Windows 10: Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

Discus and support Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Brahmtej Sawhney, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says the following→ You need permission to perform this actioni tried it with a bunch of tested pendrives and no one worked in my pc, but connecting a device like my camera or phone to transfer files works normali saw event viewer and didnt find anythingi tried setting some stuff in the properties > security area.. sometimes i

:)

Brahmtej Sawhney, Mar 31, 2023
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 31, 2023
  3. Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Mar 31, 2023
  4. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Mar 31, 2023
Thema:

Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

1. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive - Similar Threads - able Paste delete

2. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  3. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  4. Deleting files from external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting files from external USB hard drive: This Windows 11 is something else. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do. But the damage is done.I am trying to delete some folders and all files on an external usb drive. The system is telling me I need administrator permission to do this. What am I supposed to do....
  5. Deleting files from external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting files from external USB hard drive: This Windows 11 is something else. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do. But the damage is done.I am trying to delete some folders and all files on an external usb drive. The system is telling me I need administrator permission to do this. What am I supposed to do....
  6. files on external hard drive deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files on external hard drive deleted: Hi, I have accidentally deleted files on an external hard drive after downloading a copy of windows 10 on to it.I have used easus data recovery software to try and find the files which it says it has. i now have the problem where I believe the hard drive has been formatted so...
  7. NOT ABLE TO COPY PASTE OR DELETE OR MOVE MY FILE.

NOT ABLE TO COPY PASTE OR DELETE OR MOVE MY FILE.: Hello there! I am stuck in a bit of tangle here, I did a mistake of changing my Drive Letters i.e. say from 'E' to "A", I dont remember exactly but now I am facing severe problem of unable to access my video file or even move or copy it to some other location or even...
  8. deleting files from external hard drive

deleting files from external hard drive: trying to delete and getting error code 0*80070570, what does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-from-external-hard-drive/8390b5f9-4abf-4ff3-aa8d-29caf58d76e1"
  9. Attaching external drive and not able to open files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Attaching external drive and not able to open files: I have attached an external hard drive to my laptop and although the computer recognizes the new device (it pops up under "devices and printers"), I am not seeing where I can actually access the folders that are in the hard drive. It will let me open the properties info for...
  10. Deleted external drive files

Deleted external drive files: I tried posting in the technical community but no one replied. Windows 10 was updating and seemed to add my external WD drive to a Storage Spaces. When I tried to recover it using a restore tool it turned the files into something it doesn't recognize when I try to open...