Windows 10: Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network?

Discus and support Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, First time posting. Everything I found via search was from 2017 and no longer seemed relevant. My networking expertise extends to being able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DallasPessimist, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network?

Hello,

First time posting. Everything I found via search was from 2017 and no longer seemed relevant. My networking expertise extends to being able to google search whenever something doesn't work.

I've just installed Windows 10 for the first time on my own computer. I've been holding on to my Windows 7 machine for as long as possible just to avoid the learning curve (and all the negatives) that comes with this new OS. I built a new desktop machine and am having trouble browsing for my other networked devices, specifically computers and my file server (running unRAID).

I understand that Homegroup is no longer available, which I suspect would make seeing my other Windows machines much easier. All of my machines (including my new Win10 box) are in the same network workgroup. I'm able to map drives to specific shares that I know the names of (with the exception of one that requires credentials, but the correct credentials aren't working), but this question is about browsing my own network. I understand that part of the problem is that an older, insecure protocol called SMB is no longer supported, but I'm not able to find out how to work around this issue. I've tried a couple of suggestions with no success. Anyone else have any ideas?

Any specific info needed to help me?

Thanks in advance!

:)

DallasPessimist, Apr 18, 2019
  2. RDyerIII Win User

Windows 10 Pro losing network browsing computers

Am using Windows 10 Pro on 6 computers out of 25, all others are still running Windows 7 Pro, except my 2 DC's both running 2012 Server (One is a WINS Server). All using static IP's, with WINS IP for computers which use VPN. All computers except BRL computers
    on same subnet. As updates continue for Windows 10 Pro I am losing my network browsing ability (limited computers in list, see 2nd pic below). Computers are disappearing from the browse list. I can still connect to these computers using UNC, Ping them, and
    search for them through Search AD on the active toolbar from network and find them all (see first pic below). Programs that we use such as ProEngineer WF4, cannot see ANY computers from file\open\network within the program. This is quite frustrating for my
    users and me. I have left the Domain, rejoined the Domain, tried to change settings to no avail. Please help or correct issue with update.....................................
    Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? 2f666d41-7920-419e-b732-4481a658be95.jpg

Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? 388d1683-067a-4a18-b778-7dcf555a7ac4.jpg

RDyerIII, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Unable to browse network computers.

We suggest creating a new administrator user account by following the steps
    here
    . Make sure to use the same network settings that you used for your other computers, then check if you can connect to the home network. Since you also mentioned that Windows 10 was freshly installed on this particular computer, have you already downloaded
    the latest updates? The latest build for Version 1607 is 14393.1715, and 15063.608 for Version 1703. You can check the build version of your computer by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type winver and press Enter.

If you don't have the latest updates, you can follow these steps to install them:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click Update & security.
    • Click Check for updates.

If that doesn't work, we'd like screenshots of the network and file sharing settings of the computer that doesn't work, and the settings of one of your other computers that can connect and share files properly on the home network.

Yolvi Ell, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network?

File Server over network

Well, here's how to map a network drive in Windows 7:

First in "My computer" select Map Network Drive. As you can see below I already have one mapped from my server "Ninebreaker".

Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? capture1-jpg.jpg

Then, select the drive letter you want to use and click browse, or manually type the address: //[server name or IP]/[path]

Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? capture2-jpg.jpg

Lastly, if going through the browse, you should come up with this window, just select the server from the list, then the folder or hard drive that's shared and you're done. The mapped drive should pop up in "My Computer". As you can see, My main rig (Dragons-Crest) and the server (Ninebreaker), the later one listing the folders that are shared.

Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? capture3-jpg.jpg

Hope it helps, let me know if you need anything else *Big Grin Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? :D

EDIT: Just saw you use Server 2012... I never actually used it, but it should be very similar, since mapping hard drives on older windows was basically the same as on 7.

*Toast :toast:

TriggerWolf, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network?

1. Not able to see/browse networked computers/servers in Windows 10 Pro on my home network? - Similar Threads - able browse networked

2. HOME NETWORK AND SERVER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOME NETWORK AND SERVER: how do I setup a home network? one device is windows 10 and the other is windows 10 upgraded to windows 11. the windows 11 I also want to setup as a server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-network-and-server/85a71c6a-03c2-45c0-a5ce-5e7c76ad0b4d
  3. Networking: Windows Home not seeing Windows Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networking: Windows Home not seeing Windows Pro: Hello. I am trying to network two computers PC-1 Win 10 Pro 21H2 and PC-2 Win 10 Home 22H2. My PC-1 active network is T&D5 and PC-2 is Ivey. They are both connected with an ethernet cable to a D-Link switcher which is in turn connected to the same router. The Advanced sharing...
  4. Networking: Windows Home not seeing Windows Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networking: Windows Home not seeing Windows Pro: Hello. I am trying to network two computers PC-1 Win 10 Pro 21H2 and PC-2 Win 10 Home 22H2. My PC-1 active network is T&D5 and PC-2 is Ivey. They are both connected with an ethernet cable to a D-Link switcher which is in turn connected to the same router. The Advanced sharing...
  5. Networking: Windows Home not seeing Windows Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking: Windows Home not seeing Windows Pro: Hello. I am trying to network two computers PC-1 Win 10 Pro and PC-2 Win 10 Home. My PC-1 active network is T&D5 and PC-2 is Ivey. They are both connected with an ethernet cable to a D-Link switcher which is in turn connected to the same router. The Advanced sharing settings...
  6. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.: I have 4 computers on a home network. One computer can not see itself in NETORK on File Explorer. The other 3 computers all running Win 10 21H2 can see each other but not the one computer that can see itself. I tried the suggestion of enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing...
  7. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.: I have 4 computers on a home network. One computer can not see itself in NETORK on File Explorer. The other 3 computers all running Win 10 21H2 can see each other but not the one computer that can see itself. I tried the suggestion of enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing...
  8. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Cannot See Computer on Home Network

Cannot See Computer on Home Network: I have 2 desk top computers on a Home Network: Al and Mary Lou. Mary Lou can see Al (see attachment 1), but Al cannot see Mary Lou (see attachment 2) - it can see Mary Lou's media device, but not the computer. Mary Lou's folders are set to Share with "All." (see attachment...
  10. See Other Computer on Home Network

See Other Computer on Home Network: Tried seems everything. One computer on home network can see and access public folders of the other 4 computers. But, other 4 computers cannot do same. All are running updated Windows 10. All sharing and network discovery turned on. Went out to command prompt as...