0172, Sep 7, 2017
  14. Thank you. They will fix it, the question is when.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

1. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro - Similar Threads - able join HOMEGROUP

2. Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10: I have a new Windows 10 computer, and I'm trying to join the existing homegroup in my home (which currently includes Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop), but to no avail. I tried to follow the instructions written by Shawn Brink in this forum: Open File Explorer,...
  3. where is windows10 HomeGroup password

where is windows10 HomeGroup password: can not find windows10 HomeGroup password ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-windows10-homegroup-password/875555a8-6e47-4fd6-9ebd-b69ad72575a7
  4. Joining a HomeGroup

Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  5. About Homegroup Joining/creating Option

About Homegroup Joining/creating Option: hi ! I created homegroup from windows 7 , and wanted to join from windows 10 home , but I could not see any option of Homegroup to join or create in Windows 10 , but Pc in the Network was visible and opened too. But shared folder could not be opened. The shared Printer...
  6. Unable to Join HomeGroup

Unable to Join HomeGroup: Hello everyone. I set up a homegroup years ago.. and had it set to two computers linked up and ready to go. Now we moved, got new everything and trying to set it up again but its showing my old homegroup. I can ether click on (Change Adv Settings) or Troubleshoot. Also...
  7. Laptop not able to join the homegroup on my desktop computer

Laptop not able to join the homegroup on my desktop computer: My desktop is set up for a homegroup in windows 10. When I try to set up my laptop it reads " detected a homegroup" and there is a join tab. When the join tab is clicked it states that a homegroup is not detected. The laptop is set up on the network so what is the problem?...
  8. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...
  9. Cannot join HomeGroup

Cannot join HomeGroup: I have two computers, my desktop and my laptop which is a Lenovo T520 Thinkpad. My laptop is connected to a D-Link Smart switch via Cat 7 which is connected to my router as well as my desktop. I originally created a Home group on my desktop and then went to Home group on my...
  10. Join Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Join Homegroup in Windows 10: How to: Join Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to...